Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bad motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that I understand the way that your Fob/door switch is malfunctioning. The radio stations are always set to driver 1 irregardless right? I'm sure it's already done but maybe a reset of Driver 1 and Driver 2 by the dealer re-coding it, and start it from scratch.

I agree warranty, especially extended warranties are pretty much a pain in the ***. Mine came with the GM Certified extended warranty, however I probably paid for it somewhere in the paperwork.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... warranties are a pain and if you mod, its hell trying to get them to honor it...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

*Update*
Finally got a chance to throw it around in an empty parking lot and the stains are back. Also tested to see how much the motor is moving by setting the e- brake, heel and toeing the gas & brake while easing out on the clutch and the engine cover contacted the strut bar. That's 3/4". Is that a normal amount of travel?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Is there a more pronounced diesel shutdown? Thats where youc an really unmistakenly tell if the mount is bad.
Thank you for this description.....I just bought my 05 V and it is doing this EXACT same thing.

I appreciate the help on the diagnosis.

LAW
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would file that in the "**** no" category.

Originally Posted by Z06phile
*Update*
Finally got a chance to throw it around in an empty parking lot and the stains are back. Also tested to see how much the motor is moving by setting the e- brake, heel and toeing the gas & brake while easing out on the clutch and the engine cover contacted the strut bar. That's 3/4". Is that a normal amount of travel?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even after my engine mount replacement to UUC, I still had somewhat of a "dieseling" on shut-down. I discussed this here, and we narrowed it down to the stock clutch. I can't wait till it ***** out, so I can put an all around better clutch in the car. You can check out my old thread regarding it if you want to find more specific information about it.

Originally Posted by TheLAW
Thank you for this description.....I just bought my 05 V and it is doing this EXACT same thing.

I appreciate the help on the diagnosis.

LAW
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I replaced my motor mounts a few months ago. Only the driver side was shot. i'll give away my stock motor mount to anyone who wants.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I took it back in and they finally acknowledged that the mount is bad. Mounts are on backorder, so he's gonna call me when they become available. I guess a lot of them have failed lately or the supplier went out of business
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

***Update***

The driver's side mount was replaced under the extended warranty. The car is behaving normally now... no rougher idle and diesel shutoff.
The svc. manager offered to replace the passenger's side mount too after I asked if it was a good idea to do it while the tech was in there. I even offered to pay for the mount. Well, they didn't do it and didn't tell me it wasn't done. I asked him about it and he said the tech found a stripped or cross-threaded exhaust bolt so he didn't do that side I'm done with this dealership. I'd rather drive an extra hour or so and try another place.
FYI the dealer is Joe Bullard Cadillac Hummer in Mobile, AL.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad that it got fixed. When I replaced mine, I found a bolt with the head broke off. This was the same side as my "newer" mount I had mentioned. My Headers are one bolt shy on the passenger's side. I never understand why it's such a problem for them to fix what's broke.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

changed my mounts...no fluid showing or stains....no telling how long it was shot..driver's side and the pass side was compressed down by about 1.5" I guess from all the extra stress. It was filled with a green/black dust..the main way I knew it was shot was that when I shifted @ more than 2 grand the motor would slam down...give you that OH **** feeling.....I would be willing to bet that it's a mount issue by 99%
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ZO6-
lol wtf is that on the mount, tape? looks like electrical around it and masking on the side...? sounds like the dealer you've been visiting is cutting corners. anyway,

I went through many of the typical dealer perils over last 2 yrs- is it worth it, etc etc.. keep the warranty. there's plenty of goofy **** that can go wrong and eat that 2200 up QUICK. for instance-- my sunroff took dump. $1100. Divide the total cost by month, peace of mind for about 3x bucks, and roadside assistance for the wife

change dealers if you have to, sometimes there is a night and day service difference just across town.

ps- your passenger mount will now go soon if it hasnt already. I went through the same process, they ended up replacing the other one under a multiple complaint status. about 1 1/2 yrs later, they are now bad again or very close. Im shakin all about on shutdown. Why do I want to do this again every 1.5 yrs?

I am going to ask the dealer to substitute the new oems with mine next round. warranty will be voided for mounts but who cares. I have grey creative steel MMs already and gettin soft trans mount when I can find a moment during the day to call max.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z06phile
Thanks for the input guys. Here's what it looked like before it went back to the dealer today:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I called and talked to the same service manager today to advise him of what I found under the car. I also asked him if they noticed this when they were working on it. He said one of the mounts had been replaced by GM before. I told him that it wasn't done during the time we've owned it (2 years) and mentioned that I change the oil and didn't notice the stains the last time I was under there. My wife takes it back in today to let them see the stains and they tell her it's just residue from when the last mount went bad. They cleaned the stains and said let's see if they come back. Uhhh well, the mount is probably as dry as a bone now.
Do y'all think there's any more fluid in there? I can do some autox type maneuvers in a parking lot to try to coerce more of it out.
I feel like I've wasted $2,200 on the GM extended warranty
I'm seriously considering just cashing out the balance of the warranty.
wow, where do all you guys find these **** dealers? I mean I have problems all the time but it's never with gettin what I want done it's just getting it done as fast as I want, if you want I can get you the number to a guy at the plant that will make **** happen...

I guess I don't understand y the dealer is turning away work, it's warranty they get paid by gm good for it so y are they turning away work? I don't think it's because they make soo much money they don't need any fatter weekly checks....

Quick Reply: Bad motor mount?