Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Options to replace factory sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whisler151
Mine was left in. It still functions. If I want to take out the sub/amp my stereo is back to stock.
Same left mine in and it still works.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where the plug in adapter can be bought to go from the factory amp to the new aftermarket amp?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ don't think one exists....just run speaker wire from the existing wires going to the sub to the high side input on the amp.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nikon is right. Use an inline high to low level converter to convert it to low level, then play the tunes. I think the built in crossover in the system itself should be sufficient.

Chitown, I'd personally wire a better woofer for high impedance and try it on a stock amp, I'm unsure the power output, but it moves that puny woofer pretty well.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I am going to throw a sub in the stock subs place and try that with the stock system. Not sure if it will work so if not I am going to do the open air sub and try that. If it still does not sounds great I will just do an enclosed box and lose some trunk space.

Thanks for the help and if you guys have any other advise let me know!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a little more work you could always mount the box underneath where the current sub is....wouldn't lose any trunk space...someone has done it, can't remember which forum I saw it on...looked EXTREMELY clean, couldn't see a damn thing unless you bent down.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I had my car at the shop today. Putting in a new head unit (Sony's high end - something like $1200) with a JL Audio 1000/1 sub amp that I had lying around from my Range Rover. Will put that on two Orion XTR-Pro 10s (Dual 2 ohm wired to four each then back down to two, putting me square at 1000 watts total or 500 each). Also putting in an Orion 600/4 amp for new Infinity Kappa 6.5" components in each door. So now, I'll have Bluetooth for the iPhone, Pandora in the head unit, iPod integration, etc. We're putting in all the adaptors and such that keep all the Class 2 circuitry in tact. I really hope I don't lose Competition Mode. I will be tracking this car at least 2 days every month and likely 6-10. But... I'm also a new techno addict. Gotta have bass!

My 911 track car (winner of a big shootout in Excellence Magazine) had 2 JL 8" subs in the back with two amps in the nose. I raced it under the numbers "808", which is the police code for disturbing the peace. I **** you not, I played that at full volume when we staged on the grid. HA!

I'm a redneck...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nikon
With a little more work you could always mount the box underneath where the current sub is....wouldn't lose any trunk space...someone has done it, can't remember which forum I saw it on...looked EXTREMELY clean, couldn't see a damn thing unless you bent down.
I can't remember which member it was either but it was a SUPER clean job. Long gone are the days that I wanna fill my trunk with flashy *** fiberglass boxes. And Cole just be sure to leave room for your CB antenna when you do the audio mod.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled some old photos for you!

I ripped out the factory sub and installed this box which was ported into the decklid.

Sounded perfect with the factory system.

I had some JL ZR's but I never installed them...
Attached Thumbnails Options to replace factory sub?-06-22-06_2019.jpg   Options to replace factory sub?-06-22-06_2021.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Another option - I ended up doing an Alpine free air Marine style sub-just had to enlarge the hole very minimal and it went in from the top- tight squeeze between the rear glass and the rear deck. Then i used an Alpine V12 1000watt amp and a MTX resQ sound processor. I did not want to do a box to take up the space and add the weight to the car. Only thing i would change is the amp to one with an adjustable remote bass ****. Its a compromise between poor factory bass and a full out system.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nikon
Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I can't remember which member it was either but it was a SUPER clean job. Long gone are the days that I wanna fill my trunk with flashy *** fiberglass boxes. And Cole just be sure to leave room for your CB antenna when you do the audio mod.
the guy you are talking about is ITSAV. Here is a thread of two options that I think would work...

Check out post #33 and #34 in the thread below
Subwoofer Ideas
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chitown21y
I think I am going to throw a sub in the stock subs place and try that with the stock system. Not sure if it will work so if not I am going to do the open air sub and try that. If it still does not sounds great I will just do an enclosed box and lose some trunk space.

Thanks for the help and if you guys have any other advise let me know!
Did you ever install a Infinity 100.9w in the stock location. I bought that sub and not sure even with trimming if it will fit under the glass its a beast with lots of depth. Can anybody explain how they were able to bet a 10inch to fit and what the depth of their sub is?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

So an 8" won't fit in the stock location? Alpine has a couple of new 8" free air subs. I don't want to do any cutting, even if its minimal.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwank
So an 8" won't fit in the stock location? Alpine has a couple of new 8" free air subs. I don't want to do any cutting, even if its minimal.
The 8inch Alpine is what I am looking at getting if I can't get this Infiniti kappa 10inch to fit. For the 8inch would need to build a plate to adapt it to the factory 10in mounting plate.

Anybody have ideas on how to get a 6inch deep 10inch in there, would I need to remove the rear window to install it or can that metal shelf come out somehow?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garrettg
Did you ever install a Infinity 100.9w in the stock location. I bought that sub and not sure even with trimming if it will fit under the glass its a beast with lots of depth. Can anybody explain how they were able to bet a 10inch to fit and what the depth of their sub is?

I haven't done anything as of yet. Went the performance route 1st. Is that a free air sub? That is what I am after. Just not sure which direction to go to have an easy install with the factory bose system.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Kicker 10" in stock location. I've not yet wired it though as I haven't had the time (6 months?!). The stock hole had to be snipped some to get it to fit. I removed the plastic tray the stock sub was mounted to & cut out the part the sub mounted & left the rest & replaced it on the rear deck lid. I made a template of the wood 5/8" MDF that would use the stock mount points to mount it to the rear deck & the speaker mounts to the MDF.

All this was done w/the rear window out while they had the car in the body shop for all the hail damage.

Since I haven't powered it up, I have one concern as the rear speaker grill doesn't sit flush & I haven't gotten back there to really see why.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A 10" will fit, but you have to remove some material from the ID to make it fit.
Attached Thumbnails Options to replace factory sub?-amps-speaker.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't see how the Infinity Kappa 100.9w would ever drop in from the top without removing the rear glass. I have seen some pictures of mounting from underneath so does anybody know if a free air sub can be mounted inverted/upside-down so it doesn't use as much trunk space? This would put the magnet up in the rear deck area.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using a sub similar to this one:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-657

I deadened the rear deck, cut the plastic tray the original speaker was in, fabbed an MDF baffle, slid the sub down in and secured it from underneath. I mounted the amp for it underneath the rear deck. Very little height lost in my trunk and it sounds good for most listening purposes. It doesn't hit hard, but the fill is definitely better than the stock POS.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by heavymetals
A 10" will fit, but you have to remove some material from the ID to make it fit.
Which sub and amp is this? Sound good without a box?

Thanks Dave

Quick Reply: Options to replace factory sub?