Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it was like 13.1 but its hard to do that stock IMO you have to get the launch down pat. Takes a lot of practice. the m6 gxp's are trapping over 110 stock like the 112 range which would put a car or two on a V.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine has a g8 gt with a hp tune air intake and a pulley wit magnaflow cat back. We went to the track and he pulled a car length or two at the start but that's it. I would start pullin on him at the bottom end but run out of room everytime. May have been a little better if I knew how to drive too but oh well. With a few mods those g8's are pretty stout.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Your cousin go by Waterboy on Mustang World by any chance?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a G8 GT over the cts-v...

I put about 5k into the engine/exhaust and am putting down 427 rwhp for a fraction of the cost of a caddy. It will run 11's as is and maggie going on next.

Bottom line I liked both cars, but couldn't see paying what they wanted for an 08-09 cts-v.

I can vouch the autos in the G8's suck bad from the factory grade a slush box. After the livernois tune it was a totally different car... Well that and the cam, porting and milling the heads, porting the intake, udp, kooks headers, corsa cat back, cai

Nothing better than beating up on stangs with the 4 doors.

Still wish I could've bought a new cts-v though.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tempest2000
I bought a G8 GT over the cts-v...

I put about 5k into the engine/exhaust and am putting down 427 rwhp for a fraction of the cost of a caddy. It will run 11's as is and maggie going on next.

Bottom line I liked both cars, but couldn't see paying what they wanted for an 08-09 cts-v.

I can vouch the autos in the G8's suck bad from the factory grade a slush box. After the livernois tune it was a totally different car... Well that and the cam, porting and milling the heads, porting the intake, udp, kooks headers, corsa cat back, cai

Nothing better than beating up on stangs with the 4 doors.

Still wish I could've bought a new cts-v though.

I test drove a g8 before i bought my 05 V and hated the auto, and the not so luxurious plastic ***** all over the interior. Major turn off for me was no Navigation option. Other then the rear end in the first Gen V, I think tis a way better platform for mods then the g8. Never will a g8 gt outhandle a V and if it werent for the horrible rear, the V would be hard to beat. From a roll same mods, the V will pull a g8 all day long.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Default Let's talk GXP for a second.

Bone stock in good weather my car (2009 G8 GXP A6) is a 12.9 car. To correct an earlier post, it is 415 hp. About the tune on an A6, it is a crappy tune. I figure to be losing .1-.2 in the quarter due to the fact the auto shifts into 4th at about the 1000' mark and there is nothing I can do about it, with stock tune. The car shifts into 4th at 103 mph, and in most of my runs, I have crossed the line at 105-106 mph with a few in the 107-108 territory.

At the track I only raced one CTS-V and it really wasn't a race. He left his rear end or real axles on the track. Poor dude, I felt sorry for him. Nice guy too.

JD03Cobra, I really don't know much about the CTS-V, but how many horses are you putting down at the rear? The GXP in the race, with a tuned A6 would be around 350 or so at the rear wheels. I am just wanting to see things in complete context. If you have a lot more rwhp than him, you should have pulled him. Congrats either way.

Last edited by old_goat; 03-23-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

OP made 38x, all he has done is long tubes and exhaust I believe. M6 made the difference in this one, and gearing.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I test drove a g8 before i bought my 05 V and hated the auto, and the not so luxurious plastic ***** all over the interior. Major turn off for me was no Navigation option. Other then the rear end in the first Gen V, I think tis a way better platform for mods then the g8. Never will a g8 gt outhandle a V and if it werent for the horrible rear, the V would be hard to beat. From a roll same mods, the V will pull a g8 all day long.
u really think the v will beat a g8 mod for mod from a roll or dig? i beg to differ. g8s gain way more from cam, intake, headers, etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
u really think the v will beat a g8 mod for mod from a roll or dig? i beg to differ. g8s gain way more from cam, intake, headers, etc.
i said if it werent for the rear, id be willing to take that bet from a roll. froma dig hands down the g8 will take it. i dont see how a cam can make more on a g8 then the V, maybe just because they have the VVT BS and the factory stuff on the V are better in stock form. But that doesnt mean your gonna make more power then the LS6 with the same stuff done.

g8s are already down 4x hp from the factory at the flywheel plus the extra drivetrain loss from the auto. not to mention factory 2.92 rear gears compared to the V's 3.73's

Im niot trying to start a pissing match we obviously each have our own opinions and mine wont change that the V is a better car then the G8 GT.

Last edited by itsslow98; 03-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

i just dont believe mod for mod the ctsv is faster. stock for stock hands down v is faster and better.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 AM
TECH Regular

CTS-Vs are faster. Nuff said. Haa
Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

Awsome VID!

Is the G8 auto ? (sorry if someone already answered )

Also I know everyone loves comparing 1/4 mile times right away , But from my expieriance the V sucks from a dig but is a monster on the highway.

It alot easier to score a 13.0 with a auto on a g8 and then it would be with a V.

Our cars are capable to do low 13s if everything is perfect with the launch and theres no wheel hop ... ( I know, easier said then done )

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 03-24-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Dont forget the V has an almost 200lb weight advantage over the G8. I was in the market for a G8 as well. You can see which route I went. There are plenty of proven fixes for the V rears now so I am not worried about it. Wheel hop is what kills the rear and when elimintated, things dont break.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV
Your cousin go by Waterboy on Mustang World by any chance?
No thats not him...

Originally Posted by old_goat
JD03Cobra, I really don't know much about the CTS-V, but how many horses are you putting down at the rear? The GXP in the race, with a tuned A6 would be around 350 or so at the rear wheels. I am just wanting to see things in complete context. If you have a lot more rwhp than him, you should have pulled him. Congrats either way.
I'm putting down 382 RWHP so I knew I had the advantage

Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big reg
Wheel hop is what kills the rear and when elimintated, things dont break.

Incorrect in regaurds to a 04-05 diff , even if you elimtate wheel hop completly you can still shatter the diff. I did on a 1st to 2nd shift and there was one or two other guys that have granted gen 1 diffs with anti-hop axles and etc.

So the complete fix for us is not just to elimtate hop but upgrade to a newer gen diff.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I should have been more clear. I assumed most had upgraded under warranty to the gen 2 or 3 versions.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
i just dont believe mod for mod the ctsv is faster. stock for stock hands down v is faster and better.
I believe the the two cars would be pretty close if they were both modded with the same parts. The V weighing less would almost always give it an advantage, though.

And it really depends on the mods, and what the car will be used for.

Here is an example, if you just want to drag the cars, the Pontiac will always launch better because in stock form Pontiacs always have ridiculously soft springs/shocks and the rear end squats like nobody's business. At least that is how it is with my buddy's 2006 GTO, his car squats and gets a bunch of traction off the line because of all that weight-transfer. He can get much more traction with all-season 245s in the rear than I can with r-compound 295s. My car doesn't squat at all, but I wanted it that way for superior handling. All other things being equal, the better launch for the G8 GXP might give a better E.T. than the CTS-V with a worse launch, but lower curb weight. This is very close.

But, that same suspension really sucks for handling, braking, or high-speed stability (basically every other aspect of a peformance car). Mod for mod, when it comes to suspension/handling stuff, the Pontiac will never compare to a V, the V has a better/more rigid platform to build on, plain and simple. There is a reason why these heavy sedans have the reputation they do for great handling and stability.

***And I will say it again as I have been preaching a lot lately, with the new aftermarket axle developments that have hit the market that kill the wheelhop, you will hardly ever be hearing about diff failures anymore. Basically the one crutch that our cars had can be eliminated with a pair of $500 half-shafts, which is why I have mine on order as we speak.***

Last edited by tweeter81; 03-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the GTO squats so much more due to the gas tank being mounted in the trunk...

You can't really compare a G8 GT to a CTS-V either....that's apples to oranges.

The CTS-V would have to be compared to the G8 GXP....both are top of the line and designed to be sporty.

The CTS-V's are a smaller, tighter and lighter car overall...this is why the V's make up ground on the more powerful and larger engined GXP's.

End of the day the .2 liters isn't enough to compensate for the extra weight, and gearing.

I like the GT's and GXP's better because they have more room than the CTS.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Good run JD! I expected more for the G8, but I'm not forgetting that I'd probably never set up a run from a roll in an auto car. Go from a dig and see if you can reel him in. Get it on video too so we can see the difference in how the cars pull. I'm not really worried about the traction issue, I just want to see if the v can still pull once you hook. Cause I'm pretty sure you guys will be pretty even.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
i dont see how a cam can make more on a g8 then the V, maybe just because they have the VVT BS and the factory stuff on the V are better in stock form.
There are a lot more people making 480 whp cam only on ls3's than people making 480 whp on cam only ls6's. Not to mention the extra torque down low thanks to the 6.2

Plenty of guys with over 5 to the tires with h/c/e, on a stock intake on the ls3. Don't doubt it by any means.

They are indeed more mod friendly. So the CTS-V's have a weight advantage, and an m6 advantage. But the G8's are faster from a dig, and most of trap about the same if not a little faster than the stock V times.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

V > g8...

Quick Reply: Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside