Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Want a maggie alternative?........

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a page to read. It should give you a better overall understanding. It is about turbochargers but the principals are the same. Its a good read. http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm
Old 12-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Launching!

It's about Density. Larger volume with same pressure should equate to cooler.
Cool is Good. Cooler = more molecules per cubic centimeter.

Last edited by Stepside; 12-31-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is like talking to Naf.

All I'm saying is that there's no way you're going to get way over 5xx rwhp with a boost of 6.4 psi UNLESS the IATs are WA-A-A-Y down. I don't care what FI device you're using. You're still taking air at atmospheric pressure and decreasing it's volume to fit into the combustion chamber of an LS6 motor. If you end up with the absolute pressure inside that cylinder being 14.7 psi plus 6.4 psi, then unless the temperature is dramatically lower than some other FI device doing it, then it's not going to get dramatically more combustible air in there hence not dramatically more power.

Tell me the IATs are way lower compared to a maggie PLEASE, and I'll believe you, but don't say that because the FI device is bigger there's more air in there when the pressure is no different.

Is it getting close to happy hour yet?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er
This is like talking to Naf.

All I'm saying is that there's no way you're going to get way over 5xx rwhp with a boost of 6.4 psi UNLESS the IATs are WA-A-A-Y down. I don't care what FI device you're using. You're still taking air at atmospheric pressure and decreasing it's volume to fit into the combustion chamber of an LS6 motor. If you end up with the absolute pressure inside that cylinder being 14.7 psi plus 6.4 psi, then unless the temperature is dramatically lower than some other FI device doing it, then it's not going to get dramatically more combustible air in there hence not dramatically more power.

Tell me the IATs are way lower compared to a maggie PLEASE, and I'll believe you, but don't say that because the FI device is bigger there's more air in there when the pressure is no different.

Is it getting close to happy hour yet?
of coarse the iats are way lower than a maggie. The maggie has to work twice as hard to get the same amount of air into the cylinders. The whipple is much more efficient at pumping air into the cylinders. I dont know how many other ways we can tell you that. Believe what you will. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Randy,
We can agree that a given volume of charge that is cooler, is also denser. So, when that intake valve opens on the engine with the 3.3L, there is a slightly denser mixture.Therefore, it will produce more combustible force. But, ahhhh, let's look at the RPM in which this occurs. Let's look at the streetable RPM range and what both superchargers produce at a given RPM. I have to agree with you on what I believe are figures that seem to be inflated.
'Mr.Magna' with his little supercharger, will produce more torque under the curve at a lower RPM than 'Mr.Wipple's Big One'.
In other words . . . 'Mr. Magna' can get it up quicker and be pumpin' harder & stronger, while 'Mr.Whipple' will still be flaccid until his screw type mechanism is spinning fast enough to pass 'Mr.Magna'.
Remember: Streetable RPMs. Dyno results are bragging rights, but it's the street, where we meet.
And that's the way it is.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

i think you are wrong on that. According to the dyno the whipple made over 500ft/lbs at 3000 rpm. That is a very streetable rpm. the whipple puts out 3.3l of air per revolution, you wont experience the lag like a larger turbo vs smaller one. They both make power from the instant you stab the throttle.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

The whipplecharger compresses the air, the eaton style supercharger does not. At a steady state cruise, the whipple will use more power to spin, whereas the eaton uses less. The whipple should make more power everywhere, it pushes more air at the same rpm as an eaton of the same displacement. Anyone remember when Top Fuel started using whipples instead of eaton based blowers? They were quickly outlawed because they radically drove up engine outputs, and the sanctioning bodies feared that safety would become an issue. The Eaton supercharger is a great blower, it's been updated over the years. The whipple is superior when performance is concerned, but it is more expensive. I used to have an MP62 supercharger on a Miata. The rotors were 3 lobes with a curl to them similar to a whipple. Coincidence, I think not.

You want to maximize the output and longevity of your magnacharger? Have it ported and the rotors and case coated. I've had 2 eaton based blowers, an M45 and MP62, ported and coated by Embree Machine, and both performed beyond my expectations.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 02QSJOHN
i think you are wrong on that. According to the dyno the whipple made over 500ft/lbs at 3000 rpm. That is a very streetable rpm. the whipple puts out 3.3l of air per revolution, you wont experience the lag like a larger turbo vs smaller one. They both make power from the instant you stab the throttle.
Don't make me get 'whipple envy' . . . I can't afford it . . . besides, your killin' my mojo

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want a maggie alternative?.......
Got one already. No belt problems, no heat soak, no IAT issues, no extra weight on the front end.....
Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scatillac
Got one already. No belt problems, no heat soak, no IAT issues, no extra weight on the front end.....
PICTURES PLEASE!!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepside
PICTURES PLEASE!!
Here's the most current but they're concentrating mostly on the MAF/intake tube and the front portion of the intake manifold. It actually looks more like the generic Gen4 now.

I have some earlier ones but they're before the changes.

You can see why I'm not able to use the Davis radiator that Darkman was showing.
Attached Thumbnails Want a maggie alternative?........-powrmaxmaf1.jpg   Want a maggie alternative?........-powrmaxmaf.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's two more I didn't realize that I had these....
Attached Thumbnails Want a maggie alternative?........-lsxr_ls7.jpg   Want a maggie alternative?........-102maf_tube.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

the high numbers are very easy to explain in my mind at least.
it's the crazy correction factor they use in Colorado.
take a look at pretty much all shop numbers you see from Colorado and you will see they are crazy high compared to everywhere else.
bring the car down and dyno at sea level and I bet you see numbers closer to what you expect.
been seeing it for 10+ years on the LS1 boards
Old 01-01-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

10+ years eh? So "they" have all been wrong for 10 years now and you have been the right one?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

did I ever claim correctness ?

just giving a logical explaination of the high numbers.

take it or leave it.

oh wait I see why your comment is as it is......

dyno your car closer to sea level one day and prove the theory wrong
Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

I call it how I see it. Your first comment made you sound like a kid burned because someone made more hp than you a few times.

Anywho, I won't cloud up this thread anymore than I already have so let's hear your worthless two cents also so we can move on.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2nd2nunn
Whipple is about to release the 2.9 Intercooled S/C for the LS engines. i work at a shop in Phoenix and we have a ton of F-Bodys, CTS-V, C5 & C6 and 2010 camaros just waiting till after the new year when whipple will release them. It possibly looks like the S/C will clear the hood on the F-body. The 2010 camaro made 545/519 on 7 psi. Maggie take that
yeah i see tvs 2.3's needing full bolt ons and a cam to put out those numbers that the 2.9L whipple makes.

I cant wait for the f-body tuner kit to come out. if it performes nearly as good as it does for the LS3's imagin what it can do on a stroker
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice !
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Just wondering if this is a go? Are they currently selling this as a kit? Any pricing? Very interested in purchasing a FI kit this week. Want something other than a Maggie.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STS twin turbo, little more then a maggie but makes great power and youll be one of the few with one. I havent heard anything about a release date for a whipple for the V.

Quick Reply: Want a maggie alternative?........