Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hardblok for rear differential?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hardblok for rear differential?

So, I was pondering to myself today...you see a guys filling their blocks with block-filler to increase the structural rigidity of the engine. And from what I've seen, it seems that the case of the V's differential seems to be the weak point.

Now keep in mind, I have ZERO experience with block filler so this could very well be a stupid question.

Has anyone ever attempted to use block filler such as hardblok on the V's rear differential case? According to Hardblok's website, "Product has been tested and proven effective in aluminum blocks" so it should also work with our aluminum cases. I am assuming that you would need to avoid the areas where the bearings are inserted and may run into possible heat issues?

Anyone with block-filling experience, please chime in.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like this product may work as well...Embeco 885
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good thinking, horrible idea

it is basically concrete... it works well in blocks because it is in the water passages, you would not want this near oil... if little particles break loose it will start to wear things.

Problem Number 2, i doubt there is much room inside the diff to add anything, so there would be minimal gain, and reduced diff fluid would build heat quicker.

There may be some option in using some sort of JBweldish material on the outside to fill in some of the webbing, but it may also not dissipate heat as well, so hard to tell the benefits.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh...I did not realize that this was like concrete! I was under the impression that it was a hardening agent that could be applied directly to the metal. I wonder if there is any type of hardening resin that could be applied directly to the aluminum? And if so, if it would even provide enough strength to make a difference.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any coating applied to the exterior of the diff case will insulate, keeping heat in the diff, which is what the V diff definitely does not need. If anything, the diff needs more capacity and more material on the exterior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardblok for rear differential?