Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

GPS/Navigation help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS/Navigation help!!!

Well I finally picked up my V today. Black 04 with sunroof.
I am happy as hell, the car is ultra clean, my first quirk I need help with is the Nav.
The disc is old, Version 6.0 with a copyright of 2002, I imagine that is not original. I do plan on getting a current disc asap.
But...
When we tried out the nav for the first time, it only shows map and poi for LA California, I was in West Virginia at the time, heading back to N.C. At one point, it showed us traveling in the Pacific Ocean. So obviously, that is not right!
Thumbing through the menus, I opened up the GPS Info tab, and it displays "out of range" and no info displayed for any of the coordinates.
So I am guessing that is why it shows the car being in cali.
I set the vehicle location as close as possible to my house when I got home, but still no GPS Info.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any ideas to check? What does the GPS antenna look like/location?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like there is a problem with the GPS antenna, that updates with the satellite, it's not picking up any satellites so it is not sure where you are.....
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

You shouldn't have to set a location. If everything is working correctly you should be able to just drive a few 100 feet and it will set itself. There is an yellow update disc to fix the "Michigan" issue floating around out there. It is just a quick update so if you can find a V owner around you he/she may be able to let you upload it quick. It takes about 5 min.

I guess if it isn't automatically resetting for you I would check go into the info setting and see what it has for your lat and longitude. See where that says you are. If that is correct then at least it is reading you.

And as you will quickly learn our Nav is not the greatest out there. If you just want it to have a cool looking map when you drive, buy the update. If you truly need to use Nav on a regular basis I would recommend spending the $199 the nav update costs on a Garmin or Tomtom with voice recognition. Just my .02.

EDIT: Since it has you at unreadable location. I would guess it is the nav unit not reading, but the update is still worthwhile.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Teching In

If you are interested there is someone on this forum selling nav discs for a quarter of the cost. I just got one this past week and it works great (although I have the "no streets in texas with the letter C issue"). PM me and I'll send you the contact.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by veee8

Anybody have any experience with this? Any ideas to check? What does the GPS antenna look like/location?

Thanks!!!
I know where it plugs into the back of the NAV it is a simple connection. Possible that it could have come off...Pull the unit out and check there first, I can't describe it well but you will see what I mean when you look at it.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks guys!
Under the GPS menu, it shows nothing for long,lat etc.. it says out of range.
Looking through the stack of paperwork that came with the car, the radio was removed and replaced about a year ago. I suppose I can check to make sure the antenna got plugged back in.
I already have a garmin, which works well, but I want to make sure evrything works correctly on the car.
I have already contacted the individual selling the current map discs on here. I will likely purchase one from him.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You probably need the firmware update. When my nav unit was replaced it would show that I was in LA too. The firmware update disc fixed it.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

Interesting, anyone have a firmware disc? Would that explain the no gps info?
I did do a factory reset on the unit, was that a bad idea?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can contact heavymetals on cadillacforums.com, he might still have access to one. I don't know what the factory reset does.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does a disc update give you a more modern looking map or is it still the old school line drawing lol.

Boy is it embarassing when someone is riding with you and tries to touch the screen too lol...."yea its not touchscreen, thanks for the fingerprint though". lol
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't have to go to the Cad forum to find me.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Does a disc update give you a more modern looking map or is it still the old school line drawing lol.

Boy is it embarassing when someone is riding with you and tries to touch the screen too lol...."yea its not touchscreen, thanks for the fingerprint though". lol
hahaha...seriously. Friend of mine got in went to change the radio station...pushed the screen a few times. He had a new avalanche which was touch screen. Oh well.....
Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98

hahaha.. I have people do this all the time too. My girlfriend just bought a 2007 SRX this weekend and now has been giving me crap all weekend long that mine isn't touch screen. It has fingerprints all over it from her mocking me.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know about you guys but I like my Garmin better than the Nav system in my 04'. I use that instead.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Hell I like my iPhone more than the nav in the caddy lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
Hell I like my iPhone more than the nav in the caddy lol.
That's the truth. The damn factory nav takes so long to boot up if i'm on the road and need directions i use my iPhone.

Although the factory nav real-time traffic updates are pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

I do have a Garmin, and Nav on my phone too. I just want everything to work properly on the car.
I am thinking it is GPS antenna related. What does the antenna look like, and where is it located?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is connected via a small SMA type connector on the back of the unit.

Going over my notes, there is a report of one person having your problem that the firmware upgrade did correct.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I have it in the car, it works relatively good besdies the gay function that locks it until you stop.

I think having a garmin(which i do) suction cupped to the window just looks tacky when you have an 8 inch display there haha.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by heavymetals
It is connected via a small SMA type connector on the back of the unit.

Going over my notes, there is a report of one person having your problem that the firmware upgrade did correct.
Ok, any chance of getting the firmware disc anywhere?

Quick Reply: GPS/Navigation help!!!