Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V with repaired damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V with repaired damage?

Hi all, just joined up, been perusing the forums for a few weeks now, as I am interested in picking up a V. There is a local one, about 50 miles from me i am interested in. It is a 2006, with 37,500 on it, silver, black interior. Dealer is asking 21.5 for it. The issue is that a carfax check shows an accdent history:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=REY_Z

I currently drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, and, like just about every other MS6 owner out there, am upside down on it (about 4K... I know...I know. Ouch.) as they just bleed value like crazy. Also, like a lot of MS6 owners are discovering, once the car passes 65K miles, the gremlins start to come out... leaking T case seal, rear differential vibrations, oil smoke in the exhaust under load (turbo seals). All common problems that me and my fellow MS6 owners are uncovering at higher mileage.

Question to you guys is this: what would you honestly pay for the V above, given the history?

I know the dealer is hurting, one of my co-workers went to them to see what they would give him for trade on his Jeep wrangler towards a newer grand cherokee and they actually offered him what he paid for it 3 years ago when he bought it from their sister dealership next town over... They have had that V for about 2 1/2 weeks now... not a long time, but, I can't imagine anyone around here is going to touch that thing given the history, so, I am wondering if I could "steal" it and try to offset some of the upside down I have on my 6 as well as pick up the car I have recently been lusting after

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

A couple things in my opinion.
First, you can get the VIN and probably run in through a GM dealership to possible see what was replaced.

Second, carfax is saying "Structural/Frame damage reported", I would not touch it. They are asking a lot for that type of damage to the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah frame damage could be scary. Salvage title or not? I would certainly take it to an independent dealer/mechanic to check it out. Without that damage I'd say that is a great price for an 06 with low mileage but with that damage I wouldn't pay 21.5.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Teching In

2005 clean title.. 40k.. Silver with black interior 19.5
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fender bender.....go for it, frame damage....run the other way

id find the extent of the damage. It just happened in february of this year. so it couldnt have been THAT bad because if it was the car would likely have been totaled out due to its value/repair cost.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

buy one of the cars from the forum. they are well taken car of from what i have seen. other then so of us the cant keep are foots off the floor, haha.

Edit: OP, to answer you question: with frame damage listed in the carfax, the car door jam was the part jacked up. a huge deal, maybe. but it might not be anything that was really that bad. with that being said, NADA puts the CLEAN Retail at $26,375. the history makes that a little less then a clean retail car. depending on what was really done to the car i wouldnt pay over 19 or 20 for the car. if it was a minor ding on the driver side the bent a door frame, 19-20 wouldnt be that bad. if it was worse then that, walk.

Last edited by ColeGraham; 12-08-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

What does Carfax consider frame/structural damage? My minor rear end accident damaged the core support slightly around the hood latch. Is that going to be considered structural damage and be reported? Could be something as minor as the B pillar and rocker panel needing minor adjusting. Or, it could be something worse. I agree with the other poster and take the car to an independent dealer/shop and have it looked at.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by va79ta
What does Carfax consider frame/structural damage? My minor rear end accident damaged the core support slightly around the hood latch. Is that going to be considered structural damage and be reported? Could be something as minor as the B pillar and rocker panel needing minor adjusting. Or, it could be something worse. I agree with the other poster and take the car to an independent dealer/shop and have it looked at.
Straight from Carfax website...
http://www.carfax.com/car_buying/car_frame_damage.cfx

What is structural/frame damage?
If you're shopping for a used car, you want to make sure that the vehicle's structure/frame is in good condition. Even minor damage, if not repaired properly, can seriously degrade a car's ability to protect you in an accident.

Structural/frame damage is damage to any component of a vehicle that is part of the main structure of the vehicle, and/or any component designed to provide structural integrity. Examples of these components include any suspension mounting location that can't be removed, the lower frame rails, any upper frame rails, and in the case of unibody construction, the A, B and C pillars, windshield and rear window frames and rocker panels. Components that are bolted on are not considered part of a car's structure or frame. Note that this is a general explanation - there are exceptions

Seems like they don't considered anything bolted on structural. Not a good thing if you ask me. Would definetly make me question it.

Speaking from experience even though you may not plan on it...thing about how this will effect the re-sale value of the vehicle. I will tell you that I would not but from a private owner if the carfax showed structural/frame damage.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TriGuy...I've always been scared of a salvage/repaired title vehicle. But once I did have a limb fall off a pine tree in the yard and hit the roof on a Toyota Tacoma of mine. Literally put a 4" dent in the corner of the roof, right above the ext cab window, on the corner and scratched the panel below the window......Less than $1,000 worth of damage on a truck that was valued at $20,000 or so....Insurance co said that the structural integrity of the truck had been compromised and in case of a rollover in the future the truck wouldn't be able to support the weight it was designed to....You never know the extent of the damage unless it was your car
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

I would look into it as well... I was told by an insurance adjuster from my insurance company (american family ins.) that if i buy a used auto to call them with the vin and have them look it up. He said they are more then happy to look up auto history's before you buy.. They can look up every vin way more in depth than "car fax" can. They might even be able to see the pics of the auto when it was wrecked.. He said they would like to insure autos that have not been in a wreck before do to safety and stuff that wasn't fixed right the first time.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blown383z28
I would look into it as well... I was told by an insurance adjuster from my insurance company (american family ins.) that if i buy a used auto to call them with the vin and have them look it up. He said they are more then happy to look up auto history's before you buy.. They can look up every vin way more in depth than "car fax" can. They might even be able to see the pics of the auto when it was wrecked.. He said they would like to insure autos that have not been in a wreck before do to safety and stuff that wasn't fixed right the first time.
This is true, I have heard of some insurance companies that will not insurance vehicles with salvage/rebuilt titles and will give you a very hard time with vehicles that have had major structural damage.

Good call blown, did not think about that.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriGuy
Straight from Carfax website...
http://www.carfax.com/car_buying/car_frame_damage.cfx

Seems like they don't considered anything bolted on structural. Not a good thing if you ask me. Would definetly make me question it.

Speaking from experience even though you may not plan on it...thing about how this will effect the re-sale value of the vehicle. I will tell you that I would not but from a private owner if the carfax showed structural/frame damage.
Have you ever taken a CTS-V apart? You do realize that the front core support is not bolted in. It's spot welded in 4 spots on each side and 4 below. So basically that would be considered STRUCTURAL by Carfax definition because it is spot welded in which is a complete joke. I could lightly tap into a mailbox and it would probably bend the upper core support on these cars very poorly done. Take this from somebody who has rebuilt a ton of CTS-V.

I will let you know something else look up CARFAX being sued for mis-typed/mis-interpreted accident reports. Even labeling the wrong Vin with accidents. Carfax is horrible at times.

For owner looking at this car, I cannot say what price but I would do a complete check of car. First find out where damage occured speak with that Texas dealer it was braught into alot they should know extent. Let's say it was hit leftside then look on underside pinch weld to see if any seam sealer is there since original panel had none on underside pinch clearly visible. That would be sign of uniside change/major damage. Any black undercoating on underside in extra areas outside normal factory spots walk away fast.

Last edited by TroyFleming; 12-11-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: V with repaired damage?