Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

auxillary audio input | wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I did this Sunday and so far sounds pretty good isn't as loud as radio itself but hey it was cheap
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Does yours sound as good if not better then the radio?
The audio quality on mine is as good as the MP3 playing on my phone.

I've gotten a couple of new things added to my aux cable setup:
Mountek CD Slot Mount MT5000-C
Nokia BH-214 Bluetooth headset
Monster SoniTalk Smartphone Cable

In a way, I have bluetooth in my car now over my speakers. I use the BH-214 for when I'm in & out of the car & don't want to keep replugging in my phone. The audio over it is awesome. Works ok for phone calls, but tends to pick up the speaker output too well & echos to the otherside for constant conversations (I use it for conference calls on the way to work where I don't talk much & only unmute the mic when I have just a lil to say).

The BH-214 works great to change tracks too w/o having to wake the phone to do it. It is clipped to something dangling from my mirror.

Otherwise, on longer trips I use the SoniTalk which works waaay better with the mic. It cancels out the speakers better & no one's complained about echos.

The only issue I have with either the BH-214/SoniTalk is that sometimes the call audio is low & it's hard to hear what is being said with a lot of road noise. I've been meaning to try changing the DSP/EQ settings to talk during calls to see if it helps. (Anyone know if the DSP/EQ settings are saved on channels when saving?)

The Mountek works great! Very sturdy, but could stand to close just 1 more click on my phone (Evo, 1st gen) to REALLY lock it down. If I push on the end, it will sometimes slide if I don't give it any other support. It rotates all which a ways.

I've tried another cell phone mount that was suction cup with a tacky spot to hold the phone. That didn't work. The phone would routinely fall out. Made it impossible to try to use the phone w/o knocking it off the mount. I had it suctioned to the DIC screen. Being in that position is what made me remember the Mountek & I'm glad I went with the Mountek. The only good thing about this mount was that it had a spot I could PERFECTLY clip my BH-214 to that was very sturdy & easy to interact with.

The Mountek works in either the DVD or CD slot. So you really have 4 mounting options (DVD with mount partially blocking A/C vents, DVD with mount blocking most of screen, CD with mount blocking some screen, CD almost blocking A/C controls). You MIGHT be able to get it in some slots between things, but I haven't given that a shot at all (they might make some with thinner blades for that?). I settled on CD blocking some screen. I liked it a little higher for visually tracking the phone, but the CD blocking some screen seems natural/perfect hand height for interacting with the screen while driving.

With all this, I almost want to hardwire in a USB charging port some where instead of relying on a cigarette plug. That way I could also make it ignition powered as well.

I'll post pics later.

Mountek demo vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8kTTR72Lg
Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I soldered the wires and all but why is my right side all messed up. Only gets the voice and sounds like the twilight zone on that side LOL. Rest sounds good
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Yeah 408, that's the problem with this mod. The price is right, but once u fade it to the passenger side its all over. SQ just isn't there for me. I have rewired and rewired this over and over. With XM hooked up w/out XM hooked up. New cables, different guage cables. Flip flop channels, switched ipods, swithed to my EVO, etc. No matter what, passenger side sounds tinny, echoed, and attenuated. It is an internal or input signal level problem on the head unit. I love cheap DIY and some on here will cry out "blasphemy!" , but the fact of the matter is the SQ is not there on this method. Unless of course, I have a defective head unit but it seems to be a problem with the same symptoms for many of us.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh thank you guess as it goes you get what you pay for. Figures
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have zero problems with SQ and balance on mine. Can you post pictures of your cabling? I didn't use any wire taps or anything on mine. I soldered straight to the back of the radio & I CUT the XM input wires. From the back of my stereo, I have about 3-4" of wire going straight to my RS cable. Did ya'll try wire taps?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Don't get me wrong 408, I love the free part of the deal and this mod works ok in the short term. But on a long road trip, it'll get to ya. Won't matter for me soon anyways, my DVD/nav slot has started to spit out discs and is makin disc error messages. Double din custom install coming soon...does anyone know if a regular cts radio, hvac, and DIC bezel would work in the V as well? Would like to keep tripometer, MPG, oil change, trouble messages, etc .
Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I soldered mine to the wires just like the install guide. And cut the xm wires aswell as you did
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 408Maro
So I soldered the wires and all but why is my right side all messed up. Only gets the voice and sounds like the twilight zone on that side LOL. Rest sounds good
So I ended up buying the 6' cable and taking the radio out and re-doing things the "right way".....After reading this and before I pulled the old setup off I checked the quality of the audio out. SAME THING here, if I leave the balance even it sounds (okay) but when I fade to the passenger side it sounds like an alien has crawled into my passenger door and is attempting to rap with the "TPain" autotune thing on. So while I had the radio out I tried every possible wire combination and I could never get the passenger side to sound anything remotely close to music......I'm still able to play my iTunes and Pandora which I couldn't before.....So I'm happier than I was and MUCH more than I'd be if I spent $100+ for a harness.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I feel you. Overall still happy I can listen to more then a radio or cd
Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Weird. Ya'll read the part where the pin out was different but the colors were the same regardless of year? I paid no attention to pin out & ONLY cut by color.

Quick Reply: auxillary audio input | wiring questions