Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch and T-56 trans question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch and T-56 trans question....

Just wanted to get some input from you guys. The tranny in my car has an issue with reverse and has since i bought it. Every other gear shifts smooth like butter but when i use reverse, it grinds sometimes when i'm trying to get it in gear. Once its in, it works fine. Im not sure if its an internal issue or if it is an adjustment needed in the linkage. Ill have to take a closer look. Anyway, long story short, i bought another good used t-56 trans incase the issue with mine is internal.

Is there a way to have the extra trans i bought tested before i have it installed to be safe? I just don't want to go through the hassle of the swap to find out its not perfect as expected. Only reason i bought it before having mine looked at is because of the deal i got on it. Wouldn't have been smart of me to pass up.

I also bought a new stage 4 competition clutch (part # CK-4173-4) and light flywheel brand new in the box off another member here who bought it but never got it installed. My stock clutch is holding up fine as of now but i figured if im going to swap my trans, it would be a perfect time to ditch the stock clutch and heavy *** stock flywheel.

Anyone had any experience with this brand? I see people talking about spec and monster but i haven't heard much about competition clutches. I read specs on their website and it looked like a nice kit so i decided to pick it up but before i install it, i wanted some opinions incase i'd be better running something else.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.competitionclutch.com/pro...dex.php?id=400

Scroll down and you will see it. Its obviously the same clutch for the V as they have listed for the corvette.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have never heard of them, but that doesnt mean much. just because people on this forum dont use it doesnt mean that its a bad clutch.

i went with monster because where i am getting it install, i am getting a hell of a deal.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the extra T56 you bought out of a V? or an fbody?

CC seems like an import brand but you never know i guess.

And reverse deal seems like an internal problem to me, there really is no adjustment on our clutches.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

T56 was out of a V.

And yeah, i noticed they have a lot of import applications but they have a lot of domestic kits too. I had never heard of them either but i opened the box and took a look and it seems to be a quality kit. Just debating or whether i should sell it and buy the LS7 kit i had originally planned to run or just install this one.

Thats what i thought. Thats why i figured i'd pick up the extra trans incase that was my issue.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
T56 was out of a V.

And yeah, i noticed they have a lot of import applications but they have a lot of domestic kits too. I had never heard of them either but i opened the box and took a look and it seems to be a quality kit. Just debating or whether i should sell it and buy the LS7 kit i had originally planned to run or just install this one.

Thats what i thought. Thats why i figured i'd pick up the extra trans incase that was my issue.
LS7 is a tired and true application, so you know what to expect. its really your call on what you feel comfortable installing in your car. and that clutch is a bit of an unknown. so you will either love it or hate it, haha.

if it was me, i would sell that kit and get an LS7, Monster, or a Spec. but thats me...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

See... those were my thoughts exactly. Not saying its a bad kit by any means. Its prob nice and it holds good power but i'd feel more comfortable installing something that i've heard a little more feedback on.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
See... those were my thoughts exactly. Not saying its a bad kit by any means. Its prob nice and it holds good power but i'd feel more comfortable installing something that i've heard a little more feedback on.
bingo...haha.

afterall, you have to drive the car. and its better to know, then not.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
LS7 is a tired and true application, so you know what to expect. its really your call on what you feel comfortable installing in your car. and that clutch is a bit of an unknown. so you will either love it or hate it, haha.

if it was me, i would sell that kit and get an LS7, Monster, or a Spec. but thats me...
I think he meant to say Tried and True........see what 3 years in 6th grade does for ya.

I agree though i'd sell that CC clutch and buy an LS7, never read one bad review about it, and ive never read any review about CC.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I think he meant to say Tried and True........see what 3 years in 6th grade does for ya.

I agree though i'd sell that CC clutch and buy an LS7, never read one bad review about it, and ive never read any review about CC.
hey now...keep it in the BS thread. thats why is was started, to keep BS (mostly yours and my BS) out of other threads.

obey the rules or
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

There are several bad reviews on the LS7 if you look through the man trans section on the board. Many more good but several bad as well. Including my own experience. I wont ever use another LS7 or any pressure plate that has a self adjusting cover.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

The T-56's are famous for being a pain to get in reverse, rather it be a V or an F-Body. I have had a couple of both and what is funny is sometimes it will go in perfect and other times Son of a B. New and Used.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

i also had this same problem thought it was the tranny but i just put in Creative steel motor and trans mounts yesterday and my problem is gone i replaced my mounts on the whole well its going to break and some point theory but at 30k miles and 12 pass's at the track my mounts were starting to fall apart might want to look into some mounts...also the "parade clunk" is now gone that was the mounts baging around not the dual mass fly wheel excuse other people are talking about in refrence to that noise
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help fellas. Looks like ill do a little research on that LS7 it before i go that route. I didnt know there were any bad experiences. All the ones i saw were saying how good of a swap it was. Thanks for the info! Maybe ill consider keeping this clutch i bought. Says the stage 4 kit is rated to hold 700RWHP. Seems pretty stout to me.

As far as the trans, i'm sure motor and trans mounts would help out greatly. My car is due for them and has been for awhile but i have yet to order them. Since i baby it around as my daily, i just haven't decided to spend the money on them yet but i will be ordering some soon. I hope that fixes my problem too when it tightens everything up under there.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Neversatisfied, I have an LS7 clutch kit and a PISNUOFF shifter, and that's my favorite mod to the car thus far, although my list really only includes hollow cats, hollow mufflers, a tune, and a K&N CAI.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a stock modded shifter similar to the one u have. Another member on here did it for me. The clutch is a def upgrade. I hate my stock one with that stock flywheel. I plan to hollow my cats and tune my car soon but as of now, I just have a k&n intake kit, magnaflow catback with x pipe and I cut the mufflers out of it cause it was almost as quiet as stock. Sounds good now but once it's tuned and I get my o2's turned off, I wanna cut my cats and run it with just the x pipe for a bit before I put some mufflers back in to calm it down a little. As much as I hate flowmasters, they sound great on these cars with no cats. Maybe dynomax race bullets or something. We will see
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Not mentioned yet - kinda rookie - but;

Are you putting it in first before you put it in reverse when it's being obstinate?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had this issue with all three clutches i have had in my car. first gear and reverse at times can be a pain to get into. its little things like this that put a black eye on some of gms vehicles.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah... I do the 1st to reverse thing. I don't think it's a clutch issue. 1st is always smooth in mine... It's only reverse. And when I engage the clutch, I stick it in reverse, start letting the clutch out and it will grind. I try again and it works. I'm not sure if that means it's clutch related or tranny related but it seems like the clutch wouldn't be my problem.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

It sounds like a reverse syncro problem.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
It sounds like a reverse syncro problem.
i'd say that's almost certainly what it is. just sucks to have to get the tranny out for something so intermittent, especially when you aren't shifting into R at high RPM heh.