Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rattle after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitch1
Didn't people have problems with Corsa rattling? Not really sure, but I thought I read that a couple years ago.
Yes, I seem to remember TonyShow got rid of his Corsa due to the rattling.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

nlpy8b has a custom exhaust (not sure what that means) and I'm the one with the Corsa. I hope it IS just an exhaust rattle. I'm headin into the shop around 1 today so hopefully I'll have an answer this afternoon.

... and it will be a GOOD answer not having to deal with dropping the trans. ugh
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Well...
Got 'er up on the hoist. Found a loose band clamp. Tightened it all down and started it up and all seemed well until I was on my way home. It seems as though the car needs to be warmed up a bit before I hear anything. Here's a short vid I took of the sound. I hope someone can help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Jq5drveSE
Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
nlpy8b, we just had a vette with a similar complaint from the sound of it and it turned out even though the exhaust band clamp was tight the actual exhaust pipe still had some play and was causing the rattle at a certain rpm range because of harmonics. We will definitely take a look at your car when it comes in and get to the bottom of it, if you haven't gotten a chance to figure it out before then. Thanks, Chris
Hey Chris I am the Vette owner. I ordered 2 new band clamps for the collectors and will be putting them on Saturday morning. I will let you guys know how that goes.

To the OP I'm sure SNL will be happy to help you figure out what that noise is and wish I could tell you mine was the same, but listening to your video it sounds like an exhaust leak of some sort somewhere. Mine as well will not make the sound until it is warmed up a little bit. The sound mine is making is in the 1600-1900 RPM range. We are 99% sure it is an exhaust rattle. I will post up after the new clamps have gone on.

What all exhaust wise have you checked out?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok the new clamps fixed the problem. No rattle at all what so ever. My suggestion is to get band clamps, the two bolt style since they are longer, and put those on every exhaust connection. Or weld every connection together which is not practical.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
nlpy8b, we just had a vette with a similar complaint from the sound of it and it turned out even though the exhaust band clamp was tight the actual exhaust pipe still had some play and was causing the rattle at a certain rpm range because of harmonics. We will definitely take a look at your car when it comes in and get to the bottom of it, if you haven't gotten a chance to figure it out before then. Thanks, Chris
There it is... the master has spoken.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk04V
Well...
Got 'er up on the hoist. Found a loose band clamp. Tightened it all down and started it up and all seemed well until I was on my way home. It seems as though the car needs to be warmed up a bit before I hear anything. Here's a short vid I took of the sound. I hope someone can help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Jq5drveSE
I can tell you what this is... CCW unobtanium bearings are going out... I have a set of factory wheels I'll swap you straight up for. No... no... don't thank me. I'm just a very generous board member.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Lol about the CCW's
I got her up on the hoist this morning again. Removed the entire exhaust. The cats looked perfect, but the Corsa resonators had a tiny bit of rattling. Nothing like what I showed in the video above. Kinda like the noise those "rain sticks" make when you turn them end over end. What the heck? I bolted everything back up and by the time I drove a couple miles the rattle was back.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever figure this out? Mines making a very similar sound
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

did you mark the driveshaft??

Quick Reply: Rattle after clutch install