Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

T56 whining in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 whining in 5th gear

Trans starts whining like a bearing going out sometimes whin I shift into 5th. The only way to get it to stop is slow down to about 20mph. I can feel it in the shifter also. Anyone had to deal with this or have it fixed?

Remo
Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine has done that since the day i bought it. but its in 6th gear...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it from time to time.......I took the advice from another thread on here and sprayed the hell out of the hanger bearing with a white lithium grease....Honestly cured about 90% of mine but need to reapply since driving in some serious rain. Cheapest route to go if it's a hanger bearing issue....Seeing that we have a 1 piece driveshaft with bearing incorporated.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

I thought it was the throw out bearing for the longest time, but I put a new clutch in and it's progressively gotten worse. I have the trans out. Pulled the rear cover and the magnets have nasty gritty **** on them. Anyone know where I can get a trans quick? Plan on leaving for the Texas mile Thursday!!!!

Remo
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Remo
I thought it was the throw out bearing for the longest time, but I put a new clutch in and it's progressively gotten worse. I have the trans out. Pulled the rear cover and the magnets have nasty gritty **** on them. Anyone know where I can get a trans quick? Plan on leaving for the Texas mile Thursday!!!!

Remo
Might wanna contact tick performance and see if they have one built already they can ship you and then you can ship them yours as a core.

Then again i dont know if id wanna be breaking in a new trans at a texas mile event.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulled the rear cover and the magnets have nasty gritty **** on them.
Unless the magnets have been cleaned previously, The deposits accumulate with usage, even if you change the oil every 5k or so. That's what they're there for.

5th/6th gears, being overdrives (they also have a different pitch on the teeth), spin faster and whine is amplified by harder durometer bushings in the shifter mount and the shifter shaft itself (especially a soild shifter shaft). It usually more prevalent when the above conditions are present in a car with a stock or Corsa exhaust.

With that said, the whine should be barely noticeable, not loud (like the rear end ).

As for the metal deposits, a fine powdery coating of a couple of millimeters is normal wear. There may be an occasional bright flake or two present.

If it's really loud, with other transmission issues present, and the car has an unknown history, I'd be concerned (read: Time for Tick).

Otherwise, change the fluid (use a high-quality Dexron ATF synthetic) and ride.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

RPM had a stage 5 ready to ship out so it's on the way! It wasn't normal ware on the magnets. The ware had a ton of chunks in the powder.

Remo
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

RPM had a stage 5 ready to ship out so it's on the way! It wasn't normal ware on the magnets. The ware had a ton of chunks in the powder.

Remo
RPM stage V doesn't that include upgraded input shaft etc...what are they going for without a core now. ps: good luck on the install and race.

Quick Reply: T56 whining in 5th gear