Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Want a maggie alternative?........

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a maggie alternative?........

How about a 3.3L whipple that put down 524whp & 565wtq on an ls2 vette with 6.4psi (no intercooler). This kit also fits under the stock vette hood so I would assume it should fit our cars no problems. I emailed the guy..
"Hi,
I saw your 3.3L kits for c6 corvettes on your site and was wondering if you guys have a cts-v (LS2) kit or plan on making one in the future? Right now we seem to only have a tiny magnacharger as an option and would definitely prefer something like this if it is available. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John"

He responded with in 24 hours...
"John,
We do have a CTS-V kit…in fact we are about to release pictures of it later this week. Pricing is TBD but it’s going to be a little more than the C6 kit as it incorporates additional intake plumbing and an actual K&N filter system.
Thanks for the interest,
Peter"

This could get fun. I don't know if I am allowed to post the company on here as I am not sure they are a sponsor and all that bs but Ill try anyway.
http://www.dragonrace.com/

(ps. they do offer a kit for the c5 z06 so they may also have a kit available for your crappy ls6 car )
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02QSJOHN
How about a 3.3L whipple that put down 524whp & 565wtq on an ls2 vette with 6.4psi (no intercooler). This kit also fits under the stock vette hood so I would assume it should fit our cars no problems. I emailed the guy..
"Hi,
I saw your 3.3L kits for c6 corvettes on your site and was wondering if you guys have a cts-v (LS2) kit or plan on making one in the future? Right now we seem to only have a tiny magnacharger as an option and would definitely prefer something like this if it is available. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John"

He responded with in 24 hours...
"John,
We do have a CTS-V kit…in fact we are about to release pictures of it later this week. Pricing is TBD but it’s going to be a little more than the C6 kit as it incorporates additional intake plumbing and an actual K&N filter system.
Thanks for the interest,
Peter"

This could get fun. I don't know if I am allowed to post the company on here as I am not sure they are a sponsor and all that bs but Ill try anyway.
http://www.dragonrace.com/

(ps. they do offer a kit for the c5 z06 so they may also have a kit available for your crappy ls6 car )

Whipple is about to release the 2.9 Intercooled S/C for the LS engines. i work at a shop in Phoenix and we have a ton of F-Bodys, CTS-V, C5 & C6 and 2010 camaros just waiting till after the new year when whipple will release them. It possibly looks like the S/C will clear the hood on the F-body. The 2010 camaro made 545/519 on 7 psi. Maggie take that
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

I used to live near Broomfield, CO where this shop is located and have had them do work on my CTS-V on two different occasions (See the last part of my signature "D.R.E. Dyno Tune") and have been very happy with their work. They are a really good bunch of guys and they have integrity and don't try to screw anybody.

With that being said, their prices seem pretty high and their invoices leave a lot to be desired. I like to know exactly where my money is going when having shops work on my car and their invoices don't really show very much, just a little nitpick.

Overall, I highly recommend this shop (Dragon Race/Pro Street Engineering) and will not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

On a side note, these guys build some sick Vettes and all GM cars. They have a package for C6s called the Legendary Edition, and some way they come with with 900 HP (stroker motors, H/C/I, blower, etc.). Those cars appraise up in the mid $100,000 range.

When my warranty runs out (and when I actually have enough disposable income to do so), I am most likely going to turn these guys loose on my car and have them do a lot of custom work (body panels, engine, paint, etc.) and make it into a true beast. Part of that equation may be one of these blowers if it turns out they work well on the CTS-V platform.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'm like 10mins from this shop if anyone wants me to go snoop around lol
Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over 500rwhp at 7 psi, that is awesome. An intercooler could be optional at that boost pressure since the whipple runs cooler, anyway.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Hmmmm.....very interesting. Hope to see more info soon.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

neat-o
Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deedubb
I'm like 10mins from this shop if anyone wants me to go snoop around lol

well he said they plan to have pics this week. Maybe they have the cts-v test mule there you can look at and snap some pics of. I am very excited about this.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well he said they plan to have pics this week. Maybe they have the cts-v test mule there you can look at and snap some pics of. I am very excited about this.
bet your not as excited about the price, built motor territory with top notch parts for that price.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

Brent (from the Dragon Race Shop) just called me up last night and told me a little about this Whipple for V's. He likes to entice me with shiny new performance parts from time to time...(good salesman) I asked him if it would be OK for me to post his pix of this setup, and he said that would be fine.

Anyway, he sent me some iPhone pix of the Whipple (3.3 L) installed on an LS6 CTS-V. Notice the custom intake tubing and the small cut to the radiator shroud. It looks like a sweet setup. Also, the stock strut tower bar still fits over the blower.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Want a maggie alternative?........-whipplels6_1.jpg   Want a maggie alternative?........-whipplels6_2.jpg  
Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

wow, thats nice! I didn't realize I had such competition near by. I wonder who and where the owner is from. I may have to mosey on over to take a gander.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Thats awesome that it fit under the stock brace!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, I think I am having maggie buyers remorse....nah not really, but dam that looks good!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great, and clearing the current brace/hood is a big bonus, as you cannot do that with a KB. Hopefully we can see some numbers soon. Do you know the max boost from the 3.3L, as 524/565 with 6.4psi is impressive, but I am sure more can be had with the pulley swap.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadcad
... Do you know the max boost from the 3.3L, as 524/565 with 6.4psi is impressive ...
That's more than impressive ... that just doesn't compute in my book ... UNLESS there's a bunch a heap more than just a bolt-on S/C involved.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er
That's more than impressive ... that just doesn't compute in my book ... UNLESS there's a bunch a heap more than just a bolt-on S/C involved.

its the volume of the supercharger. 3.3L of air with each revolution. By comparison the mp112 is only 1.8L per revolution and the mp 122 is 2.0L per revolution. That is a BIG volume difference.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Whipple also makes a 4.0L Twin Screw for Stangs and FGTs, you probably could make 25+psi with this unit.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the volume of the supercharger. 3.3L of air with each revolution. By comparison the mp112 is only 1.8L per revolution and the mp 122 is 2.0L per revolution. That is a BIG volume difference.
We're talking about increasing the pressure basically in the combustion cylinder to levels above atmospheric pressure which at sea level is about 14.7 psi. The more air you pack in, the higher the pressure (i.e. boost) is, and the higher the power the motor produces. Two forced induction devices providing the same boost level will cause a motor to produce the same hp, all else being equal (IATs, A/F, spark timing, etc), thus I'm just not seeing how FI levels of 6.4 psi can produce those levels of power without the presence of other mods such as H/C, headers, tune, E85/racing fuel, etc plus an optimized tune.

If you're talking a higher volume S/C pushing air into the cylinders of an LS6 (or an LS2), then you're talking higher pressures, too. You can't claim you're using a bigger S/C with more volume putting more air in and not also have higher (boost) pressures, again all else being equal.

Am I missing something here?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more efficient superchargers or turbochargers require less work to put more air into the motor. Put a say te-44 turbo(grand national upgrade) on and run 14 psi, then bolt up a te-66, you wont need to run as much boost out of the 66 to put the same amount of air into the motor as the 44 because the 66 is more efficient and displaces the air better.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er
We're talking about increasing the pressure basically in the combustion cylinder to levels above atmospheric pressure which at sea level is about 14.7 psi. The more air you pack in, the higher the pressure (i.e. boost) is, and the higher the power the motor produces. Two forced induction devices providing the same boost level will cause a motor to produce the same hp, all else being equal (IATs, A/F, spark timing, etc), thus I'm just not seeing how FI levels of 6.4 psi can produce those levels of power without the presence of other mods such as H/C, headers, tune, E85/racing fuel, etc plus an optimized tune.

If you're talking a higher volume S/C pushing air into the cylinders of an LS6 (or an LS2), then you're talking higher pressures, too. You can't claim you're using a bigger S/C with more volume putting more air in and not also have higher (boost) pressures, again all else being equal.

Am I missing something here?
You are confusing volume with pressure. They are not one in the same. No one would upgrade to larger turbos or superchargers if the smaller turbo would give the same hp as the larger at the same psi. Air is compressible and thus 15psi out of a 3.3l supercharger is a lot more air volume compressed in the cylinder than a 1.9l supercharger at 15psi. I'll try to find you something that explains it a little better..

Quick Reply: Want a maggie alternative?........