Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

service theft system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation service theft system?

Kind of an on going problem the past week.

Day 1. Walk out from work to the car. Hit the keyfob to unlock the car and no outside lights come on. Get to the door and its still locked. Just thought I hit the wrong button in the keyfob. So I look at the keyfob and press unlock again. The doors don't unlock but this time the outside lights flash like they normaly would. So I open the door with the key and and notice that there are no inside lights. Put the key in and try to start the car and nothing happens, the gauge lights don't even come on. So I lock the car and get a ride home.

Day 2. Get a ride to work and bring some cables with me thinking that maybe my battery just took a dump. Get out of my buddy's car and hit unlock on my keyfob out of habbit and the outside lights blink like they should and I hear the drivers door unlock. Open the door and all the inside lights are on. Put the key in and she starts right up. Turn her off and lock her up and walk in to work. Get done with work and hit unlock on keyfob as I get close to the car. I hear it unlock but no outside lights flash this time. Get in the car and there are no inside lights. Turn the key and it starts but this time on the display it pops up a message that says service theft system. I hit OK and drive home. On the drive home the little theft light is blinking the whole time and my traction control is off and when I press the TC button on the wheel it won't change.
I get home and turn the car off to change into some junk clothes and come back out to take the car to auto zone so I can have them check the battery and Alt. Go to start the car and its compltely dead again. No inside lights or gauge lights. Put my truck next to it and jump it and it fires right up. Get to Auto Zone and they say the battery and Alt. are all good. At this point i'm really scratching my head. I drive home and go to bed.

Day 3. Wake up and go out to the car. Hit unlock and no outside lights again and the drivers door stays locked. I'm like WTF. Open the door and no inside lights or gauge lights when I go to start the car. Pop the hood and grab a multi-metter and check the battery. It reads 2.5v. I'm thinking for a 12v battery thats a little low for the car only sitting there for 8hrs. seems how when I parked it the display in the car was telling me it was at 13.5v.
So I went out and bought a new battery and put it in the car. Bought a new battery for the keyfob as well. Changed them both. Car started right up but with the service theft system message again. The keyfob doesn't work either. Tried the keyfob reset thing posted on here with no luck. The car however has been starting with no problems for a week and no message that says service theft system. All the sudden today I get in the car and it has no inside lights again and the gauge lights don't come on when I try and start the car. Turn the key and its dead like all the other times. Haven't had time to mess with it again yet...

What would cause this to happen all the sudden? Is it this "theft system" thats messing it all up? Why would the keyfobs just stop working? I don't see how it would shut down the car thinking I'm stealing it if I have the key to the car... I am completly lost on what could cause this!!! Please throw out some suggestions
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, sounds like when the battery took a crap the first time it reset the secuirty system, had it happen to me not to long ago after the battery took a crap, did the reset on the fob and it worked with the new car battery.

As for it dying with a new battery something may be drawing the battery when its off. Is the battery dead dead or just drained?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Not sure yet if the battery is just drained. When I get off of work here in a bit I'm going to go check it with a multi-metter and put a trickle charger on it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Make sure you check the engine to body grounds
and battery cables between wire to connector.
Check all ground straps. Sometimes connectors 'look' good, but oxidation has gone back into the wire and can be hidden by wire casing. '***** & probe'
If you do put a ***** hole into any wires, be sure you seal the pin-***** to prevent moisture from entering in the future.
'Computer Control' in vehiclesmakes them all very, very sensitive for 'ground control'
gooood luck . .
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I have the same symptoms with the TC light, keyfob, Service Theft, but no dead battery. It seems to be ok when my Ipod interface is disconnected and just run the radio & cds though?!?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Shot power to the battery today when I got home from work. Its a brand new battery and its reading 2 volts!!! I did find an interesting thread about the dimmer switch being a problem in 04-05 cars drawing power.... gonna look into that next
Old 12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

So I broke down and took her to the dealer.... can't wait to hear how bad i'm gonna get raped ;(
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Update: So Caddy dealer called and said they found the problem. they replaced the R.K.E. (Remote Keyless Entry) Module and replaced the batteries in the key fobs. 1 of the TPMS in the tire wouldn't reset after (and hadn't worked for about a month after I tried reprogramming it myself) so i had them replace that as well seems how the car was there. The total came out to $600 for everything.

Drove the car home and everything was all good. Took it to work and when it was time to go home I approached the car and couldn't unlock the car with the key fob! the same problem was still there!

Got into the car with the key. Car flipped out and the alarm went off. Got the alarm off and started the car. The display read "personalization off" then "service theft system" and "remove key." Drove home and parked the car. I work from 11pm-8am so I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with it and went to bed. The key fob did work to lock and unlock the car again once i was home.

Got up and the car wouldn't unlock with the key fob. Opened the door with the key. No lights inside. Pop the hood and check the battery. It reads 2.4Volts. Locked up the car and went to work.

Called the dealer first thing in the morning when I was done with work. Jump started the car and drove it to the dealer. Told them what happened. The dealer said no problem and that they wouldn't charge me for this time around seems how I already paid for last time and they didn't fix it. I was pretty impressed with that. We'll see if it holds true...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Another update:
The dealer found that after you drive the car and park it that after you lock it the radio comes on and stays on! There is an aftermarket Ipod adapter installed in the car that's been there sense before I owned it. They are going to disconnect it and see what happens. I hope that's the fix cause they said a new head unit will run me $1,100!!!! So on that note does anyone know where to perches a head unit for an 04 cts-v at a cheaper price?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Problems related to Ipod adaptor makes sense (see earlier post). I played cds for a week, disconnected the ipod adaptor and didnt have any problems that week.

Quick Reply: service theft system?