Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Creative Steel Diff bushing warrenty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative Steel Diff bushing warrenty!

I had a gray diff bushing let go on the car over the winter. I gave max a call and told him what had happened. Not only did he send me a stronger replacement he also sent a new poly block that fits in the sub frame on top of the diff.

I'm still testing it out, but it feels very solid so far. Hoping for a few good days later on this week i will have a better feel for it! This is designed to help keep the stock Diffs planted so there is less drive-line movement!

Last edited by tityrous; 03-05-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear he (they) have a good customer service, as I'm planning on buying stuff there, after I get back on my feet.

curious though...what exactly holds that 'block' in between the diff and bracket, or is it just 'squished' in between? If so, imagine there's enough force to not allow it to fall out?

Ah, so that's what the tools looks like...How hard is it to replace and/or get access to that bushing? I am debating if I can do it with my existing equipment, or if I should bite the bullet and rent that tool from him...

Finally, does that bracket come off, or how exactly do you push the bushing out, without it being blocked by that bracket (or does the diff drop down enough to clear the bracket and why you disconnected the DS? I have not been under the rear enough to study it, so trying to visualize procedure. Does that mean the only thing holding the diff to the car is that one bolt/bushing?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The block takes up all the space in the cradle on top of the diff mount. I squeezed it in there before bolting the diff back in place.

I took the hangers off of the exhaust. I dropped it enough to lower the diff down to get access to the bushing once unbolted from the cradle. In order to drop the diff down enough I loosened the back two Diff mounting bolts. I also unbolted the Driveshaft from the diff and center bearing to drop it down. I did need a hand prying the front of the diff down to gain access for the tool.

I have done this bushing 2 different ways, this tool is bye far the easiest way i have done it! The tool comes with instructions but you basically hold the brass nut with a wrench and tighten down the other side, this presses the bushing right out!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks for the info! I know my bushing is fubar'd and can't wait to replace it. Doesn't sound too awfully difficult then [except maybe just getting under the car to work] and especially with the right tool. I may look into this block too then, as I'm tired of loose sounding diff (and bad mounts); makes it feel like a POS, even though I know it's not.

Amazing the diff is only held on by one bolt and a flimsy (oem) bushing then...Wow, no wonder they're so prone to the clunking and such. I have a near new oem bushing and was tempted to go cheap and make my own poly, but not so sure...don't feel like doing this twice!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is three mounting spots to the diffs! 2 of them on the back side bolts are easily accessed!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, ok that makes more sense! So, do those two mounts bolt directly to a bracket (like the diff housing is threaded), or they use bushings on the bracket(?), too?

Have you been able to drive it since you installed, to see the difference?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

those 2 bolts are mounted threw rubber bushings on the cradle threaded in the diff!

I have driven the car a few times since the install, it feels very sold out back now! easier to get into gear.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also had my motor mounts warrantied by Max and he is a great guy. I was not even the original owner of them and he still stood behind his work. Hoping my new diff and motor mounts work out.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tityrous
those 2 bolts are mounted threw rubber bushings on the cradle threaded in the diff!
Interesting I never seem to read anybody needing to replace those rubber pieces. Sounds like you may have had a good look at them and do you think that is something that may help changing, also? Not so much to poly, but maybe after many thousand miles and them getting hard/cracked, etc? Maybe they are a strong, durable rubber though and mounted in such a way as it wouldn't matter...

Good to hear it's working better now...Getting kind of tired with this clunking as I said and along with warped rotors, really driving me nuts!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

my grey diff bushing looked worse than that. Mine inner bushing, where the bolt goes, sawed all the way throught the poly. Max issued warranty, no questions. Nice tool, CS still asking for a 200 deposit, even when you needed it to replace the warranty bushing????

I have in the UUC diff bushing now.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Interesting I never seem to read anybody needing to replace those rubber pieces. Sounds like you may have had a good look at them and do you think that is something that may help changing, also? Not so much to poly, but maybe after many thousand miles and them getting hard/cracked, etc? Maybe they are a strong, durable rubber though and mounted in such a way as it wouldn't matter...

Good to hear it's working better now...Getting kind of tired with this clunking as I said and along with warped rotors, really driving me nuts!
The rubber on the back mounts on my cradle look great i have 110,000 miles with a few winters under its belt!

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
my grey diff bushing looked worse than that. Mine inner bushing, where the bolt goes, sawed all the way throught the poly. Max issued warranty, no questions. Nice tool, CS still asking for a 200 deposit, even when you needed it to replace the warranty bushing????

I have in the UUC diff bushing now.
I put the deposit down on the tool. I'm fine with that it only guarantees that i return the tool in a timely manner!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey quick question whats the torque spec on the diff bolts? Also where can you find most of the torque specs for the v?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't remember what the specs are for the bolts sorry!

Quick Reply: Creative Steel Diff bushing warrenty!