Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2duc
No, got the 06 V with 3800 mi (BRAND NEW CAR!) for 26K so even if I did the LPE job for 11 thou I'd still be way under 40 thou. I've not seen a Gen II V that I would even sit in for under 50 grand, so that logic not making sense to me at this point. I'm a sucker for old one owner stuff with really low miles. I was just drooling over an 05 CTS-V popped up on Ebay this morning right in my back yard in MA. One owner-18,000 miles! Had to move along, sayin "wait a minute-I just bought one of these a few months ago!" It's amazing how cars depreciate in the US of A market. I scanned back in the other CTS-V forum through the classifieds last night. 2 years ago people were getting 35K for 2005's, then the Gen II showed up and the bottom dropped out. When is the next full redesign? 2014, I think? That would be the time to jump on an 09-11 model. But you are dead right-new ones much easier and cheaper to modify for performance.
i understand the love for this car. i love mine, it is a complete blast to drive. and i see why you bought that 06. i would jump on one of those if i found one with 3800 miles. but to me, my opinion not saying what you feel it incorrect or something like that, a new car has a different definition. new is that model year or the year perivous with less just "test miles" on there. never titled to anyone else, never left a dealer lot before me. anything that is 5 years old that has been titled isnt new to me. that comes with growing up on a car lot and what my dad taught me about cars. but if you love your car, thats all that matters and i hope you enjoy the **** out of it. i know i am with me, haha.

the big difference between V1 and V2 is the level of refinement. to quote something whisler told me after he spent a weekend in houston tracking V2s...the V1 is more raw in its approach to getting things done, it is basically a 4 door Vette. where as the V2 is refine and elegent, a 556hp Cadillac. there is nothing vette about the V2 other then is has a LS platform under the hood. that is my logic behind the V1 to V2. its hard to compare the 2, and pretty much like comparing apples and oranges. the maybe both "fruits", but the have different flavors, pick the one you want to take a bite from and enjoy it.

and that has got to be the gayest car analogy ever on my part...i will work on that.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i understand the love for this car. i love mine, it is a complete blast to drive. and i see why you bought that 06. i would jump on one of those if i found one with 3800 miles. but to me, my opinion not saying what you feel it incorrect or something like that, a new car has a different definition. new is that model year or the year perivous with less just "test miles" on there. never titled to anyone else, never left a dealer lot before me. anything that is 5 years old that has been titled isnt new to me. that comes with growing up on a car lot and what my dad taught me about cars. but if you love your car, thats all that matters and i hope you enjoy the **** out of it. i know i am with me, haha.

the big difference between V1 and V2 is the level of refinement. to quote something whisler told me after he spent a weekend in houston tracking V2s...the V1 is more raw in its approach to getting things done, it is basically a 4 door Vette. where as the V2 is refine and elegent, a 556hp Cadillac. there is nothing vette about the V2 other then is has a LS platform under the hood. that is my logic behind the V1 to V2. its hard to compare the 2, and pretty much like comparing apples and oranges. the maybe both "fruits", but the have different flavors, pick the one you want to take a bite from and enjoy it.

and that has got to be the gayest car analogy ever on my part...i will work on that.
To be honest Cole, that is the perfect analogy. The reason I decided not sell my low mileage V1 and get an IS-F was the rawness of the V that I loved. It feels like I am in a muscle car with a bit more refinement than a Z06 or Camaro. I love the "4 door vette" analogy as well.

The V2 is a bit too refined for me as is the IS-F and the RS4 I was looking at. I have a Spinmonster cam (230/234 XFI/XE-R) and LT's going in soon to make it even more raw. 425rwhp is enough for a vehicle only driven to work or to family functions with the little guy in the back seat. I will be picking up another 03 Cobra to get crazy with. 600+ rwhp with a blower swap is tough to beat.

I completely agree in regards to LPE as well after talking to them about this exact kit.

Reg
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

It saddens me to hear all this hate toward a V1. I recently bought one a Few Months ago and coming from several F-bodies this Car is a MUCH Nicer car All Around, It Handles Better, Stops Better, The Interior is Nicer, Better Electonics, Etc... Being a Car Dealer myself I was lucky enough to not get stiffed on the Price, Paid $15k for a 45k Mile 2005 and at That Price I can justify buying a V1 over a V2, LoL!!

You Guys should ask yourself why you bought a V1?

Did you Buy it Because you wanted to be the Fastest? (Should've got a Vette,03-04 Cobra,or F-Body for the Price range, Better Platforms)

Did you buy it because it was the Lightest? ( LoL, I hope Not)

Did you buy it Actually thinking The IRS would hold up? ( Granted it Should be Better, But look at other cars with IRS, They all Have issues)

Did you Buy it Thinking it would hold its Value Well? (Look at Any Highline or German Car FAIL, Look at LS2 Vettes New Were $40-$50k You can Buy them Now for in the $20's, Look a GTO's New Were $30k-$40k you can Buy them for $11k-$15k, Also Practice what you Preach, CTS-V2's New were $60k-$70k and ALREADY you can pick those up for in the $40k's !!! Plus MANY others!!

Did you Buy a Cadillac Thinking Parts were gonna be Cheap? ( Again Shouldve bought an F-Body)

For Myself I bought mine Because I wanted a Fast Toy that Could Double as a Comfy DD and Family Car, Plus Like I said I couldnt pass up the Deal I got on Mine.

Also, Whats up with all the Slow E/T's and Trap Speeds I see posted all the time with These Cars? I ran mine with K&N Intake and Muffler Delete and Ran a 12.7 @ 112 !! Even Ran my Buddies Full Bolt On LS1 T/A and Wore him out.Maybe its the Elevation Im at, Thank you Florida!!! or Driver Mod...........

For what they can do I.E. Powerful, Handle Well, Stop Well, Carry 5 People, Good on Gas, Look Good, and Have Lots of Features. All in All IMHO V1's are Great Cars for Under $20k

As for the LPE Kit, Its all in the Name, Like Said Before LPE got there name in the 80's and 90's for Being One Of the First High Performance Companies out there, Mainly Catering to Vettes. Just Like Hennesey with Viper's. The Prices are VERY HIGH, Good Quality Work, But there are other shops that can do the same for Almost Half the Price.

Ok, All Done Now

Last edited by LS1iFiEd; 02-16-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ bought mine because I saw a commercial with the letters LS6 and Cadillac in the same sentence back in 2003-2004, and then only saw one on the road for 2 years...bought one late 05'...for me it's the styling and the exclusivity....I see a bunch of V2's sedans and coupes running around my area already...why? Because you can get a automatic... I still love the new car but I doubt it has the quirky personality of the V1 which can be a pita but really does make the car fun.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nikon
^^ bought mine because I saw a commercial with the letters LS6 and Cadillac in the same sentence back in 2003-2004, and then only saw one on the road for 2 years...bought one late 05'...for me it's the styling and the exclusivity....I see a bunch of V2's sedans and coupes running around my area already...why? Because you can get a automatic... I still love the new car but I doubt it has the quirky personality of the V1 which can be a pita but really does make the car fun.
Exactly. Only around 500 V2's were sold with the M6. Old guys love the autos.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand, an automatic would not fit in a V1, so main reason they are all 6-speeds...Which is fine with me, because I would not have bought one if it were automatic and I'd get bored with an auto even in a V2...Sure it has awesome power and performance, but there's just something I don't like about it compared to the V1. Not hating on the V2, but just doesn't get me all excited, I guess, and especially considering it would cost me 2-3X as much; no thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
From what I understand, an automatic would not fit in a V1, so main reason they are all 6-speeds...Which is fine with me, because I would not have bought one if it were automatic and I'd get bored with an auto even in a V2...Sure it has awesome power and performance, but there's just something I don't like about it compared to the V1. Not hating on the V2, but just doesn't get me all excited, I guess, and especially considering it would cost me 2-3X as much; no thanks.
My shop told me they could put a 4l80 in the car, would it be a lot of work yes....but not anymore then putting one in a C6Z. I agree though an auto would get boring but they are very easy on the driveline. Sure would suck in the back country roads though it would be a horrible mix with the handling of our car.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd have to find where I read that, although perhaps they wanted to put one of their 5-speed autos in (GM) and that one wouldn't fit without firewall mods, or whatever. No matter though, thankfully we got 6-speeds! Another nice thing I like they did is allow full manual control of the car by being able to disable the T/C and stability control, if you're feeling squirrly, lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1iFiEd
It saddens me to hear all this hate toward a V1. I recently bought one a Few Months ago and coming from several ..... Ok, All Done Now
^^^Short hand edit...

its not hate for the V1 for me. I love my car, and i dont regret buying it for one second. i got it because when the 04s came out, i was a senior in High School and my dad was working for a car dealer in Fort Worth at the time. i remember seeing one, and liking it even though i didnt know what it was. so i went home, looked it up, and (like nikon) saw LS6 and Cadillac in one sentence and wanted one. ever since then, i have dreamed about owning a V, and they were finally cheap enough that i could afford one. 6 years to the day after i graduated from high school, i bought my 2007 V.

did i think it was going to be the fastest car, no. did i want it to be the fastest, no. do i love driving the car, **** yea. do i want something faster, yes. did i think an IRS would be a good drag setup, hell no. did i think this was a cheap cheap, no. but it still has an LS, which keeps the prices similar to a Vette.

Quick Reply: Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please