Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom short shifter $70 >

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

UPDATE:
Stock shifters are in and I will be modding them Thursday night (7Jul) and they will ship out Friday (8Jul).

there will be three not accounted for. I will be making 2 of them with shorter stalk and the other stock height. If your interested let me know.
Old 07-07-2011 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
UPDATE:
Stock shifters are in and I will be modding them Thursday night (7Jul) and they will ship out Friday (8Jul).

there will be three not accounted for. I will be making 2 of them with shorter stalk and the other stock height. If your interested let me know.
Can't wait! ***** came in (I ordered both!) . . . now all I need is . . . A CAR!
Old 07-07-2011 | 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

I hope that thread you game me was the right one b/c it is really fat. did you want me to keep the head on the bolt and weld it or did you want me to cut it off and weld just the thread part?

Originally Posted by LAYGO
Can't wait! ***** came in (I ordered both!) . . . now all I need is . . . A CAR!
Old 07-07-2011 | 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm... i have a stock modded shifter in my car right now that maxpennmatt made for me awhile back. Its been shortened an inch (maybe a little more) and the welding was done on the bottom for the short throw. Its setup for the factory **** at this time which i'm considering changing so i can have some other **** options. I see others using the 03/04 cobra **** which i've thought would be a good upgrade since i bought the car but i just haven't worried about it until now.

Now... The problem i have is the handle is loose and likes to twist and turn and if i pull it straight up, i can pull it right off the shifter. Is there any way to fix that? How are you keeping yours held in place after cutting it down? Id like to pull this one out and play with it to see if i can fix it somehow and maybe go ahead and cut and weld the threaded section on it so i can run the cobra ****.

I have an extra stock shifter in my garage i intend to mess with too. I want to try to make it as short as absolutely possible both handle wise and throw wise and since its a spare, if i mess it up, its not a big deal.

Can you PM a list of things you use when modifying these so i can go pick some things up from the hardware store without having to remove mine first to measure and figure it all out for myself? lol It would just save me some time if you dont mind. I just want to be sure i pick up the right stuff in the right size. I have access to a welder.
Old 07-07-2011 | 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope that thread you game me was the right one b/c it is really fat. did you want me to keep the head on the bolt and weld it or did you want me to cut it off and weld just the thread part?
Whatever is easiest. It's not visible, right?

The bottom side of these ***** have fat holes in them, so it should!
Old 07-07-2011 | 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, i believe that is the right thread size. My 03 cobra had a pro5.0 with stock **** and i remember the thread being fat on it.
Old 07-07-2011 | 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Yeah, i believe that is the right thread size. My 03 cobra had a pro5.0 with stock **** and i remember the thread being fat on it.
Personally speaking, I wouldn't be caught dead using Ford parts on my GM ride! I'm not using the Cobra shifter & am using an aftermarket **** I found on ebay & I'm not sure if it's the same thread as that ****. They came in the other night & look pretty slick. See my post "Custom Shifter *****".
Old 07-07-2011 | 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll have to check it out. I think I may have seen it already. The one I remember seeing and liking was an unmarked **** with a black pearl finish. Looked real nice!

The cobra **** is just black leather with the shift pattern on it. No ford racing logos or anything. Lol besides... A cobra **** would prob make the V faster! Haha
Old 07-07-2011 | 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Neversatisfied: I guess I will help you. LOL I'll PM you in a bit with instructions and pics of how I keep the top section on. I just started doing with the new ones but I've done them with the old ones that I have cores on.

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Hmm... i have a stock modded shifter in my car right now that maxpennmatt made for me awhile back. Its been shortened an inch (maybe a little more) and the welding was done on the bottom for the short throw. Its setup for the factory **** at this time which i'm considering changing so i can have some other **** options. I see others using the 03/04 cobra **** which i've thought would be a good upgrade since i bought the car but i just haven't worried about it until now.

Now... The problem i have is the handle is loose and likes to twist and turn and if i pull it straight up, i can pull it right off the shifter. Is there any way to fix that? How are you keeping yours held in place after cutting it down? Id like to pull this one out and play with it to see if i can fix it somehow and maybe go ahead and cut and weld the threaded section on it so i can run the cobra ****.

I have an extra stock shifter in my garage i intend to mess with too. I want to try to make it as short as absolutely possible both handle wise and throw wise and since its a spare, if i mess it up, its not a big deal.

Can you PM a list of things you use when modifying these so i can go pick some things up from the hardware store without having to remove mine first to measure and figure it all out for myself? lol It would just save me some time if you dont mind. I just want to be sure i pick up the right stuff in the right size. I have access to a welder.
Old 07-07-2011 | 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

UPDATE:

I have finished making 6 shifters which 3 of them are spoken for. I will ship LAYGO's, BUKSING's and 06blackonblackctsv's shifters out tomorrow and you should get shipping info via Paypal. It will be shipped via USPS 2-3 day priority.

What I have left:

2 X modded shifters stock height and stock **** ($120 each shipped)
1 X modded shifter, 1" shorter height with GT500 **** ($180 shipped)

And I still give back $30 if you return your unmolested one back to me.

Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by azn2dmax; 07-07-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2011 | 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey everybody I got my hands on a couple of shifters and will be modifying them. You have all seen the mod... its just a pipe welded to the bottom of the shaft.
1) DrSpeed / New short throw - stock height / PAID (12May) / SHIPPED (12May)
So I finally installed the shifter! Man, if I knew what I know now going into it, I could have knocked it out in 45 minutes. It took me 1.5 hours instead.

Great job on the shifter man.

PM me your address so I can finally send my core back!
Old 07-11-2011 | 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Neversatisfied: I guess I will help you. LOL I'll PM you in a bit with instructions and pics of how I keep the top section on. I just started doing with the new ones but I've done them with the old ones that I have cores on.
Lol! Thanks man! My shifter isn't bad. I'd just like to give modding my own a shot. Ill use the same idea on the bottom that you use and then cut the top section as much as i can to make it as short as possible. But yeah, shoot me some instructions when u get a chance so i don't fu*k it up... lol

Old 07-11-2011 | 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
So I finally installed the shifter! Man, if I knew what I know now going into it, I could have knocked it out in 45 minutes. It took me 1.5 hours instead.
So share!
Old 07-11-2011 | 07:57 AM
Teching In

Hi, new member here and 1st post!

I would like one of your short shifters with the 1" shorter height. I may want the one that has the gt500 ****, do you have a link or photo to the exact ****?

Trying to decide between the gt500 **** or a v2 suede ****.
Old 07-11-2011 | 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Easy install instructions. I also posted it in my origianl post #1.

http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...9SuedeKnob.htm

Originally Posted by LAYGO
So share!
Old 07-11-2011 | 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

whazard,

Welcome to the "club"!!!!

If you look on post #1 it has what I have in stock. Unfortunately I only have stock height with stock **** attachments or I have the GT500 one 1" shorter ready to go. Prices are listed also. I might not have any whort shorter stalk ones for a while b/c it seems like people are keeping their cores and my supplier is out of stiock. So the best bet would be to buy one of the ones I have on stock. Let me know what you want to do.

Originally Posted by whazard
Hi, new member here and 1st post!

I would like one of your short shifters with the 1" shorter height. I may want the one that has the gt500 ****, do you have a link or photo to the exact ****?

Trying to decide between the gt500 **** or a v2 suede ****.
Old 07-11-2011 | 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

So do you like it? Are you a married man yet? Still working on the pics for the spare jack and tub. I dont have any spare right now b/c I'm getting it powdercoated but once I have it I can shoot you a pic of the unit semi installed.

Originally Posted by DrSpeed

Great job on the shifter man.

PM me your address so I can finally send my core back!
Old 07-11-2011 | 08:31 AM
Teching In

whazard,

Welcome to the "club"!!!!

If you look on post #1 it has what I have in stock. Unfortunately I only have stock height with stock **** attachments or I have the GT500 one 1" shorter ready to go. Prices are listed also. Let me know what you want to do.
I'll take the gt500 1" shorter one. I'll pm you my paypal email.
Old 07-11-2011 | 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

pics of GT500 **** installed

I painted my shift pattern black...

Old 07-11-2011 | 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

PM sent and Paypal invoice sent. I can have this shipped out today via USPS 2-3 day priority if I receive cleared payment.

Originally Posted by whazard
I'll take the gt500 1" shorter one. I'll pm you my paypal email.

Last edited by azn2dmax; 07-11-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom short shifter $70 >