Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408ci

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 408ci

i know its considered something you can' do but i just wanted to see wat ya'll felt.........

my new motor is gonna have a 11.1-11.3 comp. could i , in theory, safely install a procharger on it and wat could be the highest i can go on boost? 5psi? 7psi?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

safely is a relative term.....

11.1 is alot of CR for a motor that will get boost.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Re-construct your engine for lower compression, or add N2O. I'm not a proponent of N2O, since they have all the weight breaks (and are therefore, by inference are crutched) in competitive racing, but at your CR, there's little other options available. It'll still be quick... Just not as quick as a turbo car, lb for lb...

SC-
Old 01-07-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

What would be a good compression ratio for say 15 lbs of boost "safely". What would be ideal?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

ok, let say i want to go ahead and openher up and drop the cr with a set of pistons. Wat should the new c.r. be? I think along the lines of 9.5 or even as low as 8......

I would like to see a supercharger kit that would net me around 800hp to 900hp to the wheels, like a few that ive seen here...
Old 01-08-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to a few of the local FI racers that still drive them on the street. They seem to agree that the off boost response gets lazy below 9.0:1. Personally, I stay close to 9.5:1 because, if the tune is good and the timing conservative, 15 pounds wouldn't be a big issue on 93. Though I'd consider at least an alky system for good measure. With that I'd have no qualms about 15 pounds, in fact that's what I ran on the street with 10:1 cr, 13 pounds, and 93 octane. No problems and zero kr.

SC-
Old 01-08-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with Blue.... a 9:1 motor would work awsome..... but i would stay clear form a SC kit if you are wanting to make 800rwhp and be streetable.... alot of the guys on here that make that much have a really hard time with belt slip.... Do a turbo kit.... it doesnt cost that much more thgen a well built SC setup.... i know....
Kyle
Old 01-08-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i saw your ride on the APE site....nice wheel. The thing is that i just got a set of headers and i didnt want to get rid of my new toy(s)

.oh well, all in the name o controlled speed
Old 01-08-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by obZidian
yeah, i saw your ride on the APE site....nice wheel. The thing is that i just got a set of headers and i didnt want to get rid of my new toy(s)

.oh well, all in the name o controlled speed

If you want to spend ALOT of money on your car go FI... if not just stick with a 11:1 408 and make 500rwhp on pump gass and spray a 200 shot all day long and spend ALOT less $$$$ and be happy...... be ready to spend alot on any FI setup. Sometimes i wish i would of done that...... But boost is so....

Kyle
Old 01-08-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i knw wat you mean, boost is truly addicting.........before i had my Z i had 92 eclipse, n/a.

anyways, i was gonna trade it in because i used to work on the buddies tsi awd and we got it to 30psi. when we were done after toons of work and a new rebuilt block and internals for safe measures. that awd in that same car was great, but when the turbo hit....just like bubba would say...."wooo wooo!!!" than pssst!!

ever since ive been an addict to boost.........

i like the F1-r but never seen one in person.how does it mount and wat mods are needed compared to the d1-sc?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

It will mount up to the same bracket and for the belt setup all of us have had great results from SDCE ..sponsor...>>>>>>>>>>>
I know witht he F1 and F1-r you can run a filter on it so it would be kinda hard on the street unless you can move the radiator forward some...... Can you change the pistons in your motor yet... how far along is the build abd who's building it???
Kyle
Old 01-08-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

this is still in the works. i dont even have the new motor yet!! Its from APE as well. Maybe in a few years....hopefully sooner

I just wanted to see were i could take this thing after i get used to the speed. (it never ends does it?)0.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you have plenty of CI to make up for 'lazy' you could do a very nice driving and very powerful on pump gas type set up with an even safer 8.5:1 range. I would say 700+rwhp

i would have loved to do large ci+ boost.. its the best way to make pump gas power obviously... look at lingenfelter. i personally didnt want to take the hit for the stroker crankshaft or the mileage drop.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

700rwhp is the minimun goal with the FI. But since there is parasitic lose when using a supercharger, will i be loosing more than i would be making and go for a turbo?

The turbo setup is wat is want but again i wanted to keep the headers.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

no offense but that is a real stupid reason to go with a supercharger.

you are not bound into using stock manifolds with any of the big turbo kits, not that they do poorly with them anyways.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
no offense but that is a real stupid reason to go with a supercharger.
Here's an obvious reason to blindly accept ABSOLUTE opinion from someone that doesn't have any real results, especially with an S/C, not to mention a turbo with the absolute be-all-end-all of fuel systems and a turbo kit with a turned-around-backward passenger-side header...

THE FACT IS:

8.5:1 is low for a street car, but it WILL work for a strip-only pump-gas car. No question.

THE QUESTION IS:

What do you want? Remember that cut-and-thrust in traffic demands instant response, OFF BOOST. 8.5:1 won't do it, and anyone that has driven a car from the '70s knows that. Waiting for the power just doesn't cut it.

If some here are so young that they were still latched to their momma's ***** at that time, then they sure don't know the facts.

SC-

So... TIFWIW, IOMHO, LOL and the rest of that stuff.

Last edited by SS00Blue; 01-08-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

my bad you should do what he says.. just look at his results! forget lingenfelter or meaney's efforts to make high hp and pump gas work together.

if you wanted 500rwhp i would agree < 9.5 is not necessary.. but you say as much as 900rw. nobody but ssooblue will tell you to run above 9:1 on pump gas to try to get there.. SAFELY as you request.

if you are a tip-in torque maniac then get a roots blower and forget your first two options.. probably also forget your hopes of 900rw.

i run 366ci and the compression is 8.4 and really honestly do not have trouble navigating around town, or making a safe 650rwhp without meth or race gas (or ice in the intercooler)

thanks for the compliment on the fuel system blue!

the stupid reason i was referring to was you wanting to keep the headers; just to be clear. many of the turbo systems available have really nice looking exhaust work.

lt1 that i ran a s/c on w/ 10.5 compression and it was more or less a waste of effort for a street car on 93 octane.. not that that counts as experience i know
Old 01-08-2005, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

mine is 8.5-6:1 and it is fine with the converter.....my m6 was lazy but the a4/stall makes it unnoticeable
Old 01-09-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

i understand your point, however, i dont see it being stupid if i just got the headers.

i mean literally, i just got them in.....i havent had them for more than 12 hours...

just wanted to see wat were some viable options without getting ride of my headers.
thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it all.......thanks again..i see myself completely this project with a possible fi setup but still not sure.i do know that i would like to see 800rwhp/trq. and remain adequate though subjectible, street manners.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can sell the headers man... and the hours that it took to get the headers on or whatever is negligable compared to the time you will spend on a supercharged or turbo 800hp combination. you dont even have the new motor in yet.. so its not like the headers never have to be touched again.. they are comming right back off! if you mean you just received them then i'm sure you would not take a huge hit to re-sell them as brand new in the f/s section.

i guess it was poor planning to have such an investment in a large n/a or nitrous set up to want to switch over this late... just like having to re-do the pistons you will just have to deal with the problems and setbacks involved when you change your mind. supercharger would be a great choice if you are not interested in turbo it is just for your horsepower goals i know of no production systems that can offer the hp you are looking for.

Quick Reply: 408ci