Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another option for the CTS-V rear end than a 9 inch, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The parts are not what is expensive, the labor is.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
there was a guy that posted on here with the exact same setup and it actually looked much more solid!, and people made comments about paying 800, now is that alot of money? well yes! but it is reasonable price when you think about what goes into it and also he will ship you the parts, new era may have a great product here but it just doesnt justify that much money.
yep and I have his info too if you want to email him. I was going to buy his entire steel case support but decided to go with the 9" due to future mods. PM me if you want his info- it seems like a nice piece but I do not know him personally and have never done business with him before just fyi.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
The parts are not what is expensive, the labor is.
this part is true.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

i understand that the labor is tough, im really not talking bad about the work you do cuz u do excellent work its just that it does seem a little bit expensive for a "fix" that may or may-not work with that said you should allow people to buy the parts and install them at there own risk with some guidelines to installing your product. i feel with this setup you would do better for your business by selling in quantity instead of making your coin threw your labor on possibly 2-5 v's im sure if you sold the parts you would have 10 or more V's knocking on your door immediately . thats just my .02cents
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

95% of mechanics would be incapable of this install. I understand this is expensive, but it is what it is, sorry. We have just finished up some aggressive testing and it has worked flawlessly, no issues so far. Now it goes into the customers hands and we wait for added feedback.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kudos on the idea. I hope to see some track videos of your setups soon.
But if you want to make money you need to make something that anyone can bolt right up without any welding. And keep the price alittle lower
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

wow 95% huh ? can u enlighten me on which part is so hard. i really am interested.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also this won't help with wheel hop huh? So add axles to the price????
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
Also this won't help with wheel hop huh? So add axles to the price????
yes sir.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twitch1
Wow, it's because of threads like this that we don't have an affordable option for the diff.
Yes and no. This is a nice band aid but doesn't address the half shafts, CVs, drive shaft, gears ect. There's another option that address all the above for an extra $500.

While people may have been able to be more polite, this is not exactly a gift from God to us V owners.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
Yes and no. This is a nice band aid but doesn't address the half shafts, CVs, drive shaft, gears ect. There's another option that address all the above for an extra $500.

While people may have been able to be more polite, this is not exactly a gift from God to us V owners.
nothing we have gotten is a gift from god for us v owners due to people always thinking its a wise idea to rake vendors over hot coals.

the only option which really is like a bolt in solution is throwing in all of the rear stuff out of a v2. if shops were looking to help us out they would have given that a shot and that would be that.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
the only option which really is like a bolt in solution is throwing in all of the rear stuff out of a v2. if shops were looking to help us out they would have given that a shot and that would be that.
So the $3500 New Era brace and the $5500 9" rear are both more expensive and harder to do than just swapping the whole rear end of a V2 (diff, half shafts, drive shaft) to a V1? Do you have any clue what all that would entail and the price that would be associated with it?

You really went out on a limb on that one Turbo.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
So the $3500 New Era brace and the $5500 9" rear are both more expensive and harder to do than just swapping the whole rear end of a V2 (diff, half shafts, drive shaft) to a V1? Do you have any clue what all that would entail and the price that would be associated with it?

You really went out on a limb on that one Turbo.
Turbo? you need to calm down and stop with all the heat when ever it comes to dealing with vendors.

you need to take a look at the majority of people who own v1's and have managed to damage their rears/axles. most of them are either under warranty or have a dealer do the majority of their work. if you buy either braces, or the rear swaps you have basically turned your car into something no dealer would want to touch. the majority or people in all of these threads, aside from details and price, ask about who will install it local to their homes.

many people arent looking to turn their vehicles into something which is either hard to sell or hard to get serviced. not saying the vendors havent come up with good solutions, but i fail to see one which would easily slide by the eyes of a tech at dealer and not get the vehicle bounced... let alone if you are under warranty.

i have taken my past vehicles and did upgrades like this which turn the car into basically a one off Frankenstein. when it works its great, but trying to sell it or service it can grow on you.

and to answer your condescending question above about what is required to do a v2 rear swap into a v1... yes i do know what parts at a minimum would be needed along with so far the only non bolt in issue which is the spring perch if i recall. the gas tank, cradle, rear can be sourced from a yard and the driveshaft and axles can be made by someone. we already have companies making them for us and i would rather have a local shop make either of those two then have my car cut up. for those of us who have technical ability and dont rely on shops to do our installs, a company could give this a try and see what aside from the perch would be an issue and sell the those few parts and have us source the rest. there are a few threads with both info from gm and lindsay on this topic. and its more common to make a proven oem part work in a similar chassis car then these approaches.

would that fix our issue totally... who knows but its rather simple enough to try. quit with all the assuming on what people know. if you havent attempted a mod like this before then its fully understandable your response, but if you have then take a second and stop picking sides when it comes to vendors and just let them build what they will build and sell it to those who will buy it. he came on here and said he built a kit for someone and wanted to offer that to other people IF they wanted it. We know you like geforce and the clutch company you bought from. we have no idea what is to come of the 9" gforce is offering. will you still hop? how does it take to launches of various power levels? does it take well to slicks/dr's? does it do well under road racing? and all of these as it pertains to our vehicle directly.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Im really gunna come out and say sorry for being such an *******, i really feel bad but when it comes to things like this it puts a knot in my stomach because it really is a nice piece but its just to expensive for what your getting.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
Im really gunna come out and say sorry for being such an *******, i really feel bad but when it comes to things like this it puts a knot in my stomach because it really is a nice piece but its just to expensive for what your getting.
no need to say sorry. we all would like our V's to be better. in many cases we mod because we want it to be alot better then what gm gave us. so we need vendors to make parts which some may buy and others will pass on. but we need as many options as we can get. for such a low volume of vehicle we have had some people go out on a limb for us and thats good. just no need to scare them away.

heck maybe this kit they are selling would keep a case alive and well if you beat it hard. then you can maybe install it and unbolt some of it when you go in for warranty work...... or maybe it will fail. but we should wait until some facts come in before doing anything but be grateful its even being made for those who can afford it.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Isn't the replacement rear diff from GM stronger than the 04-05 stock diffs?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

yes.....
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

So far, this V has taken an @ss whoopping at 600 rwhp, and no problems whatsoever, we have put it back up on the lift multiple times for inspection over the last few days. What we did, combined with a few BMR suspension parts, and the Spectre bushings with the stock shocks and stock axles seemed to eliminate wheel hop as well. Knock the price all you want, but this makes a difference hands down. You get what you pay for... And, there is no magical $100 easy fix in my opinion, or it would have been done by GM years ago obviously...

Last edited by Mike @ New Era; 09-03-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

good to hear everything is working out in that car. i want to see some drag runs in this thing.

even with a 1.8 60' this car would run 12's stock.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, let's see some vids of this thing doing some launches... not burnouts cause anyone can go do that but some good launches...

And liqidvenom I agree that's this car could easly be a high 12.7 to a 12.9 @ 108 to 110mph with a good fix to our rears...

Quick Reply: Another option for the CTS-V rear end than a 9 inch, pics inside