Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

UUC Shifter Bushings= Waste

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfM3
The "shifter bushings" everyone talks about are the two on either side of the shifter linkages, not really connected to the shifter stick in any way. The only replacement for the bushing at the very bottom of the shifter stick is actually a bearing, sold with most aftermarket shifters. I don't know anyone who sells the bearing outright.
awesome, thank you so much! i didnt know if that was a problem on these cars too. it i was i would just do all 3 and call it a day.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Launching!

I got the same UUC's from Luke awhile ago, They've been sitting in my garage for weeks...lol

I plan on doing the short shifter mod at the same time, but I need to find someone who sells the bearing at the end of the shifter.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn
I got the same UUC's from Luke awhile ago, They've been sitting in my garage for weeks...lol

I plan on doing the short shifter mod at the same time, but I need to find someone who sells the bearing at the end of the shifter.
i saw creative steel has them on sale for 25$( i imagine plus shipping) but they didnt seem to have the slit in them like the stock ones...i might call up Luke @ L. Caddy
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rather than use a bearing at the bottom I machined a 2-piece aluminum bushing that so far has worked very well inconjunction with my Katech shifter and UUC shifter bushings.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1forlife1
i saw creative steel has them on sale for 25$( i imagine plus shipping) but they didnt seem to have the slit in them like the stock ones...i might call up Luke @ L. Caddy
They do have the slit. Otherwise you'd have to take it totally apart to install--not the case.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Rather than use a bearing at the bottom I machined a 2-piece aluminum bushing that so far has worked very well inconjunction with my Katech shifter and UUC shifter bushings.
My main issue is the sloppy side to side. I can be in gear and literally push the shifter over 3/4".

Did your bushing solve that?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
They do have the slit. Otherwise you'd have to take it totally apart to install--not the case.
Awesome thanks! im actually going to order a set today. I called L. Caddy and they are "in between suppliers" for any after market shifter bushing, and the guy didnt know if they will be sticking with UUC and it could be weeks before they get anything. so i will just by the creative steel ones, and if you say they have the slit, thats good enough for me! thanks a million!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

My main issue is the sloppy side to side. I can be in gear and literally push the shifter over 3/4".

i can move mine .75"-1" either way while in gear...haha i need the bushings!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My stock shifter setup was so sloppy and I changed everything at once so I am not sure if it was one particular item that worked really well or that all contributed the same amount. I can tell you that it was a complete night and day difference and the shifts are so much shorter and actually have a positive feel so you know you are in the correct gear.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
My stock shifter setup was so sloppy and I changed everything at once so I am not sure if it was one particular item that worked really well or that all contributed the same amount. I can tell you that it was a complete night and day difference and the shifts are so much shorter and actually have a positive feel so you know you are in the correct gear.
Makes sense. Any plans to sell that bushing?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Question

My 2004 CTS-V suddenly doesn't go in reverse either. However if I remove the boot I can shift into reverse with no trouble.

Before I go doing surgery, are these the bushings you guys are talking about (in blue)? I assume replacing these bushings should help with my reverse problem?

Was just under the car and it looks like the only way to get to these is by removing exhaust and possibly lowering the trans.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Even then you would not get them on. They have to be slit. Makes no difference once sandwiched in the housing anyway..
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goddfadda1
My 2004 CTS-V suddenly doesn't go in reverse either. However if I remove the boot I can shift into reverse with no trouble.

Before I go doing surgery, are these the bushings you guys are talking about (in blue)? I assume replacing these bushings should help with my reverse problem?

Was just under the car and it looks like the only way to get to these is by removing exhaust and possibly lowering the trans.

Thanks!

Those are not the bushings most people are talking about. Yes, you'd have to drop the trans to replace those particular bushings. I'd say 1% of the people here have done that.

Here's a rundown of the bushings on the shifter_
Linkage, there are 3 arms, 2 outer and the center,as you see pictured here. On the Trans side of these arms, you can replace the bushings, but it requires dropping the and some creativity. I've recently done them all but the Trans is still sitting in a room, not on the car, so I can't report their effectiveness.

On the other side of these arms, for the outer 2 arms that connect to the shifter base, your can get bushings from cs or uuc that take out some of slop. You can also get bushings for the center arm where it connects to bottom of the shifter stalk. This will take out some slop too. Most aftermarket shifters will come with these. At this location you could also replaced the threaded bolt with a carriage bolt to reduce play. Once you do that you'll find that the only play lefty is at the Trans..

Last edited by Cadzilla; 10-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is due to bushing wear where the 3 arms connect to the Trans and movement of the piece that the center arm connects to at the Trans (it swivels, and allows some clockwise/counterclockwise movement even with solid brass bushings instead of plastic.

Even with these replaced, and everything tightened, pure geometry and gear movement will dictate some play. When I get my Trans back in I'll tell you exactly how much play you can ever expect to remove, in or out of gear...
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
Those are not the bushings most people are talking about. Yes, you'd have to drop the trans to replace those particular bushings. I'd say 1% of the people here have done that.
Awesome that side is a whole lot easier to get to. Thanks for the advice, I'll replace the parts on the shifter end to see if it fixes the reverse problem. And yes there is some noticeable slop as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goddfadda1
Awesome that side is a whole lot easier to get to. Thanks for the advice, I'll replace the parts on the shifter end to see if it fixes the reverse problem. And yes there is some noticeable slop as well.
If that doesn't work, it could be your reverse lockout solenoid.

Quick Reply: UUC Shifter Bushings= Waste