Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bought my dream car in a '06 CTS-V, but FML (She's home!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrowdy
i like the shifter ****, were did you get it?
Ebay. The seller was REALLY helpful too getting me all the information needed to get the shifter modified with he correct thread.

I bought 2 ***** & the other is the black **** with gray stripes. I'll get some pictures of it mounted soon. I left it at my buddies place when installing the shifter.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dropped her off at the body shop for some final touches. There was some scratches on the bumper that weren't there before. Also, getting all the damn overspray off the interior passenger side windows & adjusting all the rubber seals around windows/lights that are bulging or misaligned.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bought my newest upgrade FRI & it arrived today:
Bel STi R Plus

Aka, world's greatest radar detector:
http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/...for-those.html
http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/...w-part-ii.html

Also, my 8th Day Creations, ebay fogs + hid, and LS2 trunk badge came in. It's xmas in Sept!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

She goes back to the body shop on Friday! Hood is frosted with some over spray that you can only see in certain light. Found some black over spray on the doors & they're replacing the driver window. Some how it's all chipped up. I'm also going to have them paint the front bumper, even if it's out of pocket, but I'm going to push them to get the insurance to cover it.

I added this recently too:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That turned out great; Congrats!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back from the shop . . . again. Got her on Tues. Been so busy & couldn't dare show my face while driving a Furd rental.

They repainted the hood. The estimator said he saw the "frosting" band on the edges too. I couldn't get them to paint the front bumper. They also added a new scratch to the driver door. It wasn't there before as I'm POSITIVE I would've seen it while getting in/out of the car. They said it was in the photos of receiving. WTF ever.

Went to install the clear ebay fogs I got & those are fucked up. Well one is. The amber bulb housing won't seat the bulb firmly. It just spins in the hole. When I first got it, the bulb was loose in the housing. I had to fish it out (almost started to look at separating the lens, but it came out easy enough thru the hole). The bulb socket wasn't seated right. I clicked it firmly & it clicked. The bulb stayed seated in the socket, but the socket won't seat in the housing. Hope they'll send me a new housing.

Oh, here's a pic with my buddy that bought his Vette the same day (check the plates):
Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow....I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Mine is in the garage as we speak for the same fkn exact thing and in fact its even the same damn color. I bought mine with hail damage though from some dude in knoxville. My dents were even bigger though. Interesting enough I bought two other cts cadillacs for parts and am building two out of the three cars I bought. The V will be out next week with all the mods. Lucky enough to have a fried with a garage and some dude collecting unemployment working on my car on the side. The grand bodywork total will be around 1500 pluss 500 for paint cause they do a great job there. If you needsome sort of parts i may have them
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kl2onik
If you needsome sort of parts i may have them
I need some interior parts:
- bezel around shifter
- bezel around lower dash (around ac controls/ashtray)
- both rear c pillar sail panels (silver)

My total body work cost was like $16,500, how you're getting it for $2500 for that much work . . . wow.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my 1st ticket last week. Wasn't even trying to speed either! I was just head in the clouds, didn't see I was in 30 zone & had just shifted to fourth at 44mph!

Got a $1000 radar detector sitting in a box doing me not one damn bit of good . . .
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LAYGO
Got my 1st ticket last week. Wasn't even trying to speed either! I was just head in the clouds, didn't see I was in 30 zone & had just shifted to fourth at 44mph!

Got a $1000 radar detector sitting in a box doing me not one damn bit of good . . .
The one time I left my radar detector off, is the one time I have been pulled over in the V. I was doing 80 in a 70 on 161 just north of Arlington. Good thing all I got was a warning. But nevere again will I drive without mine on.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the ebay clear fogs, HID ballasts for the fogs, and radar detector antenna all mounted underneath the bumper. The bumper removal was not hard at all, just a lot of those push pins. The kicker? My passenger side DRL bulb is already burnt out. I have LED replacements (for the front only for now). They came in while I had the bumper off, 30 miles from where I was working on the car! I love the look of the clear fogs/clear side markers! The only color left on the car is the red tail lights/red LS2 logo/V badges. All else is silver/clear/black!

Although, while removing all of that plastic liner stuff, I realized that somehow my driver side got destroyed by being folded into the tire. The plastic is all melted & exposing the lights/ecu! I need to get a replacement before hitting a big puddle.

Now to finish the interior wiring of the detector & my amp. I've had the 10" Kicker installed since June, but never wired it up! I have too many hobbies . . .

Bumper off, can you spot the antenna?

Ok, how about now?

From underneath with the bumper on (¼" clearance between ECU/fog HID ballast):

Ok, a lil blurry, but should be obvious:
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

AWWW YEAH! I finally got the Bel STi R+ radar detector installed. Such a huge relief to finally get that done. I'll snap some pics of it installed.

Notes:
- brain/connection hub mounted in easy access panel with door open
- speaker installed in the metal housing below steering wheel, padded & zip tied down
- radar antenna installed behind bumper, just right of left headlight, very end of metal bumper
- display module mounted right on mirror, will move this to the glass when I find a good method
- control module mounted perfectly to sunroof/map light panel
- concealed LED mounted right near gauge cluster, from regular sitting angle I can't see it, but I can see the reflection of it right dead center at the very bottom. Notice the reflection is right at the end of "BRAKE" when parking brake is on

I took about 6hrs over two days (rained part of day 1), but taking my sweet time. I powered it via the climate controls +12v. It took me awhile to get the t-tap to actually get power. I had to take a knife to expose copper before it'd actually power up.

Considered mounting speaker behind the climate controls, but figured it'd rattle around back there w/o a way to really lock it down. I mounted the speaker in the metal cavity right by your right knee. There is a metal plate there & on the backside is two braces that have a small opening that the speaker fit right in. It might reduce the speakers effectiveness, so I'll see how it works. I might rotate it so the speaker fires right towards the door. I wrapped it in some cloth & zip tied the cloth to the speaker & zip tied the bundle to the metal. Thus far, no rattles.

Hardest part of all this was getting the radar antenna thru the firewall. I tried the rubber grommet to the left of the steering wheel, but I could NOT find it on the engine bay side. I stuck it thru the steering shaft boot & found it immediately. I have a slight concern about rubbing the cable from the steering shaft, but I've got about 3' of cable I could pull either towards the bay or cabin to check for rubbing.

Now to check for sensitivity! My radar detector install test drive on my Impala took 45secs. I pulled out of my driveway & it started going off. It took longer to turn around & repark after spotting local popo driving thru my neighborhood.

I got a hit this morning on this install about a ½ mile from where I got my last ticket in Nov, but I couldn't see if they were actively patrolling. It also didn't trigger where my Qi45 triggered on a grocery store on my commute. It gave me a red light camera warning about a spot on my commute that I already knew about, but that's one of two red light cameras & didn't on the one closer to the house (I don't need the warning per se, just good to know it's working!).

The GPS antenna is sitting on the dash. It's got enough cable to go all the way around the car. I will work on putting on the rear deck, but almost afraid of the Kicker 10" is going to cause it to vibrate.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on getting everything hooked up. I hardwired my Bel STI driver and have it at the very top of my windshield. Cant see it from the outside at all, i drive on base with it, and no one ever notices. You cant see it from the back either. How is the speaker working. I have been trying to figure out the best place to put mine. I really need it, because I normally drive with my radio up. I was actually thinking about mounting it where my backseat Oh sh*t handle was. I had my wife hold it up while I looked through my back window and you wouldnt be able to see it from the outside, and of course I wont be able to see it when I m in the car because it will right behind my head. Just not sure if i want to put it there or not. Let me know how your speaker set up works, and maybe some pics.

thanks,
Jesse
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
Congrats on getting everything hooked up. I hardwired my Bel STI driver and have it at the very top of my windshield. Cant see it from the outside at all, i drive on base with it, and no one ever notices. You cant see it from the back either. How is the speaker working. I have been trying to figure out the best place to put mine. I really need it, because I normally drive with my radio up. I was actually thinking about mounting it where my backseat Oh sh*t handle was. I had my wife hold it up while I looked through my back window and you wouldnt be able to see it from the outside, and of course I wont be able to see it when I m in the car because it will right behind my head. Just not sure if i want to put it there or not. Let me know how your speaker set up works, and maybe some pics.

thanks,
Jesse
I think it'll work. I didn't do extensive testing, but I could hear it no problem. the only thing to make it louder would be to face it towards the drive door. I should've taken pics before I buttoned it up, but I was rushed this morning finishing it up as I said I'd be in the office after lunch.

Thinking about it though, you could probably mount it dead center in that metal cavity, between the two chambers.

Shitty picture, but the only one I could find of the area with the panels off:

If you see the orange loop of wires, to the left/right of that in that gap, there is a small "cavity" that perfectly fits the speaker. BUT, I'm thinking you can leave it right dead center there aimed up at the driver. There's a support bar just inside that big opening, so you have to weave the speaker in, then angle it into the cavity. If you could figure out a way to mount it there, it'd be more than enough.

It's only 6 screws holding the 2 panels on. 4 for the bottom panel (plus disconnect bulb wiring), just above the pedals, and 2 for the one covering that metal plate. The one screw though next to the console was a PITA. Not worst PITA ever, just a PITA to reach & angle & get some elbow grease on the screw to get it out, even with a ratcheting T handle screw driver!

I did have some rattling, but not from the speaker. It was from the display module hitting the mirror wire cover. Easy fix.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Picture from SAT night:

Pic of my '96 Impala w/the V:

New 5K Xenon headlights & 5k running lights with my 3.5k hid fogs:

The color is as close as you can get, IMO (I didn't try a bunch of different bulbs though). The running light is just noticably bluer than fogs/headlights:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's some images of the radar detector install:

Alert LED (turns red for alert, green is power):

Here is the display unit:

Here are the controls:
Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Considering all the storms today, I found these pictures of the storm from last year. Hope everyone made it out ok & fared better than I did last year. I was at work & underground parking today! (PHEW):

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, updated clean pics of her:
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Beltronics RX65 I believe it is. Thing saved my behind more times then I can count.

You running any jammers? I've been looking at that recently.
I also threw on some of that Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat... Wow... Puts that armorall crap they provide locally to SHAME
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by odthetruth
I have the Beltronics RX65 I believe it is. Thing saved my behind more times then I can count.

You running any jammers? I've been looking at that recently.
I also threw on some of that Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat... Wow... Puts that armorall crap they provide locally to SHAME
I love my STi-R+. I'm finally off all deferred adjudications for my tickets. PHEW!

The STi-R+ has a built in detector (or diffusor?), but I'm not running anything else . . . YET. I just don't know where to mount it all up AND I believe there was a law passed recently making jammers/diffusors/etc illegal in TX. We'll see. I had diffusors w/my Qi45 on my Impala & it saved me twice with laser!

I love the Black Tire Coat, even went & bought a 2nd can while it was on sale. I'm waiting for it to fade to REALLY clean my tires & re-apply. I just did soap & water last time & had some peeling because of the additive coming out (the stuff that makes the tire brown).

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car in a '06 CTS-V, but FML (She's home!)