Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ported Maggie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Maggie?

I have some friends in the mustang community telling me to send the maggie off to be ported. Has anyone tried this or have any experience with it?

Remo
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

ctsv154/raven154 (Bobby) sent his off to get ported then never heard back from the guy. If I recall correctly, after lots of police involvement, he got it back...but not sure of that.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would there be that much of a benefit? I havent heard of anyone doing it with a maggie and would imagine people would instead of looking to upgrade to 122 or TVs etc.

I think the maggie is already more efficient then a stock heaton on the 03 cobras.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure how much more it will give you. I'm assuming Remo is close to the top of his maggie's capabilities...porting isn't going to give you that much room.
I too would rather upgrade.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 2 Eaton type superchargers ported, an M45 and MP62, by a company called The High Speed Lab. Performance was dramatically improved both times. Customer service was great, tech service was great, price was good, if I had another supercharger I wouldn't hesitate to go to them again.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lubelizard
I had 2 Eaton type superchargers ported, an M45 and MP62, by a company called The High Speed Lab. Performance was dramatically improved both times. Customer service was great, tech service was great, price was good, if I had another supercharger I wouldn't hesitate to go to them again.
But isnt the maggie different, are there any gains to be seen from porting one, i personally havent seen a article on porting one.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lots of info out on this on the other Cad forums, but I wouldn't know where else to look. All of the major vette / Cad tune shops do it or can have it done. D3 Cadillac, Fastlane, Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Vette Doctors, Wait4Me Performance, to name but a few. Only a few RWHP if you have the supercharger snout ported, but more if you have the supercharger done also. Enhances bottom end & off idle performance so I have heard. This is true of the V2 generation Cads, I don't know about the earlier V1 generation.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

My blower was broke and I sent it out for repair. I figured why not port it while it's there. The guy tried to steal it. Lied to me. Lied to police. Finally my local investigator obtained a warrant and went to Georgia personally and got it back. It was sitting in his house the whole time fedex was supposedly looking for it. Took several months to get back.

Moral of the story, if you are going to get you Maggie worked on, make sure you check them out. Google the adress you are sending it too and make sure it's really a shop. Google the shop and make sure the guy is legit and don't ever send anything to anybody named Nate Lang!!!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're all just about the same Eaton-type of system: two, three, or four rotors spinning in a case. The Whipple is different, but the cases still have an inlet and outlet. BTW, Magnuson made the superchargers I mentioned before. The gains seen are from porting the inlet and outlet sides of the case, porting the manifolds leading to the the case, running the best quality bearings to maintain the tightest rotor to case clearances, and coating the rotor and/or the case with a dry film lubricant. The gains aren't "felt" at any particular rpm range, it's seen in higher airflow and boost pressure at any rpm using the same pulleys currently used on the kit, cooler running temps, and greater longevity of the components due to improved efficiency. Some supercharger designs require more porting than others, some need little porting to maximize their potential. My M45 needed a lot of work, my MP62 didn't need as much work.

The blowers I had ported provided greater airflow and boost at all rpms using the same pulleys, and cooler running air temps when I was able to datalog. I saw significant gains on the dyno as well.

I'll wager none of the mainstream Corvette or Cadillac shops do the work, they farm it out to places like I mentioned above. If they said they did, I'd be careful. Carving into a blower case with a die grinder is a quick way to reduce efficiency and airflow. The only thing I'd DIY would be the inlet/outlet manifolds just to remove bumps and smooth the surfaces, but leave porting the case and such to a professional.

Quick Reply: Ported Maggie?