Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V Coilovers - Pictures and Sales Thread Link

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
I have gone through maybe 50 sets of track tires. For those that can truly handle some use on the street, I suggest the following -

If 10k miles is enough, and you don't mind road noise, the Toyo R888
If you want 15-20k miles, the Bridgestone RE-11 can't be beat in my book. Haven't run Yokohamas though.

Just my 2 cents. RE-11s going on mine as I type.
WOW 50 sets
have you tried R6's or BFG R1's or Nitto NT01's?
any opinion of those?

Due to the weight of the V, not all tires will be great for the track
I'm looking for track only tires as I do have an extra set of OEM rims.
.....I'll probably bolt them nite before track day then drive 90mins to track
Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Yes on the R6s. I actually preferred Dunlop's slicks. I can't imagine driving 180mi round trip on them with a track day in the middle though. No way I'd do that.

No on the BFGs and a big yes on the Nittos. I felt that the Nittos were similar to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in that they have a pressure/temp that they feel good, but they fluctuate dramatically once they get hot. They get greasy and don't give too much of a notice before sliding out.

I'm really expecting the RE-11s to be wonderful. I had them on an Audi S4 car on street and track. They did really well, and that car weighs more than the V.

I should be clear though in saying that 90% of my tire knowledge is on Porsche 911s, Caymans, Boxsters, and even two Panameras (though they were just regular Z rated tires). I have no experience with tires on the V at the track.

If I were doing what you said (driving 180 mins, expecting 4-5 track days out of them too) I'd go R888 from all that I know. If you are expecting up to 10 track days, I'd go RE-11.

And yes. I likely have over 300 track days under my belt. That could be pretty low, actually. Dunlop makes amazing slicks, as does Michelin.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you compare on track grip of R888 vs RE-11 ?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

RE-11, at the limit and when hot, will be a bit of a howler. The R888 has a more progressive release and is better with extreme camber (I ran -2.5). Other than slicks, I haven't felt a better tire than R888s... but again, with good camber. The RE-11 is more of a real, useable street tire that works insanely well on the track... like it has two personalities.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
RE-11, at the limit and when hot, will be a bit of a howler. The R888 has a more progressive release and is better with extreme camber (I ran -2.5). Other than slicks, I haven't felt a better tire than R888s... but again, with good camber. The RE-11 is more of a real, useable street tire that works insanely well on the track... like it has two personalities.
I have a bit of experience with the R888s (on track and street) and I agree with the above statement that they are fricking awesome on the track with the correct amount of negative camber.

I also drove my last set of R888s on the street (and did 2 track days with them) and they only lasted about 6000 miles. That isn't very much for $1300 worth of tires, but I knew what I was getting into and I wanted to do the experiment. They weren't bad on the street either, except for being loud on certain pavement at highway speeds.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Fully agreed with your agreement.

They do far better in the rain than PS Cups too, which is shocking, considering the appearance of the tread (trenches don't come all the way out). I am of the belief that these tires are the best designed for negative camber. They have a very strong inside shoulder.

Also though, the RE-11s have asymmetrical wall designs, so the outer wall is stronger against folding under, and the inside wall is kept from flopping out. Very good technology for a tire that truly can be a street tire, unlike the R888, which is the next step in the spectrum towards track tire.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So from a pure track experience moving from R888's to RE-11 is a step down?

I have R888's as a drive to the track and run tire, but have not been really happy with them, and looking for alternatives.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

It is on a 911, yes. But I was dealing with 547hp and the main thing was that, with my large amount of camber, I could get onto the throttle earlier. Also, again with camber, it seemed that the nose would stay tucked (big thing when you don't have any weight over the front wheels) at higher speeds with the R888s.

Also, I had regular air in the RE-11s and nitrogen in the R888s. I assume that the Toyos are significantly more gummy too, because of the tread life.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The R-888 is an R-compound, the RE-11 is not. While there are a number of "extreme performance summer tires" that are very good on track, I don't think any of them will match the lap times of even a relatively non-sticky R-compound like the R-888.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Fully agree.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Coilovers - Pictures and Sales Thread Link