Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

5 Lug Conversion Thead

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 5 lug swap process has resumed as I'm keeping the car for now....

I ordered my full set of SLP performance take off 2010 Camaro SS rotors today $160 shipped
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I'm glad your keeping your baby! I wasn't joking about the superglu you to your seat comment buddy! Lol jk

Originally Posted by deedubb
My 5 lug swap process has resumed as I'm keeping the car for now....

I ordered my full set of SLP performance take off 2010 Camaro SS rotors today $160 shipped
Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

I'm having a hell of a time understanding wheel offsets which is why Ive been dragging my feet on this. I need some help from someone who is really good with offsets.....
The wheel that I REALLY want only comes in +56mm offsets (19x10). I know the new wheels from thewheelguy are 19's and +40mm Fronts/+47mm Rears. Unfortunately the wheels I want ONLY come in +56mm offsets (front and rear). What will it take to fit these on the V? I know that I will have to narrow the fronts but I'm concerned with how much I'll have to narrow and IF these offsets will even work. I am not opposed to using spacers but if they will stick out too much, obviously other than rolling and possibly pulling the fender a bit is my only options.

LATE ENTRY:

I may have found my own answer. Here are the STS-V wheel specs and I know they've been put on CTS-V's
# STS-V Front 18 x 8.5 x 51
# STS-V Rear 19 x 9.5 x 56

So the Wheels I want for the rears are 19x10 and +56 offsets....which is almost the same plus .5" wider than the STS-V wheel. I'm assuming the rears will fit just fine.
The fronts are 19x10 and +56 offsets also so looks like I'd have to run a spacer as the STS-V wheels require a small spacer (perhaps 1/2 inch which is about 14mm) on the front of a V1. How wide can I go up front with a +56 offset?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Offset

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*
Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).
Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

So, using your STS-V fronts as an example the +51mm offset will put the wheel 11mm further inboard (Stock being +40mm). To have them the same as stock you would need 11mm spacers, but this would also require you to have 11mm or more longer wheel studs.

For the rear STS-V example the 9.5" is 0.5"(or 12.7mm) wider from center, so they would be (40-56+12.7)=-3.3mm narrower track width each and (25.4+3.3)=28.7mm further inboard than stock.

Both being doable.

I have been looking and some of the 2010 Camaro replacements on Tirerack are showing a similar offset to stock, but they only list them in 20's. Tirerack shows some listed with 20x8.5 with +40mm offset.

The camaro's are running a taller overall wheel though, based on the recommended tire. 28.7" vs. the V's 26.7".

Last edited by PowerFiend; 08-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

arent some of the ctsv 05+ 6lug?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Looking at the standard C6 vette options, I would probably go with one of the following:
- a 12.5mm spacer with longer studs for the 18x8.5 +56mm wheels (front or both, -3.5mm narrower/inset each)
- no spacer for a 18x9.5 +57mm (rear only, -4.3mm narrower/inset each). Aftermarket/modified trailing arms required for clearance.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemeSS
arent some of the ctsv 05+ 6lug?
All 04-07 CTS-V's are 6 lug.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
Looking at the standard C6 vette options, I would probably go with one of the following:
- a 12.5mm spacer with longer studs for the 18x8.5 +56mm wheels (front or both, -3.5mm narrower/inset each)
- no spacer for a 18x9.5 +57mm (rear only, -4.3mm narrower/inset each). Aftermarket/modified trailing arms required for clearance.

Going to the faq site it looks like the stock offset is actually +42mm, so the above would be:
- 18x8.5 corrected = -1.5mm.
- 18x9.5 corrected = -2.3mm.
The following users liked this post:
84FSP (05-14-2020)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info and reply. I too think i'd be ok with my wheel selection I had in mind but would need longer studs, spacers and narrow the front wheels 1" as they come 10" wide.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Below is some info quoted from Adam at MAPerformance on the other forum...
Originally Posted by MAPerformance
I have gotten all this info from AP Racing.

The Diameter of the rotors are the same
The Lug patter is CLOSE to the C5 corvette, enough to work
Pads are the same front and rear from 2010 camaro to CTS-V
Center bore on the rear of Camaro rotors is not enough, it will need to be bored out
Rotor thickness is close enough to not make a difference.
Originally Posted by MAPerformance
Its not exactly the same, its close enough to work.

5x4.75 = 5x120.65

Camaro - 5x120 = 5x4.72

Like I said, not exactly the same but close enough to work.

Yes. they sent me the .pdf of both of their 2010 Camaro rotors and their 2004-2007 CTS-V rotor they offer. The Camaro hub bore was a little smaller than the CTS-V. It was either the rear or the front I can't remember. I believe it was the rear.

Thanks,
Adam
Well crap. I think Adam may have been correct here. I took a few of the C5 hubs and tried to line them up to the camaro SS rotors and the center bore of the rotor is too small on all 4 rotors (front/rear) to allow the hub to fit through it. I'll have to keep poking around with them to verify but It looks like he was right.

That said, how can I bore out the rotor diameter? I assume a machine shop.

Perhaps I could sell my SS rotors and just buy C5 ones but I don't want to lose the E brake nor do I want to do any grinding and such.

To be continued.....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Find a machine shop unless you know somebody you trust with some basic machines, like a decent lathe or Bridgeport, the proper tools, and the skill to use them. They should be able to perform this operation on either machine. Any competent machinist with the proper equipment should be able to successfully bore out your brake rotors for you.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Ok yeah, that's what I am thinking. I'm not going to just trust anyone questionable with the stopping power on my car.

Now I need to go get a quote to have them bored out.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Below is some info quoted from Adam at MAPerformance on the other forum...

Well crap. I think Adam may have been correct here. I took a few of the C5 hubs and tried to line them up to the camaro SS rotors and the center bore of the rotor is too small on all 4 rotors (front/rear) to allow the hub to fit through it. I'll have to keep poking around with them to verify but It looks like he was right.

That said, how can I bore out the rotor diameter? I assume a machine shop.

Perhaps I could sell my SS rotors and just buy C5 ones but I don't want to lose the E brake nor do I want to do any grinding and such.

To be continued.....
Aside from the bore, do the rotors slip over the hub studs fine?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, the studs poke out from the rotor a 1/2 inch or so before hitting the too wide hub and they appear to line up and be centered.
There is another guy doing this on the other forum and he is having his machined out today for like $80.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, the studs poke out from the rotor a 1/2 inch or so before hitting the too wide hub and they appear to line up and be centered.
There is another guy doing this on the other forum and he is having his machined out today for like $80.
Excellent
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Well, bad news. The Camaro SS rear rotors don't work. The parking brake friction surface has a wider diameter than what CTS-V rotor has. The back of the rotor also interferes with the parking brake backing plate.

At this point, the only option is to use stock V rotors and fill/redrill the lug holes or find blank V rotors and drill them to the C5 lug pattern.

Last edited by deedubb; 09-13-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't have to fill the old wheel stud holes, just drill the new pattern. The hubs are hub centric, so you don't have to worry about it being perfect. the rotors are mainly held in place by the clamping force of the wheel against the hub anyways, so even if some holes converge, its no big deal.

Its super easy and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes a rotor on a drill press. Use the camaro rotor to line up the holes.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

hey dude, good info. I appreciate it. My stock rotors are old and I would be replacing them soon anyway. Perhaps I will try this on them or a few just to test. Good idea about tracing over the Camaro rotor since they're the same diameter.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Or investigate the rotors from the new V

Quick Reply: 5 Lug Conversion Thead