Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tityrous
does it start whining earlier if you do some hard launches? try some out mine whines depending on how hard i drive it and if i hit a big bump in the road will set it off also...
Same here.....a bump will set that damn sound off randomly.

LAW
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup... A bump or sometimes hard braking will set it off in my car...
Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Misey love company. I too thought I was the only one with a whining tranny. My trans whines most noticeably in 5th and 6th when I'm cruising at low speeds. I also hear it in 3rd and 4th too. It just started making noise while driving around city streets. I would expect problems if I were hammering the car, but the car hasn't been abused. Oh well its going into the shop this week.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tityrous
does it start whining earlier if you do some hard launches? try some out mine whines depending on how hard i drive it and if i hit a big bump in the road will set it off also...
Originally Posted by TheLAW
Same here.....a bump will set that damn sound off randomly.

LAW
Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Yup... A bump or sometimes hard braking will set it off in my car...
Add one to this list. It happens randomly but I have noticed a bump will set it off. I too believe it is the DS carrier bearing as it sounds like its coming from under the console as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Ok guys if you have isolated the sound coming from around the shifter, it is the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Mine started doing it about a year ago and seeing how I dont have the extra 900 dollars to replace the entire drive shaft (because you cant just replace the bearing it has to be the entire drive shaft) I just spray some tri flow on the bearing every time I change the oil and I havnt heard the noise since I started doing this. Depending on how much and if you drive in the rain depends how long this will stop it from "whining". Usually one generous application of the tri flow would last me 2 or 3 months, but now I just apply during my oil change just to be sure. The best way of doing this is to jack up by the rear diff and have someone turn the wheels while you spray tri flow into the bearing as it turns. DO NOT USE WD-40 because this will dry out the bearing making the promblem worse.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rippenhard
Ok guys if you have isolated the sound coming from around the shifter, it is the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Mine started doing it about a year ago and seeing how I dont have the extra 900 dollars to replace the entire drive shaft (because you cant just replace the bearing it has to be the entire drive shaft) I just spray some tri flow on the bearing every time I change the oil and I havnt heard the noise since I started doing this. Depending on how much and if you drive in the rain depends how long this will stop it from "whining". Usually one generous application of the tri flow would last me 2 or 3 months, but now I just apply during my oil change just to be sure. The best way of doing this is to jack up by the rear diff and have someone turn the wheels while you spray tri flow into the bearing as it turns. DO NOT USE WD-40 because this will dry out the bearing making the promblem worse.
Sounds like a cheap, quick, and easy fix...thanks for sharing.

On a side note, where do you buy thy stuff?

LAW
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on these cars with the drive shaft bearing going out?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

pretty sure mine is doing the same thing. its not a constant whine though...more like a pulsating whine if that makes any sense? mine usually starts around 35-40mph. sometimes it does it...sometimes it dont. you can tell by the sound that its rotation related. oh yeah, i have an 06 with 56.5k on the odo.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
Mine is an '05 and has 110K on the clock.

LAW
Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLAW
Sounds like a cheap, quick, and easy fix...thanks for sharing.

On a side note, where do you buy thy stuff?

LAW
orielly's, autozone, walmart. My car has like 80k on it.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Well the dealer has my car right now. The tech has confirmed the noise. Now the warranty company is sending out a rep tomorrow to confirm the noise issue. The dealer is talking about replacing the trans. since the car has such low miles (23,940) the warranty people are hesitant. We'll know tomorrow the outcome.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rippenhard
Thanks for sharing I will try this out.

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
67k for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Well the warranty rep. came out to the dealer today and agreed there is something wrong with the tranny. So they authorized the dealer to open it up to find the problem. Then they'll decide if the cost to fix it is cheaper than a certified GM rebuild with a 3year 100k warranty. I will hope to know tomorow.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1 Old Road Dawg
Well the warranty rep. came out to the dealer today and agreed there is something wrong with the tranny. So they authorized the dealer to open it up to find the problem. Then they'll decide if the cost to fix it is cheaper than a certified GM rebuild with a 3year 100k warranty. I will hope to know tomorow.
You damn warranty guys always getting something for nothing! Haha j/k good luck getting it fixed!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah no kidding! I want a warranty! Lol

I'm gonna try the tri flow trick
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Just sprayed mine down.....15 minute drive......no squeaky.

I am a happy camper.

LAW
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry for the newb question but can someone explain where exactly it is that I need to spray? Lol

And my car has 109k on it as of yesterday.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Sorry for the newb question but can someone explain where exactly it is that I need to spray? Lol

And my car has 109k on it as of yesterday.
I think you spray the center bearing.
Look at the attaced picture.
Attached Thumbnails High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???-dsl.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Jack the car up from the rear diff. Once up crawl underneath and u will see your driveshaft. Its a 2 piece drive shaft. In the center u will see a bearing in the shape of a "O". It is easier to get to if you remove the dust plate hanging down below the bearing but now necessary to get to. It really helps if you have the straw looking thing that attaches to the can of tri flow. Have someone turn the rear wheels so that the bearing will spin and get the tri flow into the bearing. Just spray the hell out of the bearing. U wont do any further damage by over spraying. Your done!!! Be advised guys that this is a temporary fix but if your like me on a budget this will have to be a long term temporary fix. Here is the best pic I could find.

Quick Reply: High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???