Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GXP looks real tough in my opinion. I would have purchased one if they weren't so damn expensive. For the money, i went with the V.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
I hate to tell you this but the G8 platform will outhandle the Gen 1 V's all day long stock for stock. The G8 Zeta platform is one of the best handling platforms GM has ever offered.
I hate to tell you this, but I think anyone would have a hard time explaining why the brand new 2010 5th Gen Camaro (same platform as G8 GT/GXP) was not able to beat the Nurburgring Lap Times of the 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. They both lapped the ring in 8:19, if the numbers are to be believed. The new Camaro had 26 more horsepower, about 50-100 lbs less weight, and better tires (I think Pirelli vs. Goodyear F1 Supercar runflats). I really wanted the new cars to be better (I like both the Camaro and the G8), but the performance just wasn't there compared to a 5-yr-old CTS-V.

The new Camaro is based on the "amazing" Zeta platform, but if everything else was equal (which it wasn't, because on paper the Camaro had the advantage) the Camaro should have outhandled the V1 if its platform was so great. Riddle me that...

I just like to have discussions like this, not trying to be an *******, I just think everybody can learn from these friendly arguments if they are kept full of facts.

Last edited by tweeter81; 03-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sneaky, if your reading comrehension were better you would know that I was talking about the GT not the GXP. It was talked about in multiple posts. I still think your crazy if you think a G8 GT will outhandle a V stock for stock.

you can also quote me in a previous post in this thread where I stated it would have been different if the car was tuned and the stock auto in the g8's are sloppy. Also said theya re a totally different animal when they are tuned.

I agree that the GXP is a better match for the V but IMO 4 years of technology and double the price of an 04-05 V, and its still damn close performance and handling wise.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
**** so many haters in here.

Ultimately the big picture goes like this.

A Pontiac G8 is not a CTS-V.

A Cadillac CTS-V is not a G8.

They are two entirely different cars.

If you want to start comparing cars on the same time line, pick cars that where both produced during the same production cycles. If you're still bickering about which is faster, than you need to go to the import forums.

This guy posted a vid of his run, if you want to state your opinion. Post a vid.

Cheers.
Damnit, I cant believe all this time that I thought forums were a place to voice your opinion and discuss things.

So we cant post opinions of cars unless we go out and find the car we wanna discuss and race it?

Lets compare V's and the 04-06 GTO since the G8 GT is so similiar or is that not allowed? Ill be back in a bit, im gonna go for a ride and look for a G8 or GTO so I can get a vid to post.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
im gonna go for a ride and look for a G8 or GTO so I can get a vid to post.
lol! HAppy Hunting!

and i want the vid to be in HD!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
On the tree

Originally Posted by tweeter81
I hate to tell you this, but I think anyone would have a hard time explaining why the brand new 2010 5th Gen Camaro (same platform as G8 GT/GXP) was not able to beat the Nurburgring Lap Times of the 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. They both lapped the ring in 8:19, if the numbers are to be believed. The new Camaro had 26 more horsepower, about 50-100 lbs less weight, and better tires (I think Pirelli vs. Goodyear F1 Supercar runflats). I really wanted the new cars to be better (I like both the Camaro and the G8), but the performance just wasn't there compared to a 5-yr-old CTS-V.

The new Camaro is based on the "amazing" Zeta platform, but if everything else was equal (which it wasn't, because on paper the Camaro had the advantage) the Camaro should have outhandled the V1 if its platform was so great. Riddle me that...

I just like to have discussions like this, not trying to be an *******, I just think everybody can learn from these friendly arguments if they are kept full of facts.
I am game for friendly conversations as well, I dont take any forums to heart. In the end we are all the same thing, enthusiast with passion for our machines.

The Camaro is based on the same platform, but sadly even the magazines have all said the same thing that the G8 is a better handling vehicle. So far all of the reviews I read on the Camaro say the same thing that it is leaving alot on the table as far as handling goes.

My GTO handled like it was on rails with minimal suspension mods. My G8 GXP is responding the same way as well. It handled great from the start, way better than my 2001 Formula with a full suspension under it could of have ever done.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sneaky, if your reading comrehension were better you would know that I was talking about the GT not the GXP. It was talked about in multiple posts. I still think your crazy if you think a G8 GT will outhandle a V stock for stock.

you can also quote me in a previous post in this thread where I stated it would have been different if the car was tuned and the stock auto in the g8's are sloppy. Also said theya re a totally different animal when they are tuned.

I agree that the GXP is a better match for the V but IMO 4 years of technology and double the price of an 04-05 V, and its still damn close performance and handling wise.

Thanks, my comprehension is just fine. There is not much of a real difference in the GT versus the GXP other than the dampners. The GT runs FE2 front struts and FE2 rear shocks, the GXP runs FE3 front struts and FE2 rear shocks. Other than that and the sway bars being a little bigger is the only main suspension differance. The GXP was tuned on the Ring as well during its development phase.

I also dont get how the GXP is double the price of a 04-05 V. That is not a apple to apples comparision as the 04/05 CTS-V were easily into the high $30k low $40k range when new. So they were priced very close to each other when new.

Price isnt even a valid item in these talks, otherwise the CTS-V would be in the same boat. Getting beat by lesser priced cars in 2004-05 when it was new and used 4th gen LS1 f-bodys were making more power and handling just as well.

So lets stick to the performance numbers for now as price is always subjective to the person who is buying the car. Lots of people said to nont buy the GXP because it was $7000-10,000 more than the GT and not as good of a bang for the buck. I bought my GXP because I could afford the GXP, it had the features I wanted and I knew it would be a more exclusive vehicle when production was done and would hold its resale values better which it is still doing.

So price will always be a moot point to most...

Last edited by Sneakyws6; 03-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also dont get how the GXP is double the price of a 04-05 V. That is not a apple to apples comparision as the 04/05 CTS-V were easily into the high $30k low $40k range when new. So they were priced very close to each other when new.
I think they were talking used 2004-2005 V compared to the GXP. You can pick up a 2004 for mid to high teens now, and many on here did just that. So to them, spending $35k on a used GXP was not practical.

Funny, when I bought my CTS-V new it was over $50k. I know many people that bought their V new in 2004 and 2005 and they were $50k. Not sure where you think you could find a new V for $30k-$40k.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
On the tree

Yeah I am thinking of my employee discount price. We priced one out but it was stripped down at the time, then I decided to go with the GTO instead after I located one with the options I wanted.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I am thinking of my employee discount price. We priced one out but it was stripped down at the time, then I decided to go with the GTO instead after I located one with the options I wanted.
A stripped down V? That wasn't possible on the V1. They all came fully loaded.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
A stripped down V? That wasn't possible on the V1. They all came fully loaded.
IIRC, only options on pricing were for
1) color, clowns paid extra for InfraRed
2) Moonroof, its a damn sunroof boyz
3) Block Heater, is that akin to muffler bearing, WTF
4) F1 Supercrap Runcraps, once they learned these tires were toast before first rotation date, and they offered RSAs as standard
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadcad
IIRC, only options on pricing were for
1) color, clowns paid extra for InfraRed
2) Moonroof, its a damn sunroof boyz
3) Block Heater, is that akin to muffler bearing, WTF
4) F1 Supercrap Runcraps, once they learned these tires were toast before first rotation date, and they offered RSAs as standard
That's about it. MSRP was $53,000ish in '04-'05?
Wasn't the option sunroof delete, not the addition of a sunroof? I'm pretty sure it was standard.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's about it. MSRP was $53,000ish in '04-'05?
Wasn't the option sunroof delete, not the addition of a sunroof? I'm pretty sure it was standard.
Thanks for using sunroof, not sure about delete/option, but you may be right.
Sunroof is fawking useless, starts rattling at 160mph, only time I ever use it is when my spittoon is full and I cannot pull over to empty it. That, and I am tired of the white wax residue that continues to cling to the rubber,,,
Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for using sunroof, not sure about delete/option, but you may be right.
Sunroof is fawking useless, starts rattling at 160mph, only time I ever use it is when my spittoon is full and I cannot pull over to empty it. That, and I am tired of the white wax residue that continues to cling to the rubber,,,
It starts rattling at 160? Mine rattles as soon as I start the car.

Never got mine to 160, 142 is my max...lol
Old 03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never got mine to 160, 142 is my max...lol
Yep, remember the story well, made you a Folk Hero, still waiting on the pics,,,
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, remember the story well, made you a Folk Hero, still waiting on the pics,,,
Only have pics of the ticket. Was dating another girl at the time so pics of the stripper were not a good idea. Still a fun story that gets brought up while drinking with friends. I met my wife at my first V meet almost 3 years ago, she still laughs at the story.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, new 2004 Vs were $52,xxx.00 MSRP, and worth every penny.

I have never ridden in, or driven, a G8 (either model) so I am inclined to agree with you that they handle great, but with minimal suspension mods, my car also handles like it is on rails, much better than a 3850 lb sedan has any business doing.

From the videos that I have seen, the stock G8 GXP seems to have a more pronounced body roll than a stock CTS-V. Once both cars are modded, the stock performance figures go out the door, obviously. I would love to test my modified '04 V against a modified GXP and see which car achieves better numbers if driven by the same person on the same day on the same handling course. My money is on the V, though.

Last summer I was able to keep up with a lightly modified Subie WRX STI on street tires, and a very modified WRX (all STI parts, weight reduction, racing pads, r-comps, 302 rwHP and only 3050 lbs or something crazy like that) at Pueblo Motorsports Park during a full day of lapping. We were all trying to set our fastest lap times and were all buddies, so we had an idea of how hard each of us were running. Even though my car had the power advantage, to be able to run similar times (within 0.5 second per lap on a 2.1 mile roadcourse) against a very light, modded, AWD car is pretty impressive and really exemplifies how great the 1st Gen V's platform and suspension tuning is.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
On the tree

I dont remember the options to be honest, my dad was in upper management at the plant here in OKC. I was going to order it through him and use his discount. He was going to have the plant manager at the plant in Atlanta demo it as a PEV vehicle.

It was going to take too long to do the PEV program so I just found a GTO instead which only made it 5 months before it was creamed by a red light runner. That was replaced by a 2008 TBSS then the 2009 GXP.

I didnt see any times on the NUREMBERG sight for the 2004-05 CTS-V, I did find the GXP time though of 8:30 for when it lapped the ring.
Attached Thumbnails Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside-gto.jpg  

Last edited by Sneakyws6; 03-26-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt see any times on the NUREMBERG sight for the 2004-05 CTS-V, I did find the GXP time though of 8:30 for when it lapped the ring.
The V1 did the ring in 8:19.

That Zeta platform must be slowing the GXP down.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
On the tree

Oh I am sure the Zeta it the problem, just like the 04/05 CTS-V's rear end keeps it from being a drag racing monster...lol

They are both great cars and I like the V and would of have loved to get one. My toss up right now is once we close on the new house to either get a cheap truck, sell the GXP and go no payment for a year then either pick up a 1 year old Z06 or a 2009/10 CTS-V.

I am just glad we still have RWD high hp vehicles to chose from through GM right now, could be worse. We could own Toyotas which are worth a thing right now.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Oh I am sure the Zeta it the problem, just like the 04/05 CTS-V's rear end keeps it from being a drag racing monster...lol

They are both great cars and I like the V and would of have loved to get one. My toss up right now is once we close on the new house to either get a cheap truck, sell the GXP and go no payment for a year then either pick up a 1 year old Z06 or a 2009/10 CTS-V.

I am just glad we still have RWD high hp vehicles to chose from through GM right now, could be worse. We could own Toyotas which are worth a thing right now.
I second that thought about the high HP ponycars. We are truly in a the Golden age of pony/muscle cars right now, but probably not for long, goddamn liberals...

As for the V1 'Ring time of 8:19, I'm not sure that it was ever made official on the major sites that list the lap times, but the story was that the V1 ran that fast lap of 8:19 in pretty damp conditions. I don't remember where that information originally came from. You could probably find that out from looking back at some old posts from the other V forum. I am going to do some research on that right now as a matter of fact...

Quick Reply: Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside