Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Procarger or TVS Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procarger or TVS Supercharger?

Procharger or TVS Supercharger?
I've been saving up for some forced induction and I'm about 1/2 way there, so I have been doing as much research as possible. Life was simple when we were limited to the mp112. I am planning on the tvs 1900 or 2300 ( I have an Ls2) or a Procharger. My ultimate goal is around 550 to 600 Rwhp with stock bottom end (unless i blow something, then I'll go forged and bigger bore)
I plan on buying a charger first, then heads, blower cam, and maybe a meth kit.
I drive street 100% of the time but plan on doing a couple 1/4 mile next summer.

The TVS 2300 i would do if the price isn't much more than the 1900, I haVe a powerdome hood so the throttle body should clear with the TVS 2300.
I have a pros and cons list but am still torn between the two types of chargers.

TVS pros
Kick in the pants power
power on demand
will get my targeted hp
Looks pretty
No fabricating
Can run larger lower compression heads to increase boost
Low noise
good low to mid range power

Cons
Price
Might have to ditch my strut brace
if my hp goals change I might be limited by the 1900
top end power falls off(probably not so bad with the TVS units)
heat soak
harder to hook up

Procharger pros

price
good mid to top end power
Hp goals easily obtainable
Can change my top end with no fittament issues
Cooler intake temps
easier on the drive train
No limitations on Hp goals

Cons
sounds like marrbles in a blender
Fabricating an intercooler(not that big of a deal)
No power on demand( big factor)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the procharger can become more expensive then you think. every procharged V i have read about (all 2 of them) have require some serious fab work to get everything to fit properly.

with the TVS 2300, you will need to do some head mods too. i do thing the 2300 will mount up with the LS2 head. you will need to modify them or buy the L94 heads from the LS3.

TVS1900 will mount up with no changed to anything. and with a good blower cam in there and all other supporting mods, you can be about 550-575 IMO.

i would go with the TVS1900...in fact, thats what i am saving for as we speak.

good luck, and go with what you really want. it is your money after all, and you dont want to be kicking yourself in a few months time.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know of any tvs 1900 or 2300 blowers that will bolt to cathedral port 243 style heads.

Am I wrong?

In fact I hope I am... I would love to run a 1900 or 2300, but as far as I know you have to change to a custom and $$$ square port head ( ls3 style) made for a small 346cid bore. Last I heard those heads were ~$2500, and I cant justify the cost.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

There is a tvs 1900 and 2300 listed for the ls2 Vette, that is the head unit that would be needed as the pulleys will line up also. Ls6 guys are out of luck unless you swap heads.
I would like to do heads down the road, and would prefer ls3 heads but unsure if I bought a ls2 tvs that it would be transferable, so I would make the most out of the ls2 heads unless L92 head would work.
With a Procharger I could do ls3 heads, fast 102 intake and throttle body no problem.
Using a GTO kit for the procharger seems pretty straight forward, and fab work for the intercooler wouldn't be that difficult.
I am so torn on which way to go.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

I have also seen a TVS1900 and 2300 blower for the GTO. That would be pretty simple swap. Just need to swap the fuel rails around and buy a CTS-V jackshaft and front mount which is essentially a vette jackshaft. They basically made a hybrid for the V. They took some GTO parts and some vette parts and slapped them together and made a blower for the V. Obviously there is a little more to it than that, but thats pretty much sums it up.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tommycompton
There is a tvs 1900 and 2300 listed for the ls2 Vette, that is the head unit that would be needed as the pulleys will line up also. Ls6 guys are out of luck unless you swap heads.
I would like to do heads down the road, and would prefer ls3 heads but unsure if I bought a ls2 tvs that it would be transferable, so I would make the most out of the ls2 heads unless L92 head would work.
LS6 and LS2 are virtually the same heads, the only thing the LS2 has going for it, is the larger bore, which would allow you to swap to a rectangle port head, and use something like a G8/2010 camaro 2300 blower.
I am working with Thomas at Hendrix Engineering to come up with a 119 kit for my 04 V. Likely we will use a GTO kit as a basis. Going to start hashing out the details this week.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Procharger requires a MASSIVE amount of fab both to the system and to the car. You should see the state my car is in right now just for an intake pipe on the blower yall would cringe, talk about ***** deep in mod hell.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NEED MO POWA!
Procharger requires a MASSIVE amount of fab both to the system and to the car. You should see the state my car is in right now just for an intake pipe on the blower yall would cringe, talk about ***** deep in mod hell.
but with that 402 and the PC...i bet it will plant your ***** to the back of the trunk
Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kinda surprised no one mentioned to wait and get the rear that g-force is working on first. If he's shooting for 600rwhp then it might be a good idea to work that into the budget.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Kinda surprised no one mentioned to wait and get the rear that g-force is working on first. If he's shooting for 600rwhp then it might be a good idea to work that into the budget.
it would be a good idea.

but i was told by several places that the stock Gen 3 and 4 diffs can last, and long as you role lauch and dont clutch dump at 5k.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rears are overpriced no matter what. Id stick to the 1900 and have fun with it. Persoanlly id thinkt he procharger would be more useable power with a stock rear. The instant torque and HP is gonna be hard to hook up and we all know what happens when you put sticky tires on the car. That slightly delayed power of the procharger might be more useable.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tommy...

Procharger ONLY sounds like marbles because of the straight cut gears, you CAN order procharger with Helical gear set which eliminates that sound.

No power on demand with procharger?
you will still have over 400rwtq at 3500 rpm, not enough for you?... but wait, the best part is... who cares if a TVS has 480, because how long are you at 3500rpm? especially if your romping on it, its a simple gear change away...
Your not stressing as much parts with the procharger Progression TQ either, nor does your gas mileage suffer with light driving as there is less boost influence.

The new TVS 2300's are getting really good at the High HP outputs, but you still cant touch a procharger for Serious down the road numbers.

a) no matter which way you go, you are custom modding your V
b) your NOT going to get 600rwhp on stock internals, fuel system or stock MAF.
c) 402 and F1-A blower = a 1000hp engine setup.

And you are failing to mention the endless list of 'supporting' mods, engine mounts, Rear end, suspension parts, stuff to handle this power... serious $$.

Im thinking the Procharger will be much harder to 'hook' up than a TVS.

Trust me, im knee deep into this...
Your computer is on the driver side, the washer fluid is on the passenger side... intercooler doesnt fit, new PUSH fans required, stupid upper rad hose mod..
Now do you cut the REbar (Bumper) or remove? as the intercooler touches the connection bar / bolts... brackets need to be made to push the fluid container out of the way...
you have to customize a power steering bracket... from scratch. Relocate the steering reservoir.
Its custom, custom, custom.

And better yet... TUNING! I can Guarantee you there is no one in Winnipeg going to tune a modded, unique setup like what you are thinking for less than 1000 bucks with tune and dyno time.

GhettoTy
Also Creative Steel is going to have something real soon as well for a full bolt up rear solution.

Last edited by vmapper; 10-10-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
GhettoTy
Also Creative Steel is going to have something real soon as well for a full bolt up rear solution.
any idea when or how much?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Tommy...

Procharger ONLY sounds like marbles because of the straight cut gears, you CAN order procharger with Helical gear set which eliminates that sound.

No power on demand with procharger?
you will still have over 400rwtq at 3500 rpm, not enough for you?... but wait, the best part is... who cares if a TVS has 480, because how long are you at 3500rpm? especially if your romping on it, its a simple gear change away...
Your not stressing as much parts with the procharger Progression TQ either, nor does your gas mileage suffer with light driving as there is less boost influence.

The new TVS 2300's are getting really good at the High HP outputs, but you still cant touch a procharger for Serious down the road numbers.

a) no matter which way you go, you are custom modding your V
b) your NOT going to get 600rwhp on stock internals, fuel system or stock MAF.
c) 402 and F1-A blower = a 1000hp engine setup.

And you are failing to mention the endless list of 'supporting' mods, engine mounts, Rear end, suspension parts, stuff to handle this power... serious $$.

Im thinking the Procharger will be much harder to 'hook' up than a TVS.

Trust me, im knee deep into this...
Your computer is on the driver side, the washer fluid is on the passenger side... intercooler doesnt fit, new PUSH fans required, stupid upper rad hose mod..
Now do you cut the REbar (Bumper) or remove? as the intercooler touches the connection bar / bolts... brackets need to be made to push the fluid container out of the way...
you have to customize a power steering bracket... from scratch. Relocate the steering reservoir.
Its custom, custom, custom.

And better yet... TUNING! I can Guarantee you there is no one in Winnipeg going to tune a modded, unique setup like what you are thinking for less than 1000 bucks with tune and dyno time.

GhettoTy
By "harder to hook up" I meant traction.
I do know what needs to be relocated with a procharger, and realize it won't be an overnight job for me.
As for drive train mods that is the first thing I have been building up.
I have polly trans, motor, and diff mount. 4th gen diff, with hendrix pro axles and a pinion brace. stiffened up my rear craddle. suspension is stiffer than stock, MAp trailing arms so I can get at 10.5 rear wheel in there. I have a 7.5 fidanza twin disc clutch hold the power. I have also been thinking of a once piece DS. When the time comes I'll be ready to drop in a new fuel pump.
There are some good tuners up this way,
I know it won't be cheap, but I do have friends in low places.
I'll probably be talking to Thomas at Hendrix when the time comes.
There was someone recently that hooked up a TVS 2300 and is making over 600 hp on an ls6 with stock internals and mast heads.
Believe me I'm soaking in all the info I'm getting before jumping on anything.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Lonnies performance for your fuel system setup. Your gonna need twin in tank pumps for what your looking to do and they are about the best place you can get to set you up.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raven154
I have also seen a TVS1900 and 2300 blower for the GTO. That would be pretty simple swap. Just need to swap the fuel rails around and buy a CTS-V jackshaft and front mount which is essentially a vette jackshaft. They basically made a hybrid for the V. They took some GTO parts and some vette parts and slapped them together and made a blower for the V. Obviously there is a little more to it than that, but thats pretty much sums it up.
Has this been done before? I thought Hendrix tried and ran into hood clearance issues.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

With the TVS you will need the dome hood which shouldn't be that big a deal if you can afford the install anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Where can I find a vette ls2 tvs1900 kit. I can not seem to locate one. I see them for the G8, and GTO but not the C6 LS2 vette.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by woodnutz
Where can I find a vette ls2 tvs1900 kit. I can not seem to locate one. I see them for the G8, and GTO but not the C6 LS2 vette.
LPE offers a V TVS 1900 package. and in the part list, they dont replace the hood. all the do is change out the strut brace. but the car in the pictures does have a doomed hood.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

GhettoTy
Yes they will, just spoke to max yesterday...

Quick Reply: Procarger or TVS Supercharger?