Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extending the bottom of the shifter shortens the lever action it takes to shift gears. The slop comes from bushings on the linkage arms that support the shifter underneath.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1forlife1
sorry i just got my cts-v so im still learning... why did you guys weld that piece of pipe under the stock hole? (was it just to get a shorter shift through, or does it actaully clean up some shift slop?) could i just make a poly or steel sleeve to fit inside my stock hole and put on a good SS bolt and lock nut?
If you have excessive shifter slop, it's almost certainly due to the shifter bushings, not the shifter itself. There are a number of threads about replacing the bushings - either UUC or Creative Steel poly bushings are the way to go.

The reason for the piece of pipe welded on has been pretty well explained in this thread already, I think. As BudRacing said, it shortens the shift action.

And on a forum etiquette note, feel free to delete the extra pictures and text from my post that you quoted, since you were only asking a question about a single picture. The rest of the long quote is unnecessary and just clutters the thread.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you both! i like the idea of poly bushings a lot. i see creative steel sells just 2 though? dont i need 3? 2 for the mounts on the side of the trans, and one where the shifter joins the shift linkage rod?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, just 2. The connection from the shifter to the linkage is a solid connection. However, there are bushings on the front of the side support arms where they attach to the trans. I dont know of any aftermarket replacements for those, but some have used electrical nylon sheathing to squeeze in there and create their own firm bushing.

Quick Reply: Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!