Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Painted my grill

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlight housings are likely polycarbonate. It will absorb UV and generally slowly oxidize on the surface. You could either just clean it every few years, or you could try spraying clearcoat on them. Or get that 3M impact film to cover them.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the ideas guys..
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a bunch of PMs so ill just poast..

we used a single stage Utech Black Gloss which is paint and clear all in the same coat... scufffed the surface with 3m suffing pads then used Bullydog adhesion permoter then a pro paint gun to apply the paint.. then used a spray gun to apply 3 coats

If you dont have a spray gun i'd go with the PlastiDIP that all those guys rave about never used the plastidip but i dont see why you couldnt use it as a primer and then shoot a BLack Gloss generic rattle can paint over it to get the Gloss Look..

1. Raise the car
2. remove the plastic shield under the car
3. get up in there and remove all the push pin clips you can find around the lower grill and then push from the outside till its free of the retaining plastic tabs.. it will be tight so be gentle
4. unscrew all the philphs head screws and disasemble
5.remove the radiator shorud
6. remove all the push pin clips on the black plastic top of the main grille..
7. get your arm in there and remove the pins from the inside.. the pins on the bottom of the grill are inserted from under when the bumper is off.. i did not reinstall these..
once all the plastic pins are out, she will wiggle up and out

Reinstall of the lower grille is the hardest part .. MAKE SURE THE RIGHT SIDE IS UP.. its easy to install wrong+ its a tight sqeeze so take your time and push the bumper cover around if it gets in your way.. it will pop right back

tools...

i have used this thing in the past.. but i didnt have one handy soo 2 flat head screw drivers will do the job.. one will work to you just risk breaking the pins easier

Last edited by shadyLS6; 04-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Launching!

man the grill looks awsome, sooo i yanked mine out and a buddy who powdercoats has it right now and doing it in simigloss black...lol

Quick Reply: Painted my grill