Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another option for the CTS-V rear end than a 9 inch, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $5500 we can get a ford 9" with axles and drivshaft that pretty much bolts in. I'm not discounting your labor but it seems for us the most cost effective solution is the ford 9!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price does not include a diff, it will depend on what suspension upgrades you already have, and if you want any more done at the time of install which is why I said the price will vary. Email or call for a more accurate estimate, this is a custom set up, so cost varies pending other suspension components.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven154
For $5500 we can get a ford 9" with axles and drivshaft that pretty much bolts in. I'm not discounting your labor but it seems for us the most cost effective solution is the ford 9!!!
Then don't do this.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
Then don't do this.
Yep good idea.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Almost 7 years after the production of this car and still no one has an affordable fix for this problem....
Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blownvert02
Almost 7 years after the production of this car and still no one has an affordable fix for this problem....

Lets see.

Limited production.
Limited enthusiast base.

My 05 still has 3 months left on the GMPP.

So in my small brain, it would seem that there is not enough market share to invest the time/money into this car when you have 10x as many (out of production) G8s and GTOs rolling around the streets.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have qa1's and gc coilovers... and damn even 3500 seems retarded for that! I can buy almost 3 gen4 diffs for that price of a band aid.... hmmmm
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That custom ford 9" (entire assembly custom made) for the a-body seems cheap now...Ouch, no offense to OP, but you're smoking crack on the price I see about $1200-$1500 tops, even if you were to make everything out of stainless steel/high grade chromoly and use top of the line spherical rod ends. No matter, as you're not selling...

Thanks for posting the pics though...I do see a potential for problems at the top bolts...have you thought of triangulating/tying them together, to relieve such force on an aluminum threaded hole, which would easily transmit thru the rest of the carrier (aluminum cracks easier than it/as it stretches)?

Last edited by JNR_Design; 08-31-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

WOW!! $3500-5500 installed? I see less than $200 in materials, and maybe $200 for the lazer cut and broke plates. Add welding lets say $200, and if you have all of the pre made plates and all of the material sitting there, it should take maybe 4 hours to assemble. That includes paint drying. $800 total and that leaves over $200 in your pocket, not installed of course.

Like I said before, I like the idea and I hope it works out.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Let me be clear. I was not slamming you guys about the price. Its is a lot though!!! I just stated that for close to the same price, we can install something that isn't a band aid. Obviously, a lot of work went into the fabrication, not as much as the Gforce kit, but still its a lot of CUSTOM work that will cost a lot of money. The only reason the Gforce kit is affordable is because it uses the same parts for various platforms. Just a change of the way it bolts in and you can install it into a different car. The hard parts are all the same so that makes it "affordable".

Like I said, you guys at New Era did a fine job and that is a nice looking piece but for the options we have in front of us, this is not the most impressive. I also think there are some potential design flaws in it as well. In any event, this is a one off custom install. If all the parts were already made and just sitting on a self waiting to be put together and installed, I'm sure the price would be much lower. Still, that price is a little steep to still have a stock diff in there.

Last edited by raven154; 08-31-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Sorry about the price guys, we designed something to strengthen it, and that's what it cost . What we built costs $3500 parts/labor installed complete. Additional suspension upgrades is where it can approach the $5500 price tag, such as trailing arms, toe rods, shocks, bushings, etc. That is why I said to email or call for a quote, because most guys already have these, if you don't however, we do reccomend them. So, we can basically set it up how you want. Even if you put in a Ford 9 inch, you really should upgrade the suspension, so this alternative is actually about half the price of the 9 inch rear when you add labor for install. It's still nice to have options isn't it?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

edit - (woops, you're fast. lol...my post was reply to the one above)...Well, the costs includes more equipment beyond the bracing, so that's good to know.

^^^Yeah, we sell custom skid equipment that costs well over $1 M each, so I totally understand custom and price and labor, R&D, overhead and all that; I've done both the design and costing on all of it, so I am familiar with how much stuff costs

Anyhow, my purpose is not to bash the OP and I'm happy they took the time to come up with something. I am sure much of the 'price' is PITA factor, too.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

It's a one off job each time, nothing is laser cut which is why I put a picture of our vertical CNC machine cutting one of the braces. Each part of the brace is cut on a CNC, and each piece will be built when an install is being done, none of it will be sitting on a shelf that was manufactured just waiting. The subframe also has a piece removed, we then fabricate a tubular piece in it's place for clearance for the brace. So, it is time consuming and expensive. Like I said, it doesn't hurt to have options, right?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I hear ya, custom work is very expensive, and I love that you guys are trying.

I have one suggestion, give these guys a call
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/

I have done alot of work with them. There prices are extremly fair. I've bought many brackets and tabs from these guys, and know many people that have had custom stuff done by them.

If you get them to build your brackets, you and your customers will save money.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorNick

Lets see.

Limited production.
Limited enthusiast base.

My 05 still has 3 months left on the GMPP.

So in my small brain, it would seem that there is not enough market share to invest the time/money into this car when you have 10x as many (out of production) G8s and GTOs rolling around the streets.
Actually you are completely wrong. A repair for the 04-07 CTS-V rear has been the hot topic on cadillacforums and ls1tech since the cars have been a topic on the forums. Plenty of research and money has went into finding a fix by numberous companies and even cadillac which supposedly made a more solid diff with the 3rd and 4th gen design. The end result finally: Remove your getrag and install and $5500 Ford 9" rear so you can support a measily 400whp... I've sold my 06 V and moved on but don't bang your head and talk about small brains with me buddy. Your the one still reading posts about rear end bandaids and $5500 solutions 7 years after your car was designed. IMO cadillac owed 9every V1 owner a V2 in 09 when they finally came out with a car worth buying!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

people need to view this as an option to go and less as some sort of offense. the price is what it is and if it does its job thats way better then what we already have.

options are always a good thing.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

wow, 2500 is still insane for that little piece of metal, please get back to me and tell me what ur smoking cuz it must be pretty dam good,
Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
wow, 2500 is still insane for that little piece of metal, please get back to me and tell me what ur smoking cuz it must be pretty dam good,
stuff like this is why our aftermarket is so poor. if it costs to much then just leave it alone. we need to look at the positive.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

there was a guy that posted on here with the exact same setup and it actually looked much more solid!, and people made comments about paying 800, now is that alot of money? well yes! but it is reasonable price when you think about what goes into it and also he will ship you the parts, new era may have a great product here but it just doesnt justify that much money.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Wow, it's because of threads like this that we don't have an affordable option for the diff.

Quick Reply: Another option for the CTS-V rear end than a 9 inch, pics inside