Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cadillac Haters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I had a cobra guy stare me down one day, as I was easily walking past him through 2nd and 3rd gear. Started 2 lengths behind him and by the end of 3rd my rear bumper was in front of his front bumper. He was not very happy.
Lol! Must have been a bone stock cobra or a 99-01.

Coming from an 03 cobra myself... bone stock, it would pull a V easily and with just a 2.8lb upper pulley ($60), it would murder it.

And dont get me wrong, i love V's and they run good for what they are but lets be realistic here at the same time. Im looking for a V now for the mix of performance/luxury. I dont mind sacrificing some performance to be in something a little more practical for daily driving with some added comfort and luxury. As far as the performance/performance comparison goes though... the cobra kills the V.

As far as people reactions to the V, most people dont even know what it is especially with stock exhaust in stock form. The noise and the 6-spd is what surprises people because they dont expect a caddy to sound like that and be manual. My buddies HPE heads/cam V with full exhaust gets looks/compliments all the time and it hauls some pretty good *** too. We were at the gas station the other day and had a guy come out and was like "Wtf? all that rumble is coming from a cadillac?!?". lol We explained what it was and he was amazed and took pics. It also helps that my buddies exhaust is loud as hell and that .605/.608 cam sounds pretty insane!

Thats actually the V im looking into buying now myself. He says he's gonna give me a good deal if i want it so if it ends up as good as i hope, it'll be my new daily.

Hands down even though the cobra dominates in the performance aspect, these V's have way more class, way more luxury and get way more respect than a "mustang". Only mustang junkies can actually appreciate the cobra and what it is. Like the V, most people on the road think a cobra is just another mustang... until they hear the blower scream! lol
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

corbra is nice for sure. but the v wil out handle it most of the time. not talking straight line, but in the turns.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

i went to the track and everyone was like a cadillac at the track wtf?? even the anouncer in the loudspeaker made a smart comment. You should have seen/heard their jaws hit the floor when i took off. i know cause my buddies told me and i saw the video. got a couple of pullied, ported and even KB cobras under my belt. But the best ones were some supras during the supra nationals. They didn't want to get next to me anymore LOL
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, this thread really took off..

The point I was more or less trying to make is there seems to be a bit of jealousy(?) or just envy of the Cadillac driver. I haven't had any negative feedback towards the car itself, but more directed towards me by the fact that I own one, along wth my other 3 cars..
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

You will also notice that people tend to be less friendly on the roads when you drive the Caddy. They won't let you in as often, even when you signal. A lof of them will accelerate to close a gap if they see you coming. Probably just their way of "getting even" with the big cheese Caddy owner, for themselves failing at life.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

I've learned that people just don't get it. "Why buy a Cadillac? A Corvette.... Cadillac? Huh? Why go to the track? You drove to VA to go to a car dealership? You're wasting a weekend at Carlisle at a car show then going to the track a day later?" What they are really saying is. don't you have a better way to spend your money and time? I don't really bother telling people what's going on anymore. Family, friends. No one gets it but us.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You will also notice that people tend to be less friendly on the roads when you drive the Caddy. They won't let you in as often, even when you signal. A lof of them will accelerate to close a gap if they see you coming. Probably just their way of "getting even" with the big cheese Caddy owner, for themselves failing at life.
...except that we are faster than 99% of the daily driven cars on the road so that isnt a problem

Originally Posted by ahahnu
I've learned that people just don't get it. "Why buy a Cadillac? A Corvette.... Cadillac? Huh? Why go to the track? You drove to VA to go to a car dealership? You're wasting a weekend at Carlisle at a car show then going to the track a day later?" What they are really saying is. don't you have a better way to spend your money and time? I don't really bother telling people what's going on anymore. Family, friends. No one gets it but us.
lol I alwas get a "wow" out of people when I say I found my car in California..I'm in Louisiana.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

there were haters wen i had my 408ci c5, and there are haters now with my v........it takes time and energy to become a hater so it just makes me laugh
Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some crap from some of my friends, till i walked their bolt on fbodies with my BONE stock V. Anyone else that gives me crap i just tell em its a corvette with a back seat and that i have 2 other 2 seaters, and they usually shut up.

+1 for no one believeing its a manual. Even when i took it down to get the bumper painted they were amazed caddi made anything with a stick.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Launching!

I tell people I drove 8 hours round trip in a day to get my V. They resond, you could not find one in town...I saw a bunch of them at "blah" dealership. I explain the "V" option and they just stare at me.

I agree, people will always think it was really expensive because of that cadillac logo on the front. When I bought mine a few guys at work joked around saying..."Someone just got a raise." Even had my boss's boss come over and joke around to my direct boss that apparently the guys in our department are making too much money. I park next to a '02 C5 vert and a '07 C6 Z51. Both the guys that own the vettes sit right next to me in the office.

I told people it was a manual and they think it is one of those sport-tronic ones. The automatic that can be manually shifted. It is hilarious when they will not believe that it is a Cadi and a manual.

There are other guys in the office who know exactly what the V is. They are very excited and can't wait to go for a ride. One guy came up to me and asked, "So how do you like the Cadi-Vette?" I thought that was a pretty good nickename for the V. As for the family, they all get it...I come from a very enthusiastic car family!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

It seems just about everyone who bought these 2nd hand had to take a road trip to pick theirs up. Just something else we all have in common..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

I had the dealer go get mine from California so I could trade my truck in
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whisler151
True, with that being said your average person on the street does not know you can buy a CTS-V for $17k.

Where can you get a CTSV for 17k?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Early last year I could have bought an bolt-on black 05 V with 60k miles in houston for $18k from a buddy. He bought a C6 Z06. If I could have sold my truck, I would have bought that.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
A cadillac will pretty much always be viewed as a high dollar car. People dont care if its 5 years old and that you paid half what it cost new....its still a cadillac in thre eyes. I get way way way more positive comments then negative. i actually havent had any negative, i rag on the car myself.....i tell people that ask about it its just a cadillac how fast could it be?
You hit the nail on the head... People in my area think I came into money...then again I/we di go out and purchase an '09 SRX after I got my '04 V. Most of my "friend" give weird looks my way and say "wouldn't want his car payments...then I totally smoke 'em...paid cash. Guess people don't save $$ anymore
Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02

Coming from an 03 cobra myself... bone stock, it would pull a V easily and with just a 2.8lb upper pulley ($60), it would murder it.
back wen i had a bone stock 01 ss and my buddy had a bone stock 04 cobra we were tied wen we ran 1-4th gear on the freeway.

he traded his cobra for a z28 and now he has a lid and full catless exhaust. so we set up a race and i pulled with no problem.

stock v vs stock cobra i think are pretty even
stock v vs pullie cobra v gets murdered
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And dont get me wrong, i love V's and they run good for what they are but lets be realistic here at the same time. Im looking for a V now for the mix of performance/luxury. I dont mind sacrificing some performance to be in something a little more practical for daily driving with some added comfort and luxury. As far as the performance/performance comparison goes though... the cobra kills the V.

As far as people reactions to the V, most people dont even know what it is especially with stock exhaust in stock form. The noise and the 6-spd is what surprises people because they dont expect a caddy to sound like that and be manual. My buddies HPE heads/cam V with full exhaust gets looks/compliments all the time and it hauls some pretty good *** too. We were at the gas station the other day and had a guy come out and was like "Wtf? all that rumble is coming from a cadillac?!?". lol We explained what it was and he was amazed and took pics. It also helps that my buddies exhaust is loud as hell and that .605/.608 cam sounds pretty insane!

Thats actually the V im looking into buying now myself. He says he's gonna give me a good deal if i want it so if it ends up as good as i hope, it'll be my new daily.

Hands down even though the cobra dominates in the performance aspect, these V's have way more class, way more luxury and get way more respect than a "mustang". Only mustang junkies can actually appreciate the cobra and what it is. Like the V, most people on the road think a cobra is just another mustang... until they hear the blower scream! lol
try that on an 09-up V and its a waaaay different story lol!

Originally Posted by Killer
Where can you get a CTSV for 17k?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1581956642.html
under $17K and 82K miles

*Edit: Hell, heres one for $14.5K LOL
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1582458051.html

Last edited by 1bad2k; 02-13-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
try that on an 09-up V and its a waaaay different story lol!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1581956642.html
under $17K and 82K miles

*Edit: Hell, heres one for $14.5K LOL
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1582458051.html
Lol! I agree there but on the 1st gen V's, the cobra will still beat it bone stock and not many cobras are running around without at least a pulley which makes a huge difference.

Really just depends on mods done to each as to which will win but being FI, the cobra obviously has the big upper hand! Not many V's out there beating cobras but i still love em!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

its called haters man... there jealous
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol! I agree there but on the 1st gen V's, the cobra will still beat it bone stock and not many cobras are running around without at least a pulley which makes a huge difference.

Really just depends on mods done to each as to which will win but being FI, the cobra obviously has the big upper hand! Not many V's out there beating cobras but i still love em!
yeah its really all about what you want/need. for as quick as the V is with a small cam, longtubes, headwork and the luxury that comes with it, its for me. i did the whole mustang thing for about a decade and know that im done with it. Stock vs. stock, a V1 cant compete in a drag race.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Haters?