Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

275/35/18 is what I run all around on my TD wheels.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Thank you much, for this one and the other response. Coilovers?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
275/35/18 is what I run all around on my TD wheels.
Same here. I run KWV3s. After 4 track days, very happy with them so far.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Launching!

just in case you have not seen my other posts, I have added LG/GSS Motorsports coilovers
these are true front and back coilovers, talk to Louis/Moze @ LG/GSS Motorsports

they're great, I'll NEVER go back to stock...
but I don't know how they compare to others coilovers since I never felt the others

--Jerry

Last edited by jerrycecco; 06-26-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Jerry -

I have read, likely ALL, of your other posts, as I have tediously searched both forums and digested it all. I appreciate your viewpoint because you took so long to decide. I also appreciate very much your willingness to share all that you know, and be candid about that which you don't know. All this info, from a man who tracks his car, is very valuable.

I unfortunately am very picky too, in that I test drive high performance cars as part of my way to pay the mortgage. My last track car had the full-on Moton setup, and I have found that it has made it hard for me to have realistic expectations of other suspension setups that I've tested. However, on the 997 platform, I also have very much liked the KW V3, especially since it is a small fraction of the cost of the Motons.

I'll be having the fully adjustable end links (just ordered) mated to Hotchkis sways, coilovers, all the BMR suspension stuff, and hopefully some steering enhancements. All of this will be set up by a group that set up my own car, S Car Go Racing in San Rafael, CA. I now have moved out here, though at the time they set my car up, I lived in far away hillbilly-land (East Tennessee... and I'm a PROUD hillbilly!)

I'm trying to stick with what I know works here. I don't have the funds to go through 4 different suspensions like I did before. One of those setups that got pulled back out was a Bilstein setup, as I snapped no less than 4 of the shock bodies on the track, and that's with a full coilover setup like yours, which is the design that the car originally had.

However, I don't intend to order for a day or so. I'd love to hear from Lou/Moze to see what they have to say about my concerns, because they have much more experience on the track with specifics and dynamics than I do. It is likely that my concerns are invalid, because they have been proven to be non-issues. However, because I was the guy who had his car set up differently every weekend, I am concerned about the limited adjustably of the shocks.

Thanks again for all the gracious feedback.

Jared
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
I'm having oil temp issues, so we're working on an answer for that, which will likely include an AccuSump. I very much remember the feeling of blowing up a $15k 911 engine that didn't have a dry sump. Never again.
I hope that you've read up on all the oil temp indication issues caused by bad grounds? Chances are that you're really not having oil temp issues, but just have an indication problem.

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Same here. I run KWV3s. After 4 track days, very happy with them so far.
Add another to the list. 275/35-18s (Hankook Z214s in my case) on TD wheels. Like Bu Bu, I'm running KW V3s, although I bumped the rear spring rate to 10kg/mm to match the fronts. ("Stock" V3 rates are 10 front / 9 rear, but the factory V spring rates are matched 400#/in front and rear, so it made sense to at least make the V3 rates match, too. Most/all of the guys running Ground Control coil-over conversions have gone higher in the rear.)

Originally Posted by jerrycecco
just in case you have not seen my other posts, I have added LG/GSS Motorsports coilovers
these are true front and back coilovers, talk to Louis/Moze @ LG/GSS Motorsports
I'm sure he's seen your track review, in which you explained that the new coilovers "planed firm no Caddy sqworm" but "developed a squeeze late in the day." He's probably as confused as the rest of us as he searches Babelfish for the Jerry-to-English translator.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I hope that you've read up on all the oil temp indication issues caused by bad grounds? Chances are that you're really not having oil temp issues, but just have an indication problem.

Add another to the list. 275/35-18s (Hankook Z214s in my case) on TD wheels. Like Bu Bu, I'm running KW V3s, although I bumped the rear spring rate to 10kg/mm to match the fronts. ("Stock" V3 rates are 10 front / 9 rear, but the factory V spring rates are matched 400#/in front and rear, so it made sense to at least make the V3 rates match, too. Most/all of the guys running Ground Control coil-over conversions have gone higher in the rear.)

I'm sure he's seen your track review, in which you explained that the new coilovers "planed firm no Caddy sqworm" but "developed a squeeze late in the day." He's probably as confused as the rest of us as he searches Babelfish for the Jerry-to-English translator.
Awesome. Thank you so much. Yesterday, it was slow to crank, and then just DIDN'T, and I had to jump it off with my wife's Mazda3, which wasn't very cool. Maybe the bad ground is also keeping the battery from charging... I'll look at it.

Great on the tires too. I downloaded a Tire Size Calc app for my iPhone yesterday. I just can't decide if it's worth it to buy the TD wheels AND the KWs at the same time. Quite a money dump all at once.

And that's downright hilarious about the review on the other coils. I laughed aloud, twice... so far!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Blakt out,

Depending on your budget "Penske" and Angelo at "Anze Engineering" has developed the 7500 double adjustible inline coilovers for the Cts v Which are true coilovers for the rear. The springs are Hyperco and you can have unlimited possibilites with spring rates." Anze Engineering" have worked on the cts v race/ street cars for a long time and really know what these cars need. I have the first set on my V but since the car is in the fabrication shop for a widebody kit no track time yet( NOLA motorsports park longest road course in North america is not open yet August hopefully ) but the street ride is extremely smooth and the handling well lets just say that the factory tires are the weak point now. And these are Race shocks with solid mounts to replace the rubber ones. (the photo is of my rear coilover)

Just a thought
Attached Thumbnails Road Racing-ctsv-r-anze-75da-106-2-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zzilla
Blakt out,

Depending on your budget "Penske" and Angelo at "Anze Engineering" has developed the 7500 double adjustible inline coilovers for the Cts v Which are true coilovers for the rear. The springs are Hyperco and you can have unlimited possibilites with spring rates." Anze Engineering" have worked on the cts v race/ street cars for a long time and really know what these cars need. I have the first set on my V but since the car is in the fabrication shop for a widebody kit no track time yet( NOLA motorsports park longest road course in North america is not open yet August hopefully ) but the street ride is extremely smooth and the handling well lets just say that the factory tires are the weak point now. And these are Race shocks with solid mounts to replace the rubber ones. (the photo is of my rear coilover)

Just a thought
What's the price of the Penske coilover?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by zzilla
And these are Race shocks with solid mounts to replace the rubber ones. (the photo is of my rear coilover)
I want to see the solid mounts. Is it just the upper mounts that are solid, or did they replace the bushing in the rear knuckle with a solid mount, too?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Launching!

sorry for the bad typing,
LG coilovers were great at the track
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

zzilla -

Thanks a ton. Pricing and/or contact info would be great.

Jared
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

I want to see the solid mounts. Is it just the upper mounts that are solid, or did they replace the bushing in the rear knuckle with a solid mount, too?
Angelo is working on the rear knuckle as we speak.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
zzilla -

Thanks a ton. Pricing and/or contact info would be great.

Jared
http://www.anzesuspension.com/home.cfm Call and ask for "Angelo" pricing will vary as to what set up options you want. You are looking at around double compared to the Kw's ($1999.00KW price)but there is no comparison in engineering adjustibility in any way.Angelo will ask you questions like tire /wheel size suspension set up, what do you want to do with the car etc... then build your set up from there. I know KW will not do that. Kw does make race shocks for some race teams but they do not make those quality coilovers/dampners for our cars and they have limited spring rates that you can safely use. Yes it is pay to play but since your job is testing high performance cars you can appreciate top notch engineering.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

I've spent some time at Road America with my M3. The biggest insult wasn't being passed by a CTSv, it was seeing three passengers in the rear seat. It was a Alfa Club touring session. They have loose rules.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

2 words... OIL COOLER!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HPFreak
2 words... OIL COOLER!

Yup and if your running Rcomps and doing +1 Lateral Gs, then an accusump also
Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Zzilla:

Thanks so much for that. You're right. I do appreciate top notch engineering. I hate that I can't afford that right now though, and it actually sounds like a deal.

I am going to do the accusump and oil cooler though. Force Fed Performance is pricing it out for me right now. Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Quick Reply: Road Racing