Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Diff Bushing Question (Warranty Denied)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I did not know that..thats good info.
People say that the new diff has blown, and it has. But on the 04-05 platform. I do not know all that was changed between 05 and 06. But it was enough to not have any LS2 cars blow the rear.

Many people have tried retrofitting 06/07 diffs and axles and they still blew the rear after hard driving and time. GM made other small changes that have kept the rear from blowing. Yes, 06/07 Vs are still plagued with wheel hop, but no blown diffs.

Doing the axle swap on a 05 and 07 V, I (and Dannboss) know that there are subtle differences to the rear setup.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whisler151
People say that the new diff has blown, and it has. But on the 04-05 platform. I do not know all that was changed between 05 and 06. But it was enough to not have any LS2 cars blow the rear.

Many people have tried retrofitting 06/07 diffs and axles and they still blew the rear after hard driving and time. GM made other small changes that have kept the rear from blowing. Yes, 06/07 Vs are still plagued with wheel hop, but no blown diffs.

Doing the axle swap on a 05 and 07 V, I (and Dannboss) know that there are subtle differences to the rear setup.
The 04-05 and 06-07 platform is exactly the same. everything is interchangeable between the years.
both driveshafts are the same, you can use either 04-07 axles wth either differenial.

In 06-07 has diffrent axles and a diffrent differenial.
If you swap 06 axle and a 06 diff into a 05 , its exactly the same.

I remeber seeing a thread on cadi forums were someone blew a gen 2 diff, but he had some good power adders to.

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 02-14-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
The 04-05 and 06-07 platform is exactly the same. everything is interchangeable between the years.

In 06-07 has diffrent axles and a diffrent differenial.
If you swap 06 axle and a 06 diff into a 05 , its exactly the same.

I remeber seeing a thread on cadi forums were someone blew a gen 2 diff, but he had some good power adders to.
I said that there have been 2004/2005 CTS-Vs that have blown the new 2006/2007 diff. There are a handful of them out there. Most with significant power adders or habitual 6k rpm clutch dumpers.

I have done the axle swap on a 2005 and 2007 CTS-V. I can assure you not everything is the same. We did the 2005 V first and used that as the platform for the swap on my 2007. Once we got to my 2007 there were subtle difference in bolts and how things lined up.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

I said that there have been 2004/2005 CTS-Vs that have blown the new 2006/2007 diff. There are a handful of them out there. Most with significant power adders or habitual 6k rpm clutch dumpers.

I have done the axle swap on a 2005 and 2007 CTS-V. I can assure you not everything is the same. We did the 2005 V first and used that as the platform for the swap on my 2007. Once we got to my 2007 there were subtle difference in bolts and how things lined up.
Ive seen both a nothing looked diffrent on the cradle.

what exactly lined up diffrent ?

And you right about your diff not breaking , but I think you should still still be carefull if you take it to the strip.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are different how do i have the newest diff ( version 3) and 2006/2007 axles on my car? they might have newer bolt and what not, but if the bolt holes line up differently then how did it bolt up to my car without them having to add new holes?

your info has me wondering about this.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen both a nothing looked diffrent on the cradle.

what exactly lined up diffrent ?
I know the majority of parts on the rear end are the same. My Eibachs fit all years of the V, the Gforce axles fill all years of Vs, the 06/07 diff fits the 04/05 Vs. All I am saying is there is a reason there has not been a 2006 or 2007 model year CTS-V that has blown their rear diff (maybe a better torque curve helps) lol. There is more to it than just the rear differential. I am not an engineer nor a mechanic...I have no idea what it is that makes the V1.2 cars not susceptible to blowing rears.

Change the axle on a 2005 CTS-V and a 2007 CTS-V. I can GUARANTEE you the process is not identical. I've done it. As stated above, there are subtle changes. I am not going to tear my car and Danny's car (Dannboss) apart to photo and note all differences.

I apologize that I cannot be more detailed. It was a long time ago.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

I know the majority of parts on the rear end are the same. My Eibachs fit all years of the V, the Gforce axles fill all years of Vs, the 06/07 diff fits the 04/05 Vs. All I am saying is there is a reason there has not been a 2006 or 2007 model year CTS-V that has blown their rear diff (maybe a better torque curve helps) lol. There is more to it than just the rear differential. I am not an engineer nor a mechanic...I have no idea what it is that makes the V1.2 cars not susceptible to blowing rears.

Change the axle on a 2005 CTS-V and a 2007 CTS-V. I can GUARANTEE you the process is not identical. I've done it. As stated above, there are subtle changes. I am not going to tear my car and Danny's car (Dannboss) apart to photo and note all differences.

I apologize that I cannot be more detailed. It was a long time ago.

Did you hands on see both axle swaps in person? Or are you just going off what dan told you?

Cause I think I remeber you saying a shop did your axle install.

Reason I ask is im curious maybe its not even worth my upgrading to a newer gen diff.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you hands on see both axle swaps in person? Or are you just going off what dan told you?

Cause I think I remeber you saying a shop did your axle install.

Reason I ask is im curious maybe its not even worth my upgrading to a newer gen diff.
Yes, I did the swap myself. Danny and I spent hours at his house doing his axle and then doing mine. He and I only installed my passenger side. My shop did the driver side axle.

The newer diff is definitely worth it. There is a small percent out there that have broken the second gen diff.

When SilveradoSS500 had his 2005 V he said he tried to break the 06 diff and couldnt. Clutch dumps and hard launches. He may chime in here. There is no doubt that the 06/07 diff is leaps and bounds better than the 04/05.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Yes, I did the swap myself. Danny and I spent hours at his house doing his axle and then doing mine. He and I only installed my passenger side. My shop did the driver side axle.

The newer diff is definitely worth it. There is a small percent out there that have broken the second gen diff.

When SilveradoSS500 had his 2005 V he said he tried to break the 06 diff and couldnt. Clutch dumps and hard launches. He may chime in here. There is no doubt that the 06/07 diff is leaps and bounds better than the 04/05.
Hmm now im realy curious on exactly what is different...

ill keep an eye out for a ued 06-07 diff, but the thread on the cadi forums for the steel case is kindof keeping me from buying a gen 2 diff still..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

steel case?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm now im realy curious on exactly what is different...

ill keep an eye out for a ued 06-07 diff, but the thread on the cadi forums for the steel case is kindof keeping me from buying a gen 2 diff still..
I dont know all the specifics, but they did a much better job on the rears of the 2006/2007 Vs. For sure upgrade to the 06/07 diff. It is better than the glass one that you have now.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
steel case?
Yeah, Nutz on the Caddy forum has made a few and may be semi mass producing them.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-getting.html
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know all the specifics, but they did a much better job on the rears of the 2006/2007 Vs. For sure upgrade to the 06/07 diff. It is better than the glass one that you have now.
[/url]
Not sure on all the details either, but I know upgraded cooling fins and larger fluid capacity were added to the 06/07 diff.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
steel case?
ya but im not getting my hopes up to much..
if it gets made that would be sweet.

But who knows if its going to have a cadi tax .

Im kindof a " balller on a budget " , cant spend 4-5k on a differential
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya but im not getting my hopes up to much..
if it gets made that would be sweet.

But who knows if its going to have a cadi tax .

Im kindof a " balller on a budget " , cant spend 4-5k on a differential
lol..youve done pretty good so far..lol i have way to many bills and priorities to go dumping *** loads of dough into a car.. its nice to think about though
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whistler - Is the dealer still denying your warranty? I have a brand new stock bushing that I'll give to you if you want to replace it yourself. I am also expecting one of my bushing extractors to be returned this week. I'd just include the new bushing in the box when I ship out the tool, if you want. It is very simple to replace and should only take you about 1.5 hours your first time doing it.

aka PISNUOFF
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM

As I understand the differences in the factory Diffs... from what I have read - the diff casings are not as strong in the earlier ones, so the wheel hopping/ flexing of the case is what weakens and eventually cracks them.

The later ones were redesigned cases... especially focused even more to strengthen the input shaft area.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Whistler - Is the dealer still denying your warranty? I have a brand new stock bushing that I'll give to you if you want to replace it yourself. I am also expecting one of my bushing extractors to be returned this week. I'd just include the new bushing in the box when I ship out the tool, if you want. It is very simple to replace and should only take you about 1.5 hours your first time doing it.

aka PISNUOFF
I have a perfect condition stock bushing I could give you as well if Brian can't get you one for some reason. I completely forgot I had it. If you are going through the trouble of installing a stock style bushing though I would definitely get one from creative steel.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V

aka PISNUOFF
Originally Posted by SkullV
I have a perfect condition stock bushing I could give you as well if Brian can't get you one for some reason. I completely forgot I had it. If you are going through the trouble of installing a stock style bushing though I would definitely get one from creative steel.
Thanks guys! I will be in touch. Right now I have a loose wire somewhere that is causing me to loose power under hard acceleration. I will post video of it tonight.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search on the forums. I've read about someone else having the same issue. If I recall correctly, it was a loose ground or a wire melted by their headers.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Bushing Question (Warranty Denied)