Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Procarger or TVS Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommycompton
By "harder to hook up" I meant traction.
I do know what needs to be relocated with a procharger, and realize it won't be an overnight job for me.
As for drive train mods that is the first thing I have been building up.
I have polly trans, motor, and diff mount. 4th gen diff, with hendrix pro axles and a pinion brace. stiffened up my rear craddle. suspension is stiffer than stock, MAp trailing arms so I can get at 10.5 rear wheel in there. I have a 7.5 fidanza twin disc clutch hold the power. I have also been thinking of a once piece DS. When the time comes I'll be ready to drop in a new fuel pump.
There are some good tuners up this way,
I know it won't be cheap, but I do have friends in low places.
I'll probably be talking to Thomas at Hendrix when the time comes.
There was someone recently that hooked up a TVS 2300 and is making over 600 hp on an ls6 with stock internals and mast heads.
Believe me I'm soaking in all the info I'm getting before jumping on anything.
Good to hear you are taking in all angles and that you have some decent tuners, because that alone (having no real GOOD tuner) would disappoint you.
Stock Internals with 600rwhp? lol, that sir, is asking for trouble, seriously. And your referring to that 2300 that Injectorconnection was talking about, you have some work to do... LS3 heads to start off... sounds like lots of machining and aluminum work. And I dont recall anyone saying that was on the hypereutectic pistons.

Stock Block, no problem... stock crank... 800 +, but the ring land, and rods... your time would be limited at 700+ engine on an LS6 347ci. My experience with that. Why risk, please get forged the pistons if your going up there.

Ring land 7 will end up your culprit... seen many blown that way at the shop here in Calgary.

Either way you choose... monster fun when all the cursing is over.

You should check out Champion motors in Ontario, they do several procharger custom projects. have streetable Corvettes running 9's.

Last edited by vmapper; 10-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow...3000 bucks just for those MAST Small bore heads... yea um, that should answer your question on which direction right off the bat.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
LPE offers a V TVS 1900 package. and in the part list, they dont replace the hood. all the do is change out the strut brace. but the car in the pictures does have a doomed hood.
I have seen that, but it is 10K. I was just looking for a kit I could do myself. But having issues finding a C6 LS2 kit.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could go with the GTO LS2 kit or the G8 kit may fit too.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vmapper
wow...3000 bucks just for those MAST Small bore heads... yea um, that should answer your question on which direction right off the bat.
mast heads are the best heads you can buy
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
mast heads are the best heads you can buy
I know...
and? are these really needed to obtain the goals by the OP? no.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vmapper
I know...
and? are these really needed to obtain the goals by the OP? no.
no you can get some l92's and cnc them and lower the compression but they still will not flow like the mast heads will and and if ur gunna build a motor might as well do everything right the first time around.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
no you can get some l92's and cnc them and lower the compression but they still will not flow like the mast heads will and and if ur gunna build a motor might as well do everything right the first time around.
Since I'll be spending your money.
I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to go with the TVS 2300, hopefuly it fits under my Dome hood. I'll be doing it on stock LS2 heads for now, hopefully with a valley cover change the same unit will also fit l92-ls3 heads? If I choose to go that way down the road.
Another problem with a procharger is getting rid of the windshield washer reservior, either you have to rig up a small container or go without.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=tommycompton;13990222]Since I'll be spending your money.
whats that supposed to mean ? i was under the impression when going with a tvs unit u had to change the heads from cathedral port to the square port, and since my tuner has a procharged g8 with cnc'd heads and a camaro with a procharger and mast heads he was telling me how much better the mast heads are so that was just my .02 cents
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Magnacharger makes blowers with whatever lower manifold you need, LS7, L92/LS3, or regular ole cathedral. People have made over 600rwhp on a stock shortblock many times over but as with anything lasting its all in the tune. A TVS2300 is going to need an 8rib belt setup to not shred belts at the boost level needed to make 600rwhp.

A TVS 2300 is a good idea IMO since they are very reliable and will make the tq needed to move a heavy car. On the truck side of the site fence we have made really good power with the magnacharger kits. The TVS series do not die off up top like the old 5th gen 112s and 122s used to.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

I say built motor and procharger!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

o ok, then a tvs 2300 with meth and his bolt ons he already has would make a pretty bad *** ride,
Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=lilgcts-v;13990537]
Since I'll be spending your money.
whats that supposed to mean ? i was under the impression when going with a tvs unit u had to change the heads from cathedral port to the square port, and since my tuner has a procharged g8 with cnc'd heads and a camaro with a procharger and mast heads he was telling me how much better the mast heads are so that was just my .02 cents
I was just playing around, mast heads and a tvs aren't in my budget.
LS2 guys can get a TVS without changing heads, LS6 guys would have to.
So I never intended to swap heads at this time, if I had the extra cash Mast would be on the list.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Magnacharger makes blowers with whatever lower manifold you need, LS7, L92/LS3, or regular ole cathedral.

Is the lower manifold a seperate piece on the TVS, it looks like it can be swapped out from pics? And is it a piece you can purchase from magnacharger, if I wanted to switch to LS3 heads down the road?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Is the lower manifold a seperate piece on the TVS, it looks like it can be swapped out from pics? And is it a piece you can purchase from magnacharger, if I wanted to switch to LS3 heads down the road?
Yes, its the lower half of the lower manifold that houses the intercooler core. Held together byt a dozen or so bolts. You can simply swap it for another runner style manifold and they run about 600-700 if I remember right.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

LS2 guys can get a TVS without changing heads, LS6 guys would have to.

LS6 and LS2 heads are the same casting. They both run the 243 cathedral port head with the only difference being the LS6 has lightweight hollow valves. Any intake or blower you can install on an LS2 you can install on an LS6. The LS3 style head is a different story.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Yes, its the lower half of the lower manifold that houses the intercooler core. Held together byt a dozen or so bolts. You can simply swap it for another runner style manifold and they run about 600-700 if I remember right.
Originally Posted by raven154
LS6 and LS2 heads are the same casting. They both run the 243 cathedral port head with the only difference being the LS6 has lightweight hollow valves. Any intake or blower you can install on an LS2 you can install on an LS6. The LS3 style head is a different story.
Nice info for both.
Glad i wouldn't be locked into cathedral port heads by buying an Ls2 tvs, nice to know I can upgrade later on.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

There is nothing wrong with a good set of cathedral port heads. Of course, the square port will flow more and make more power in the long run but for a car that is boosted, head selection isn't nearly as critical as would be for an N/A car. Good runner design and profile is important in an N/A car because the piston is pulling the air in and only has so much time to do it in. On a boosted car the air is forced in. With that said, a good set of heads will yield better results but the margin will be less on a boosted engine.

Quick Reply: Procarger or TVS Supercharger?