Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cat-Less Kooks 1 7/8 LT's on their way!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Haven't got it fired up yet (working 12's at night puts a stop to my projects mid stream). All I have left is plugs (NGK), wires (MSD), and coil packs to put back on then off to the exhaust guy! I decided to paint the valve covers while they were accessible. I think you can barely see my CS Motor Mount shields down there too.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deedubb
Update:
Haven't got it fired up yet (working 12's at night puts a stop to my projects mid stream). All I have left is plugs (NGK), wires (MSD), and coil packs to put back on then off to the exhaust guy! I decided to paint the valve covers while they were accessible. I think you can barely see my CS Motor Mount shields down there too.

Those look so pretty it's a shame the engine is so crammed in that you will have to reference your pics to see them again.....KUDOS....What kinds of gains can you expect from these?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

love my kooks, be sure you get some sleeves for those spark plug wires though or youll be buying a new set.

Just an fyi, i had MSD wires on my SS and wound up taking them off because it never really ran right always had a miss somewhere. Ive heard mixed reviews but IMO stockers are just as good.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, Paschal sent me some "cool it" sleeves. I broke 3 of the damn stock wires pulling them off. What a pain with no room to move around in there.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh i forgot you got them from paschal, the sleeves are definetly a good thing to have. be sure to post the numbers when you get them. And i think youll be quite suprised how much faster the car feels with them i know i sure was and that was before the cam.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

isslow98 - i noticed you went with the 1 7/8's. any particular reason? it seems that the general concensus with the 5.7's is to go with 1 3/4.

... sorry for the highjack Deedubb
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the price of kooks, i bought them to grow into. Also any type of FI(Nitrous for me) you benefit from the bigger headers. Even on motor before the cam I picked up 22rwhp and that was just with a CAI. Once(if) I do heads, FAST intake, the 1 7/8 will continue to benefit me more. ANd in the distant future if i step up to a 408 etc ill already have the right stuff exhaust wise instead of wondering how much im giving up with 1 3/4. I think the new general consensus is to jump right into 1 7/8 especailly since we already have the better flowing heads over the ls1 and the much better intake manifold. And especially if thats all your gonna do for a while, would you rather give up 1-2hp now(havent even seen this proved over a 1 3/4), or a year from now gain 5-10 more when you do a cam or heads etc.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, how in the hell did you get the plug wires on with the "Cool it" boots over them?? My arm is chewed up and after 45 mins, I want to punch a baby. I can get the plug wire on there fine without the cool it boot, But can't get it to "click" on the plug with the big *** cool it boot in the way. I've tried to slip the cool it boot over the wire after the wire is connected to the plug but there is no room in there! I'm going to look like a meth head for a while till my arm heals up lol.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

put the sleeves on the wire before you plug it into the spark plug. lol. spark plug end goes as far down into the skinny opening of the sleeve as it can, then just plug it in.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, thanks I'll go try again later...what a PITA.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

did you reuse your stock aluminum heat shields for the plugs too?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you reuse your stock aluminum heat shields for the plugs too?
Negative lol were you trying to?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

yep, I'll retry them without which should make it easier lol
Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea thats your problem, simple mistake...... should go on without a problem now.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Ya shoulda let me know if you needed some extra hands with installing everything. I am very jealous!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

I had the wife under the car helping hand up the headers so I could bolt them up. They wouldn't fit with the ARP studs in there. I had to take all the ARP studs back out then while she held the headers up, I was able to put them back in. It's tight in there!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Got everything connected, thanks for the info on the wires. Apparently I let my wheel spin too much while the steering linkage was disconnected as I have now lost steering wheel controls. I guess I'll be having my clock spring replaced
Old 09-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the wife under the car helping hand up the headers so I could bolt them up. They wouldn't fit with the ARP studs in there. I had to take all the ARP studs back out then while she held the headers up, I was able to put them back in. It's tight in there!
Wow the effing blows! I used the ARP's to hang mine on so I could do it myself. I guess that is a nice difference between B&B vs. Kooks.

Got everything connected, thanks for the info on the wires. Apparently I let my wheel spin too much while the steering linkage was disconnected as I have now lost steering wheel controls. I guess I'll be having my clock spring replaced
Huh I didn't think the clock spring had anything to do with the SW controls. From my reading it is for the airbag. Hmmm g/l on getting it fixed.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i followed the B&B install FAQ but for the life of me couldn't get the passenger side header in without removing the studs.

I just fired it up and holy cow! It has such a nice low bass sound to it. It sounds LOADS better than just the cat delete did even though I have no cats and no mufflers or resonator. I will need mufflers though to avoid my neighbors killing me (several of which are cops).

Can't wait to get it tuned and muffled so I can rip on it. It already feels MUCH firmer with the new CS Motor Mounts...just slips right into gear

Quick Reply: Cat-Less Kooks 1 7/8 LT's on their way!!!