Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam guys... come on in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak with Texas Speed, Vengeance, Tony at AFR, Patrick G about your driving style, intended use, current and anticipated mods, and they'll spec a cam for you.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Im very happy with my MS3 cam in my V. It runs very well, and I DD it as well. My car also pulls like a raped ape. Screw little cams.
See! And thats why i wanted to go that route. I had a hotcam in my vette and it made good power but it didnt sound like much. It was only a .525/.525 lift. I want something that is going to sound vicious but back it up at the same time.

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill prob make a few calls and see what cams the shops recommend for me to run.

I dont plan to get super crazy with it for awhile until i get the rear end situation fixed with a bullet proof setup.

As far as mods, i eventually want 225cc Heads, Big cam, kooks LT's, no cats, cutouts and either my mag catback or another catback (Corsa or something), Fast 92/92 intake, TB, Mass air, tune, nice clutch, 150 shot, etc.

Once all of that stuff is done and the car is running good, ill save the money for a built block for when the stock one finally gives up.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
See! And thats why i wanted to go that route. I had a hotcam in my vette and it made good power but it didnt sound like much. It was only a .525/.525 lift. I want something that is going to sound vicious but back it up at the same time.

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill prob make a few calls and see what cams the shops recommend for me to run.

I dont plan to get super crazy with it for awhile until i get the rear end situation fixed with a bullet proof setup.

As far as mods, i eventually want 225cc Heads, Big cam, kooks LT's, no cats, cutouts and either my mag catback or another catback (Corsa or something), Fast 92/92 intake, TB, Mass air, tune, nice clutch, 150 shot, etc.

Once all of that stuff is done and the car is running good, ill save the money for a built block for when the stock one finally gives up.
Lift has NOTHING to do with how a cam sounds. It comes down to how much overlap a cam has which is determined by Duration and LSA for the most part. A 224 duration cam will sound like a topfuel dragster on a 110-112 lsa. You are choosing a cam for the wrong reasons too be honest. Sound is the last thing I considered when choosing cams. I had a TSP 233/239 on a 112 lsa in my SS. That thing would stop traffic at a light. In a lighter car it was fine but that cam did not pass the stock cam on the dyno until after 3000 rpms and did not really take off from it until around 4500 or so. If all you care about is lope which is what it sounds like judging by your posts. You could go with a 228 cam or even a 228/232 or Torquer V2 or V3 on a 112 lsa and have all the lope in the world with a much broader powerband in a heavy vehicle.

Several videos have been posted in the past on here about cars with smaller cams but more power under the curve beating Donkey dick cams on the street. Unless you plan on spending 95% of your time above 5000 rpms in your 100K+ mile street car to make every ounce of power with a huge cam, I would think otherwise. It is your car but even any of the vendors mentioned above will tell you the same thing most likely. FYI this is not my car but this is the same cam I had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7OvIJhTemc

Last edited by big reg; 03-24-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big reg
Lift has NOTHING to do with how a cam sounds. It comes down to how much overlap a cam has which is determined by Duration and LSA for the most part. A 224 duration cam will sound like a topfuel dragster on a 110-112 lsa. You are choosing a cam for the wrong reasons too be honest. Sound is the last thing I considered when choosing cams. I had a TSP 233/239 on a 112 lsa in my SS. That thing would stop traffic at a light. In a lighter car it was fine but that cam did not pass the stock cam on the dyno until after 3000 rpms and did not really take off from it until around 4500 or so. If all you care about is lope which is what it sounds like judging by your posts. You could go with a 228 cam or even a 228/232 or Torquer V2 or V3 and have all the lope in the world with a much broader powerband in a heavy vehicle.

Several videos have been posted in the past on here about cars with smaller cams but more power under the curve beating Donkey dick cams on the street. Unless you plan on spending 95% of your time above 5000 rpms in your 100K+ mile street car to make every ounce of power with a huge cam, I would think otherwise. It is your car but even any of the vendors mentioned above will tell you the same thing most likely. FYI this is not my car but this is the same cam I had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7OvIJhTemc

Yup listen to this guy ^ good info.

My cam for example would suck at the drag stip on a heavy car like the CTS-V, since it has no timing advance and is a stright up 112.
But top end it pulls hard as hell !

my only runs are always on the highway with a buddie or If run into something on the highway that wants to play. Other then that I dont realy drag race.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure how I'd like an MS3 without the spray on a heavier car like the CTS-V. I had it in my HCIE firebird 1LE, and it lacked midrange in that think. Not just add another thousand pounds and you're really hurting. Keep in mind that car made 460 rwhp @ 6600, and 420 lbft @ 4600. If I was doing it again I would have gone for one of the torqier cams, especially for the V.

So if you go a big cam, I'd suggest ditching 20 hp for 60 lbft of torque down low.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
I'm not sure how I'd like an MS3 without the spray on a heavier car like the CTS-V. I had it in my HCIE firebird 1LE, and it lacked midrange in that think. Not just add another thousand pounds and you're really hurting. Keep in mind that car made 460 rwhp @ 6600, and 420 lbft @ 4600. If I was doing it again I would have gone for one of the torqier cams, especially for the V.

So if you go a big cam, I'd suggest ditching 20 hp for 60 lbft of torque down low.
lol you might ditch 20hp for 10tq, not 60... the LS6 346 just doesnt have enough cubes to make TQ like the LS2 would
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn guys... depressing me...

Time to sell the V for an LS2... LOL

Ill definitely look at the better options to make power down low. I wasn't thinking about overall range power compared to peak power and the weight of the vehicle. I just wanted something that sounds healthy but i think i might just shut my mouth and be satisfied with my 100k mile V for now while im in school and either sell it after school for something i really want or keep an eye out for a deal on an 06 V...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Just so some of you big cam haters know, I ran once without nitrous last week at the track. Firebird raceway in phoenix, which is 1,243 ft above sea level. I pulled a 12.6@112mph, on stock size 245/45/18 all season goodyear tires, MISSING 4TH GEAR!!!!!!!! On a 2.0 60ft too!! My car would have gone low 12s, had I not missed 4th gear.

So, the MS3 does bad in a V???? I beg to differ.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Damn guys... depressing me...

Time to sell the V for an LS2... LOL

Ill definitely look at the better options to make power down low. I wasn't thinking about overall range power compared to peak power and the weight of the vehicle. I just wanted something that sounds healthy but i think i might just shut my mouth and be satisfied with my 100k mile V for now while im in school and either sell it after school for something i really want or keep an eye out for a deal on an 06 V...
naa **** that, I almost bought a MS3 but ended up scoring my cam used for 250$.

Big cams still are fun in a CTS-V. I have one and I love it.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
lol you might ditch 20hp for 10tq, not 60... the LS6 346 just doesnt have enough cubes to make TQ like the LS2 would
I'm not talking about 60 torque total, I'm talking about 60 torque at a usable RPM. IE ms3 making 360 @ 3500, and say a torquer cam making closer to 420 @ 3500.

See what I'm saying?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
I'm not talking about 60 torque total, I'm talking about 60 torque at a usable RPM. IE ms3 making 360 @ 3500, and say a torquer cam making closer to 420 @ 3500.

See what I'm saying?
Got what your trying to say, but N/A the ls6 just isnt capable of making 420 tq period without a badd *** set of heads. Just not enough cubes.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Just so some of you big cam haters know, I ran once without nitrous last week at the track. Firebird raceway in phoenix, which is 1,243 ft above sea level. I pulled a 12.6@112mph, on stock size 245/45/18 all season goodyear tires, MISSING 4TH GEAR!!!!!!!! On a 2.0 60ft too!! My car would have gone low 12s, had I not missed 4th gear.

Notice in my post I said on the street. 90% of V owners will never see the track. I know what big cams are about, I ran one in my SS. I am not looking for car that builds power above 4500. On the track that is perfect. On the street, not so much.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Werd...

I want a nice sounding healthy running street car on the stock LS6 block for now while its pretty much my daily driver and when im out of school and its not my daily anymore, i can build a motor and do something radical with it. However... i would like to go as extreme as i can on the cam without sacrificing too much performance. Obviously id pick a little less wild of a cam if it would broaden my power range. Odds are, ill build a block later and most likely keep whatever heads/cam combo i get for the new motor as well...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Got what your trying to say, but N/A the ls6 just isnt capable of making 420 tq period without a badd *** set of heads. Just not enough cubes.

As soon as I get a real CAI and port the intake manifold my hp will be up there too.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so this may be a no brainer considering they're 2 different worlds for imports, but i'm not sure when it comes to domestic cars. if i decide to do some bolt-ons, especially a cam, can i get one now for my N/A application that will also be as good with forced induction whether it be SC or Turbo?

just curious so if the investment is made the first time, it will work for both worlds.

thanks...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tony tone
so this may be a no brainer considering they're 2 different worlds for imports, but i'm not sure when it comes to domestic cars. if i decide to do some bolt-ons, especially a cam, can i get one now for my N/A application that will also be as good with forced induction whether it be SC or Turbo?

just curious so if the investment is made the first time, it will work for both worlds.

thanks...
If you are going to add FI later, i would suggest you wait and do the cam at the same time. To do a N/A cam now and switch it later would be up to you but would be pointless in my eyes because FI will require a cam that works well with FI...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

coolio...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

C'mon man, you went low 12's spraying a 100 shot. You think sticking 4th would give you the same ET? I know your 60' was better for the NA pass but your statement above is misleading.
Sure the MS3 does good on the strip, but for a daily it might not be the best choice.

Personally I'd go with a small cam on 110-112 lsa, you will get the sound you want and good low end power. Then spray a 100 shot on the track.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by whisler151

As soon as I get a real CAI and port the intake manifold my hp will be up there too.
Yeah, my car has a K&N CAI but IMO, the only added bonus is the open element filter. The tube size is about the same size as stock but without the bends and stuff in it. Do you already have a mass air and TB?

And i was wondering about porting the LS6 intake? I know it flows really well for a stocker and its a big upgrade for the LS1 guys but can you get the flow out of it you need without going to a FAST setup?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

How exactly did you miss 4th and then trap at 112? Doesn't third gear run out at like 90 mph in our cars?

Quick Reply: Cam guys... come on in!!!