Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Navigation Screen Tilted

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Screen Tilted

Hello V Owners,

I have an annoying issue with the navigation system in my 05 V. The problem happens when using the map in 'heading up' view or 'bird's eye' view. When I turn a corner the map does not do a very good job of centering itself. It always seems to over rotate or under rotate by several degrees. So even though you are going straight down the road the map does not show the road straight up and down it shows it tilted.

In the attached picture I am on a perfectly straight road (most roads in Phoenix are) and I have been traveling dead North for nearly a mile. As you can see the map is tilted to the right even though the compass in the upper left hand corner shows north as straight up.

Any of you ever have this issue? This head unit has been replaced twice by the local dealer for unrelated issues so this is the third nav unit to have the exact same issue so I don't think it is a problem with the head unit. I also have the latest nav disc (part# 09320NA) and both discs have the same issue. If I left out some troubleshooting info please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks in advance!

~Brian
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Screen Tilted-nav_pic.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Does that road run exactly north/south. If not, then it looks like you have the nav set up to orient itself that no matter which way you are pointing the map will always stay oriented north. Not sure thats what it is, but try cycling map views to see if the others do the same
Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

You need to set the map up to go off your heading and not north. That little compass up in the left hand conner means it's oriented north all the time so most likely the roads around you are not perfectly set up to point north south east and west.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, it is showing the direction you are actually going. I prefer it like that, but most do not. It is a setting you can change.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ He said he has it set on heading up...

And yes every so often mine does that too...kinda annoying.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Launching!

I just leave mine in the view where you are looking from behind the little triangle. I can see the upcoming roads a lot easier. But never had a problem with it in the birds view like you have it.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nikon
^^ He said he has it set on heading up...

And yes every so often mine does that too...kinda annoying.

Actually he said birds eye/heading up meaning looking down on the car. Not vehicals heading.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, the road I am on is solid North / South. However, the nav system does the same thing when I am headed any direction. I am under the impression that when the nav system is in 'heading up' mode that it will put the heading up no matter my direction of travel, meaning that the red triangle representing the car will point up at all times. I used this picture because it illustrates my issue very clearly with the compass and the map out of sync. I have other cars with nav systems and all of them show the road straight up and down. If I am missing the boat on a simple setting or a calibration procedure please let me know how I can adjust that.

Again, I appreciate your help and feedback.

~Brian
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

If it is on the correct setting, then maybe there is a way to recalibrate it. Have you sat in the car with a real compas to make sure?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a way to recalibrate i believe. just go to the nav menu and settings and look for it in there.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Launching!

One too many doughnuts have been done in your V... You knocked your GPS into dizzy mode. In order to cure it you have to do an equal number in the opposite direction and post videos on youtube.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^that only makes sense. its worth a try.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
Actually he said birds eye/heading up meaning looking down on the car. Not vehicals heading.
Look at the nav screen picture (the little button that changes the view), it's on heading up...press the button again and it'll go into north up, then 3d...the only calibration I know of is to reset your location....I don't think there's a compass recalibration since the car has nav and will technically auto recalibrate itself....Like I said, mine does this sometimes, bring it back to the dealer and get another nav if it bothers you.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

^ I noticed that on my lunch break today myself and forgot to bring it up..haha.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nikon
Look at the nav screen picture (the little button that changes the view), it's on heading up...press the button again and it'll go into north up, then 3d...the only calibration I know of is to reset your location....I don't think there's a compass recalibration since the car has nav and will technically auto recalibrate itself....Like I said, mine does this sometimes, bring it back to the dealer and get another nav if it bothers you.
I hear ya about replacing the head unit... Trouble is, as I stated in my original post, this is the third head unit to have the exact same issue. I don't believe it is the head unit. I am guessing there is another piece of hardware in the system that is causing this to happen.

After looking through the service manual it seems like there might be some hardware in the rear package tray next to the sub... I don't know much about this but I do know this is driving me nucking futs....
Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greddy91
One too many doughnuts have been done in your V... You knocked your GPS into dizzy mode. In order to cure it you have to do an equal number in the opposite direction and post videos on youtube.
LOL!!! I think this is the exact procedure the dealership would follow if I took it to them!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greddy91
I agree 100% that is exactly what I had to do on mine....the only downside is that it cost me a set of rear tires in the second month of owning the car..... and the local PD took my camera which we were using to document this for R%D purposes only....but they didn't buy the story...cool guys but they did make me pick up trash @ the parking lot @ the boat ramp that we were using for our research project....I laugh everytime I look at the marks....that and it was my sister's camera!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I agree 100% that is exactly what I had to do on mine....the only downside is that it cost me a set of rear tires in the second month of owning the car..... and the local PD took my camera which we were using to document this for R%D purposes only....but they didn't buy the story...cool guys but they did make me pick up trash @ the parking lot @ the boat ramp that we were using for our research project....I laugh everytime I look at the marks....that and it was my sister's camera!
Pics of sister required for proof!

Quick Reply: Navigation Screen Tilted