Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

MPG's ridiculous after cam install....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the highway i manage to pull around 27mpg cruising. but if im heavy with the pedal it goes away quickly.

OP are you now heavier on the gas since the cam? that would hurt your mpg more then anything.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very conscious of pedal position and what rpm I shift at, always between 2-3k, sometimes skipping gears if doable, and once I hit 45 mph it goes into 6th. Right now my average on the head unit shows 10.7... A joke if you ask me. These cars are cool and all, but not 10.7 average mpg cool...

Like I said. I'm going to play hard ball with my tuner. I want the car tuned closer to 13.2 at WOT with 12.5-8 at peak TQ.

As far as part throttle tuning goes, there has to be some modifier table that you can tune on while going part throttle below a certain RPM range, say 2,500 that allows the car to run leaner. He is a good tuner no doubt. I just don't want to **** him off by saying his tune suck cuz my car is getting 10mpg's when I drive it like my mom drives her camry lol

He tunes with EFI Live if it matters, is there any specific questions I can ask or things to suggest that might get him thinking??

Thanks for all the input guys...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree this car is not 10mpg cool at all especially with the mods you have lol. Have you calculated it by hand yet just to be sure your actually getting 10?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FRiCK
I am very conscious of pedal position and what rpm I shift at, always between 2-3k, sometimes skipping gears if doable, and once I hit 45 mph it goes into 6th. Right now my average on the head unit shows 10.7... A joke if you ask me. These cars are cool and all, but not 10.7 average mpg cool...

Like I said. I'm going to play hard ball with my tuner. I want the car tuned closer to 13.2 at WOT with 12.5-8 at peak TQ.

As far as part throttle tuning goes, there has to be some modifier table that you can tune on while going part throttle below a certain RPM range, say 2,500 that allows the car to run leaner. He is a good tuner no doubt. I just don't want to **** him off by saying his tune suck cuz my car is getting 10mpg's when I drive it like my mom drives her camry lol

He tunes with EFI Live if it matters, is there any specific questions I can ask or things to suggest that might get him thinking??

Thanks for all the input guys...
13.2@WOT isnt where LS motors generally make power.

You can command the car to run at a leaner AFR across the board ASSUMING the VE,maf, and injector tables were tuned correctly which they GENERALLY are not if you havent spent any time on the street logging and tuning. The only way to do this correctly and safely is tuning on the street.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

I knew this post was coming.
It's because he disabled your o2's and your running open loop.
As most have mentioned here, go to another shop and get your MPG back.
If you insist on sticking with FF then tell them to put the o2's back in and tune it for closed loop. If they can't figure out how to make the o2's work. Then again your working with the wrong shop.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greddy91
Maggied and Cammed and still able to pull 24 on the HWY... Tune Re-do!
+1. I get 24 with a maggie, headers, and bigger cam than him....??? I still wish I got the 26 I used to though.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
I knew this post was coming.
It's because he disabled your o2's and your running open loop.
As most have mentioned here, go to another shop and get your MPG back.
If you insist on sticking with FF then tell them to put the o2's back in and tune it for closed loop. If they can't figure out how to make the o2's work. Then again your working with the wrong shop.
im pretty sure he ment the post cat o2's
Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best mileage I've gotten was with a hole in my header about 1x2". Try that. lol
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

with your mods 10 mpg .....no way ..... I get 12 overall & 15 if I drive like I have a little sense, And I still get 21 on the highway......... Thats with a ProCharged
864 whp ___________ Time for some more better tunin I think
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

punishment, no it's his primary, he is a member on another board I am a member on and he posted that info there.

right now according to his post on the other board the car has no functioning o2's and is running open loop.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 06killerv
bigger cam= more air, more air = more fuel... i get 25mpg highway my buddies ls2 maggied gto gets 23 on the high way cuz he aint using the blower at cruise speed....that cam how ever is all the time...cammed cars are not ment for long trip daily's
Actually at lower rpms, bigger cams mean less air. The bigger the cam the less efficient the engine is in the lower rpm range. Which is the main reason for the MPG loss because it takes more throttle to move the car because it needs more rpms to make the same power.

Still you should get more than 10mpg. My V with a 224 cam still averaged upper teens.

Your tuner can try playing with the O2 switch points.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just left the shop. The 02 extenders were at fault. They're working now, and are functioning normally. We went on a 15 min drive while the tuner watched everything he said everything is dead on, nothing looks out of place. Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but once the 02's were up and going they were only correcting +/- ~5%, which he said was a good thing. I guess meaning the tune was so good the 02's are only needing to correct a very small amount. He said the MAF looked good during our trip and it was giving the proper amount of timing as well...

I'm gonna drive it for a week or so and see what happens. I was dead empty and put 4 gallons in today, did one WOT 2-4 pass and the rest city driving in 45mph zones. Fuel warning came on at 38 miles. So I figure just about 10mpg.....

Yikes.... Hopefully it gets better.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well hopefully the tuner can get it figured out if it doesn't get better. Definitely should be getting better mileage.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FRiCK
Just left the shop. The 02 extenders were at fault. They're working now, and are functioning normally. We went on a 15 min drive while the tuner watched everything he said everything is dead on, nothing looks out of place. Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but once the 02's were up and going they were only correcting +/- ~5%, which he said was a good thing.
So was he getting a different or no O2 reading on the tuner, before he figured the extenders were at fault?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guitar333
So was he getting a different or no O2 reading on the tuner, before he figured the extenders were at fault?
When ibtook the car to be tuned initially, the 02's were not working at all. So he tuned it in without then working. Then I got under the car today and was poking around and found that one of the extenders were messed up. I eliminated the extenders and the 02's are now on and reading normally.

He said he didn't have to change anything in the tune because everything was fine, after 15-20 min of data logging on the street.

Quick Reply: MPG's ridiculous after cam install....