Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How many put their V away for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many put their V away for the winter?

As the title asks, How many of you put your V away for the winter? I've had mine put away for only 3 weeks now, but miss driving it already and still have a few months to go. I just can't stomach driving it in the Utah snow. Oh well, it gives me something to look forward to and time to add new mods.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Mine's been put away since the week before Halloween. Going through major withdrawal here.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I'll get mine out for the winter... The "extreme summer tires" will probably even be ok for the winter on it
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Mines getting put up in about a week. Then it's mod time!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_fast_one
Mines getting put up in about a week. Then it's mod time!
I'm gonna start some mods pretty soon as well. What mods are you doing?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

The C5 gets to nap during winter, but the V just had its annual switch to the winter wheels and tires.

It only gets pulled out when the wife and I can't together to work, but it does great in the slushy snowy stuff.

Jay
Old 11-25-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roidz24
I'm gonna start some mods pretty soon as well. What mods are you doing?
I have creative steel/ultra mounts motor mounts and tranny mount along with monster stage 2 clutch and 18lb fw in the mail now and hopfully headers and cam in acouple months before summer.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Doesn't snow here in Miami, but this year I am gonna be in Chicago. Gotta load the trunk up with 300lbs of salt to keep those blizzaks planted!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i would park a 4 door vehicle with modern stability controls..... what would i drive around in the winter? a ninja? z06?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I drive an 85 ford f150 4x4 farm truck/wood hauler and all around beater around in the winter
Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

i guess this is why most of you northern guys have low mileage V's. i wish i could put mine away for the winter but i cant stop driving it. its not easy going from a V to a 94 toyota pickup
Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I carpool with a friend in the winter since the days are short and you can't do anything outside after work. I dont cheat when its my week to ride which makes that first drive on Sunday so fun, especially since mr LS6 loves our avg highs (40s/50s).

I can't imagine what it's like NOT being able to drive the car for months...well, maybe I could if my other car was a nice truck.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_fast_one
I have creative steel/ultra mounts motor mounts and tranny mount along with monster stage 2 clutch and 18lb fw in the mail now and hopfully headers and cam in acouple months before summer.
Five bucks says no way are you gonna be able to hold out "a couple of months" after you've done those mods. I'd be going nuts!

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
... I can't imagine what it's like NOT being able to drive the car for months ...
You get kind of numb after a while. But, at the prospects of a good day coming, the excitement of firing her up again is great!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Covered up and put into hibernation today.

My reason for doing so isn't the difficulty in being able to negotiate in snow/ice/slush.... whatever.
The correct tires makes that a non-issue.
Although winter tires for a V2 are big $$$ and the choices are few.

I'm just wa-a-y too **** about the condition of my V. The salt that road crews use can be so insidious on the undercarriage and in all the nooks and crannies. Then the grit/cinders or whatever they use for icy roads is like sandblasting effect to the front bumper and windshield. That grit doesn't go away until after a few good rains wash it away in the spring.

And I will never-ever take my car through a car wash. Always hand wash it.
Now that can be a real challenge on a sunny day when the 'high' temp for the day is below freezing. The water forms icicles on the car.... assuming that you can get your hose to unreel and the water to flow through it. (If you have a heated garage with drainage, then life is good for you and I'm envious)

GM put summer tires on my V2, so I guess they didn't want me to drive it in the winter.

YES..... 3 to 4 months without driving my V really sucks.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg
Covered up and put into hibernation today.

My reason for doing so isn't the difficulty in being able to negotiate in snow/ice/slush.... whatever.
The correct tires makes that a non-issue.
Although winter tires for a V2 are big $$$ and the choices are few.

I'm just wa-a-y too **** about the condition of my V. The salt that road crews use can be so insidious on the undercarriage and in all the nooks and crannies. Then the grit/cinders or whatever they use for icy roads is like sandblasting effect to the front bumper and windshield. That grit doesn't go away until after a few good rains wash it away in the spring.

And I will never-ever take my car through a car wash. Always hand wash it.
Now that can be a real challenge on a sunny day when the 'high' temp for the day is below freezing. The water forms icicles on the car.... assuming that you can get your hose to unreel and the water to flow through it. (If you have a heated garage with drainage, then life is good for you and I'm envious)

GM put summer tires on my V2, so I guess they didn't want me to drive it in the winter.

YES..... 3 to 4 months without driving my V really sucks.
Yeah, same here. I'm just too picky with my V and don't even take it out if it rains. Keeps it nice and clean underneath though.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=rand49er;12547305]Five bucks says no way are you gonna be able to hold out "a couple of months" after you've done those mods. I'd be going nuts!
Yeah your probably right but I'm going to try and keep the miles down this winter and just mod it as I can afford to.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Living in the south is why I go through sports cars like candy. I've run several fbodys up to 100k miles and I'm just hoping I can keep the miles off this car, but its not looking like it. I bought it over the summer with 40k miles...its about to turn 50k..lol I did take the bike to work for the last week because of my coolant leak and this kick *** weather.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

my v is a daily driven baby bus for my kids so it for sure isnt gonna get a winter vacation
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Default SRX and Grand Cherokee

I haven't put mine away yet and watch the extended weather daily to determine the last day(s) to get it washed and away dry. I have a barn/garage that isn't heated and use a cover with a car jacket to keep the moisture out (dessicant bags inside a sealed cover/barrier. This does get a person to count days and wish some of life away until spring but once the thermometer hits sixty degrees in March it's better than sex...married 21 years

I have an '09 Grand Cherokee and an '09 SRX for winter so it isn't so bad of a wait...the V is even faster in March
Attached Thumbnails How many put their V away for the winter?-019.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EHam
i guess this is why most of you northern guys have low mileage V's. i wish i could put mine away for the winter but i cant stop driving it. its not easy going from a V to a 94 toyota pickup
my 05 just rolled in the 20k mile range before I put it up in the early part of october, its a nice feeling knowing she's all detailed and snuggled up allll winter long. My transition vehicle a 2002 gmc z71, like your ricer truck is too an unwanted switch... O well, its worth it

Quick Reply: How many put their V away for the winter?