Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Starting to think about a C5 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011 | 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I would go c6 over c5... if you could afford it.
Buying a house otherwise I'd consider it. Would like to stay $20-21k and less.
Old 04-26-2011 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i recall the 335i is your old mans, sell the v and stang and buy a c6 z06.
Old 04-26-2011 | 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Stang is his as well. Well . . . kind of both of ours. I bought it, rebuilt it, and then wanted to sell it for the V, but instead he took over the payments.

335i = His daily
CTS-v = My daily
Mustang = Community fun
Old 04-26-2011 | 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My cars for sale now. I'm thinking about jumping ship myself. Just trying to figure out why I wouldn't like the vette as a DD... The vette would be stock other than a A&A V3 si trim on ~8lbs with OBX longtubes an off road X, lowered an inch. 550rw in a 3,000lb car!? I'm thinking I'm gonna do it... Plus I'll get better gas mileage. Lol
Old 04-27-2011 | 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I didn't have a kid I would still be in a C5 for sure.
Old 04-27-2011 | 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

damnit after reading this i'm wishing i wouldve got a z06 instead of my V lol...looks like the slobra might be for sale soon!
Old 04-27-2011 | 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

What have I done . . . ? Lol.

One of the things I'd certainly miss about the CTS-V is surprise factor of hearing a 4-door sedan that sounds so mean. I certainly get a lot of double takes on the highway.

What to do what to do . . .
Old 04-27-2011 | 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Before I bought my V it was between it and a c5 z06. The one thing that brought me to the V side is the fact of 4 doors and a back seat. I feel id have just as much fun in the V as if I did a z06 but really having only one car, I needed a little bit of a utility factor, i.e trunk and back seat.

In the end, the V fit the bill. I still love the z06s. But theres nothing like getting the V sideways hard on the gas with 4 of your closest friends in the car.
Old 04-28-2011 | 03:21 AM
Teching In

Default Hang on a minute....

I've owned 3 Vettes and I loved all of them-just got rid of a modded '02 Zo6. Lets see where we should start....I'd say you can get a nice C5 for 20K but if you'll spend a little time on the CorvetteForum before you buy you'll see what pieces of **** those cars are.They have more issues than National Geographic:

All known very common problems:
1. Brake module for ABS (EBCM-send to absfixer.com)
2. Steering column lock (only fixable on automatics)
3. Torque tube bushing failure (buy BMW bushings)
4. Output shaft failure (mucho dinero)
5. Dimmed display on climate control (resolder poor connections)
6. Water leaks-especially on FRC/Zo6 (kill yourself)
7. Cracked reveal moldings on FRC/Zo6 (try to find these)
8. Cheapest leather money can buy (cracks & wears very fast)
9. Harmonic balancer backing off (good luck)
10. Valve spring failure (never good)
11. Worst cupholder (singular) on the planet-maybe 1.25 inches deep.
12. Worst center console/cubbyhole award winner (very shallow and no door pockets to boot)
13. Terrible radio.
14. Terrible headlights
15. Electrical gremlins due to poor grounding (plastic car)
16. Rattling roof on coupe (adjust top latches)
17. Clutch design is total crap- it does not like spinning that propshaft at engine speed because the tranny is in the back. This causes all sorts of clutch maladies and has caused several suicides (almost mine)

There are of course other problems and then the usual maintenence of the car so...

The C6 has remedied alot of these problems and can be had for mid 20's-if your deadset on a plastic 2 seater. The hatchback is infinitely more usuable than the FRC/Zo6 btw and being able to take the roof off is great-I've owned both and daily drove Vettes for 9yrs. Good luck....MB
Old 04-28-2011 | 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up C5 vette

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
The FRC's have came with Z51 suspension option. only difference is the sway bars, not that big of a deal. Brakes are identical other than the ZO6 calipers are painted red. The trans in the FRC is the mn6 and the ZO6 has the m12. Thats why you get better mileage. The only difference in the motor is the cam and heads (which you can pick up for about 500 bucks). So if you were looking at a cam already its pointless. Only suggestion I'd make is to get an LS6 intake manifold or better. You're saving about 4-5 grand over the ZO6 plus insurance.
GhettoTy is correct about the insurance factor..I bought a 99 frc. 5 ys. ago and it has been awesome....Lots of upgrades of course....It ran terrific till a tunner got his hands on it..the motor locked up 1 block from my house...Anyway, the seats are very comfortable, but nothing like the ride u are getting on the V. You can go into my PROFILE and scroll down to SHOW ALL ALBUMS and then u will be able to see my pics and all info....A shame u are so far away...I have a new forged 383 built by HKE in Houston to drop in with my Cartek heads and fast intake etc. but my health is stopping me...If u get on the corvette forum u will find a lot of vettes for sale....If u have any questions PM me..seeya GREG O.

LS-1 99FRC[ worlds first N/A stock LS-1 to go 10's ]

Last edited by GREG O.; 04-28-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2011 | 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I'm still debating on what to do hehe. You bring up a good point in that I've seen more and more C6's in the mid 20's range. They're definitely getting more affordable than I previously thought. I might just hold off a bit and pick one of those up.

Or I might just suck it up, fix the rear, and see how much power I can squeeze for the Caddy. I'd be happy with 500whp. The 4-door factor still is a big bonus for me. I don't need it, but its definitely nice to have for those rare occasions.

Quick Reply: Starting to think about a C5 . . .