Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

auxillary audio input | wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auxillary audio input | wiring questions

So about a year ago I followed the instructions in the FAQ, thereby successfully the cable I purchased from Radio Shack. It worked, didn't sound so bad, so I thought that was that.

Recently I've noticed a degradation in sound, so I did some testing and found out that a.) I had the channels switched (left & right) and b.) one of the channels now sounded terrible (no bass, voices were muted to the point of essentially being unintelligible). The reason the channels were switched is that my wires are the exact opposite of those in the FAQ (like others have experienced) and the sound was poor as the cheap-o crimp-style wire splicers I had used were coming loose.

Bottom line, I'm gonna redo it and make it right. My soldering skills lick monkey *****, but I want a secure connection. To that end, I'm going to replace the crimp connectors with Posi-Tap Connectors. I've used Posi-Lock™ products on my motorcycle and they are legit. The only remaining issue is, I don't know the gauge of the OEM wiring. The wiring is small (diameter), which makes me think it's 18-gauge or something.

So, does anyone know what gauge of wiring the OEM radio uses? Specifically I'm dealing with the wires were the left/right wires need to be spliced into the system. Just want to make certain I order the correct Posi-Tap Connectors.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just recently did this about 2 weeks ago & love it (hate looking at the screen & getting no info though).

I soldered my connections. I used a wireless soldering iron & it took some getting used to. My soldering skills are akin to a gorilla trying to do origami. Sounds perfect though & my channels were perfect. I tested it before buttoning up (click audio, sweep from left to right, heard right on the right, so it was all right).

I just need a cell phone mount for my EVO.

I've got a million dollar idea for a radio, just wish I had better business sense & electrical engineering skillz. I'll make it a kick *** website though!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to do this instead of buying the neo kit. Sounds just as good?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 408Maro
I'm going to do this instead of buying the neo kit. Sounds just as good?
Sounds great IMO. Was really easy to do as well. All told it took me less than 2 hours & that was taking a lot of breaks due to heat & dripping sweat all inside my interior.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Can you provide a link to the radio shack cable you purchased please? THanks
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great. I'm going to do it
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smashn808
Like the CHEAP *** that I am, I used the Apple 3' one that I already had.... WELLLLL it now comes out of my ash tray and is a MAJOR PITA due to the fact that I have to lay my iPhone down under the open ash tray door once it's plugged in. So buy the 6' basic aux cord. I'm sure somebody will chime in with a link.....It just has identical plugs on each end, one you will chop off.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I soldered my connections. I used a wireless soldering iron & it took some getting used to. My soldering skills are akin to a gorilla trying to do origami.
LOL! I'm right there with you; the thought of me getting anywhere near the guts of the V with a soldering iron makes me ill.

Seriously, though...what gauge are the wires coming out of the factory harness?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smashn808
http://tinyurl.com/3jx5wpn

Walk in, go to cables, find the 6ft black cable with 3.5mm male end on both ends. It's not rocket science.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Like the CHEAP *** that I am, I used the Apple 3' one that I already had.... WELLLLL it now comes out of my ash tray and is a MAJOR PITA due to the fact that I have to lay my iPhone down under the open ash tray door once it's plugged in. So buy the 6' basic aux cord. I'm sure somebody will chime in with a link.....It just has identical plugs on each end, one you will chop off.
I have about 3 of these 6ft white cables I use for random stuff. I still went & bought the RS cable to make the instructions easy. Even better is because the black cable blends with my interior (almost too well at times, finding it at night is by feel).
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop
LOL! I'm right there with you; the thought of me getting anywhere near the guts of the V with a soldering iron makes me ill.

Seriously, though...what gauge are the wires coming out of the factory harness?
I'm not an expert on wire gauge sizes, sorry. They're not that big, nor not that small. The RS cable is TINY though.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Use the red taps. I don't know the size, but the red taps work for the factory harness. The 3.5 wires are much smaller. I soldered them as I could do it on the bench and not in the car. When I followed the caddilacfaq instructions I got a horrible sound out of the sub in my car. I traced it to the ground not working and used a different ground and it has been fine. Just had to do something different to make it work for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Aaron Thomas
Use the red taps. I don't know the size, but the red taps work for the factory harness. The 3.5 wires are much smaller. I soldered them as I could do it on the bench and not in the car. When I followed the caddilacfaq instructions I got a horrible sound out of the sub in my car. I traced it to the ground not working and used a different ground and it has been fine. Just had to do something different to make it work for me.
Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I have about 3 of these 6ft white cables I use for random stuff. I still went & bought the RS cable to make the instructions easy. Even better is because the black cable blends with my interior (almost too well at times, finding it at night is by feel).
Yeah I found a 3' black one at WalMart today....I'm just gonna hack into the existing one and run it out where it's easier to get to.....If it presents a problem I'll take the radio back out and do it the RIGHT way....At least this way I can do it by just taking the ash tray insert out.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Yeah I found a 3' black one at WalMart today....I'm just gonna hack into the existing one and run it out where it's easier to get to.....If it presents a problem I'll take the radio back out and do it the RIGHT way....At least this way I can do it by just taking the ash tray insert out.
Geez man, I could have the radio out in 15mins after having done it once now.

I'd just do it right. Sucks to have to go thru all that, but man . . . do it right!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Freaking awesome, for some reason, when I hit 'band',I'm not getting xm showing up. It means my cable ain't working! Anyone know why xm would stop showing up?did I knock some cable loose?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Mine does the same thing every once and a while! And then all of a sudden it will start working again... I did the Aux thing from Cadillac Faqs a few months back and liked it but as I continued to use my phone to play music I got more and more irritated with the sound quality... I will have to check to see if I have wires crossed also but I never even use mine anymore and was actually thinking about pulling it all out... It just doesn't sound as good as the regular radio!
Freaking awesome, for some reason, when I hit 'band',I'm not getting xm showing up. It means my cable ain't working! Anyone know why xm would stop showing up?did I knock some cable loose?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Mine does the same thing every once and a while! And then all of a sudden it will start working again... I did the Aux thing from Cadillac Faqs a few months back and liked it but as I continued to use my phone to play music I got more and more irritated with the sound quality... I will have to check to see if I have wires crossed also but I never even use mine anymore and was actually thinking about pulling it all out... It just doesn't sound as good as the regular radio!
Exactly, it's intermittent because it started working again.

Sounds good though IMO . . . when it works.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Does yours sound as good if not better then the radio?
Exactly, it's intermittent because it started working again.

Sounds good though IMO . . . when it works.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Does yours sound as good if not better then the radio?
Mine sounds just as clear but nowhere near as loud. It seems like it will only go to about 75% of the radio or CD volume

Quick Reply: auxillary audio input | wiring questions