Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

FAST 102mm intake and 92mm TB... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't really think heat soak would be that big of an issue considering how fast the air is moving through the intake manifold. Still... why don't we compare apples to apples instead of apples to... jet fighters.

Oh and 4door, when you factor in the sale of stock parts to compare prices why don't you do it for both.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

like i said... gimme a couple of weeks and i will put the car on the dyno... ill even leave it running for the people that thinking the it being heat soaked is gonna be a big deal... and i will post the numbers on here
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its already been proven multiple times that the BBK intake heat soaks at idle.....its metal, sitting on top of hot metal....by its very makeup physically it HAS to heat up more then the composite intakes. Plus it doesn't make the power that a fast will as its not that great an intake....

I even saw a few tests where the LS6 outperformed it pretty easily. Its an upgrade to the LS1 intake, but it seems a sideways step to the LS6
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Its already been proven multiple times that the BBK intake heat soaks at idle.....its metal, sitting on top of hot metal....by its very makeup physically it HAS to heat up more then the composite intakes. Plus it doesn't make the power that a fast will as its not that great an intake....

I even saw a few tests where the LS6 outperformed it pretty easily. Its an upgrade to the LS1 intake, but it seems a sideways step to the LS6
well the bbk i have is ported and when i go and spray my car i dont have to worry about nitrous back fire and blow my intake to pieces... plus i know the the car is making more power with the bbk just in how it feels in the driver seat
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98silvermaro
well the bbk i have is ported and when i go and spray my car i dont have to worry about nitrous back fire and blow my intake to pieces... plus i know the the car is making more power with the bbk just in how it feels in the driver seat
Jesus if thats a reason you picked that intake it just shows your knowledge of cars. Nitrous will backfire on any intake, i guarantee you will cause more damage with a nitrous backfire in the BBK intake over an LS6. Id rather lose the 300 dollar intake then a lot more.

And you do know that nitrous backfires are fairly rare right.

I hope it works for you, but i have to agree with the above. BBK is an upgrade over the LS1 and a sidestep to the LS6.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Jesus if thats a reason you picked that intake it just shows your knowledge of cars. Nitrous will backfire on any intake, i guarantee you will cause more damage with a nitrous backfire in the BBK intake over an LS6. Id rather lose the 300 dollar intake then a lot more.

And you do know that nitrous backfires are fairly rare right.

I hope it works for you, but i have to agree with the above. BBK is an upgrade over the LS1 and a sidestep to the LS6.
nitrous back fire is not the main reason i pick this intake... i slighty out performs the ls6 with a larger throttle body... plus my bbk is ported so its gonna give it a few more hp to the tires and porting a ls6 intake will do nothing for you... im not gonna spend 1,000 dollars to pick up 10whp

im not saying this intake is god and gonna pick me up 30rwhp... i think with the bbk ported intake, 85mm tb, slp maf, 85mm lid and a retune it will put at least another 15 to the tires and it cost me less than 100 bucks after i sold all my stock parts and i little bit of time
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, there are plus and minuses to either, but the BBK is a sideways step IMO. A nitrous backfire has the possibility to damage either in all reality.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98silvermaro
nitrous back fire is not the main reason i pick this intake... i slighty out performs the ls6 with a larger throttle body... plus my bbk is ported so its gonna give it a few more hp to the tires and porting a ls6 intake will do nothing for you... im not gonna spend 1,000 dollars to pick up 10whp

im not saying this intake is god and gonna pick me up 30rwhp... i think with the bbk ported intake, 85mm tb, slp maf, 85mm lid and a retune it will put at least another 15 to the tires and it cost me less than 100 bucks after i sold all my stock parts and i little bit of time
Well Ill stop the pissing match haha, good luck to you I hope it works for you, please post the results though im anxious to see now.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Well Ill stop the pissing match haha, good luck to you I hope it works for you, please post the results though im anxious to see now.
will do... ill be getting tune next week for sure ant then ill be hitting the dyno up the following week when i get back in town
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Well I don't really think heat soak would be that big of an issue considering how fast the air is moving through the intake manifold. Still... why don't we compare apples to apples instead of apples to... jet fighters.

Oh and 4door, when you factor in the sale of stock parts to compare prices why don't you do it for both.
lol he bought his used, the other guy bought his new... i agree, 99.9 percent of the time i will buy a non mechanical part over a new part, as long as it will perform like new. im sure you can agree that 1300 is an *** load of money to pick up 7rwhp... 102s in my opinion are good for 400+ cubes. i have a ported 90mm ls2 dbw tb and ls3 ported intake, it cost me about 15 in sand rolls to port them and a few hours... i wouldnt redo it again, but i think porting and cleaning up stock casted pieces can free up a little hp, but save you a good bit in the short and long run... toss 100 shot on that ls6 and still have a few hundred bux for refills. i have been told by many shop owners, and i would mention who they are, but i have a feeling i would get in trouble, say spend that money somewhere else... if i was spending that kind of money, i would be getting my heads ported, and maybe some cheap headers, thats my thought do the best gains for the money. i see site sponsors doing cam swaps for a 1000. we can all agree that a cam is going to see much more gain than an intake, and since you guys are all bowing for the ls6 intake, you should support that statement and move on the mod list... ls engines really love aftermarket camshafts. so that is where i would start
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

I think the main thing is you're almost giving the impression that a bbk makes more power than a FAST, which is far from the truth. I honestly don't think a stock BBK would make any more power than an LS6. But this guy here has one that was already ported and I bet he still doesn't get much more out of it but it won't even be a fair comparison because he's changing other **** too. A used ported 90/90 would make a lot more power than that bbk and not cost too much more.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I think the main thing is you're almost giving the impression that a bbk makes more power than a FAST, which is far from the truth. I honestly don't think a stock BBK would make any more power than an LS6. But this guy here has one that was already ported and I bet he still doesn't get much more out of it but it won't even be a fair comparison because he's changing other **** too. A used ported 90/90 would make a lot more power than that bbk and not cost too much more.
i agree with it not picking up as much as the 90/90 but it gonna cost like 800 for a 90/90 setup vs. 450 for the bbk 85/85 set up... almost half the price and when i sold my ls6/tb i spent 30 dollars out of pocket and saved 350 dollars and picked up some power
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

you would have to have a set control condition to test them. 85 compared to 90 isnt going to be a huge difference, look at the crappy design of the ls2 intake, its a 90, so design has more to do than the size, but the ls2s do better than the ls6 for boost if im not mistaken, but we never were comparing a 90/90 to begin with, but look at the cost of a 90/90 ported set up. the fast was designed behind the ls6 intake anyways because it was a great design, but the cost per gain doesnt seem worth much on a otherwise stock car... bolting a 102 set up to a 346 with maybe intake and exhaust is way too much. even with heads cam on a 346 a 102 is way to big... again unless you are over 400cid i wouldnt change out to a fast. a 90/90 ported set up is nice, but my point is parts matching makes a better combination, even if it makes less hp. what benifit is a ported fast 90/90 when his camshaft and heads cant flow the additional air??? i hear most people talking about the most hp, the most hp, and everything comes to a dyno. but a good street car needs parts that are responsive and easy to maintain, and are street friendly... i wouldnt sacrifice daily drivablility for a few extra hp.

98silvermaro has 85mm lid, 85mm maf, slp bellow, ported 85mm tb, 85mm ported bbk... its all going to flow smoothly and transition with ease and once it gets dynoed, im sure he will post up.

i know the guy has a caddy and this is a little wack, but what good is a 102 intake and tb, on an f body, and have a stock lid, stock maf, stock bellow, with stock heads, cam, and you just have headers and a tune?

the point is this whole thing was about the heat soaked 85 bbk vs an ls6 vs a 102 on a 346. a few guys were complaining and saying heat trap this, if you check out the carb set ups with the elbow with throttle bodies, they are making the best power in my opinion. there are two types of cars, dyno queens and street kings...

stock bottom end ls1 with a crap ton of nitrous are running 9s its all where you wanna spend money, and how you wanna make your power

Quick Reply: FAST 102mm intake and 92mm TB... worth it?