Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

more issues with new Maggie build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more issues with new Maggie build

So I bring the V to the tuner at 8 AM, soon as the doors open. Yesterday she's bucking like a bronco, and I get one of those "complete shut down, protective codes " Anyway, he immediatiately finds a loose connection between the air cleaner and the tube to the Maggie. New hose clamps, tighten it right up, go for a test drive. Now the car completley shuts down as soon as I give it any gas, getting Code 2101 in computer. Repeat process for 4 hours, checking everything, he even drives the car with the computer plugged in for test data. Nothing out of whack electronically! This wonderful gentelman gives me a ride home (60 miles), states "I WILL find the problem! He recalls one other situation in which the Maggie was pulling harder than the throttle body could keep up with, just shut everything down. Plan looks to be to try a throttle body from a GMC truck, which has a stronger spring. Please no stinger missles or unsolicited psychological profiling. Has ANYONE experienced or heard of this unusual problem before?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't had enough experience on the CTS-Vs to know. Ran into a VERY similar issue with a TPI corvette and it was trouble with the MAF sensor.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of the TB causing that problem. I had a MAP sensor problem in my old supercharged 5.0 whenever it got into boost it would cut out and not build any boost.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last car was a 426 Hemi with pro-charger 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8.
Most of the time when you go WOT the car would go into limp mode for throttle body error. Was on the freeway going to play with a Viper and the car goes into limp mode.
Worst day of my life
I replaced the throttle body and it fixed the problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Default helpful replies!

Thanks guys, sounds like we might see progress yet!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had this problem also.. i had put a ls2 TB on my maggie at install and kept getting the limp mode code..i replaced the TB with a ported one and it solved the problem..

another thing to check is the iat wires where they jump from the maf to the sensor in the maggie.

and do a TB relearn.. ( hold the gas pedal to the floor, turn the car over(it wont start)turn the key back off and let go of the pedal.. start as normal)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i had this problem also.. i had put a ls2 TB on my maggie at install and kept getting the limp mode code..i replaced the TB with a ported one and it solved the problem..

another thing to check is the iat wires where they jump from the maf to the sensor in the maggie.

and do a TB relearn.. ( hold the gas pedal to the floor, turn the car over(it wont start)turn the key back off and let go of the pedal.. start as normal)
If you are talking about putting a 90mm LS2 ETC on a 04/05 which came with a 78mm throttle, you have to change the ETC Scalar values in the ECM to run correctly.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

He needs to re-adjust the airflow thresholds in the diagnostics portion of the tune. this will fix the problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
If you are talking about putting a 90mm LS2 ETC on a 04/05 which came with a 78mm throttle, you have to change the ETC Scalar values in the ECM to run correctly.
it was after the tune.. something in the TB actuator didnt like me
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck, and post up some vids when your done...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

it was after the tune.. something in the TB actuator didnt like me
I have seen far too many put the improper values for ETC scalar on HPTuners forums for 90mm throttles... it may be possible... considering at LEAST half of the 90mm ETC tunes Ive seen on there, had the incorrect values. Just saying.
Not saying it wasn't the throttle itself, that is a possibility, just a far less of one.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vmapper
I have seen far too many put the improper values for ETC scalar on HPTuners forums for 90mm throttles... it may be possible... considering at LEAST half of the 90mm ETC tunes Ive seen on there, had the incorrect values. Just saying.
Not saying it wasn't the throttle itself, that is a possibility, just a far less of one.
I tried the "correct" values and the V wanted to die at every light. Put back in the stock values and it runs just fine. I'm not saying this is the "correct" way of tuning for a 90mm TB but it worked for me and has for others. Believe me I've searched my nards off.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Default thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
I tried the "correct" values and the V wanted to die at every light. Put back in the stock values and it runs just fine. I'm not saying this is the "correct" way of tuning for a 90mm TB but it worked for me and has for others. Believe me I've searched my nards off.
couldn't help eyeballying your numbers-you're gettin THAT hp with no supercharger? What am I missing here??
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

sorry, just noticed old Mr 122. Thats what I STARTED OUT WANTING! Too much BS in my neck of the woods! No blasted diffs, huh?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
You need to have the Scalar in as a proper value period. It tells the ECM the Physical SIZE of the throttle.
This value is used to convert from desired Effective Area (mm2) to desired ETC percent for the ECM.

think of it as STEPS.
Every PERCENT the throttle moves, the computer THINKS its only changing x amount of air (calculated off of a 78mm area - stock Scalar value), when in fact its much more air (larger throttle area)... see the problem? Throughout every part throttle... its error....
you will see this right to WOT. Of course, you probably burnt in that error with PE and timing adjustments.

I bet you it dies because your LTITs and STITs have adjusted accordingly to keep the car running on commanded idle... turn them off or reset them... change the Scalar to the Proper value, and it may run fine right from the get go, if your RAF and VE are good.
Then work from there... re tune your Base Running Airflow.. and perhaps your VE as well

Not doing so, 'to make the car run' leaves out a crisper response, and little power loss because every throttle position it Thinks you are running a 78mm More air is coming in, so trims have to work hard... its delayed time... its not ideal and when really dialed in, you notice, especially on these cars. And you really notice when you run into a dead battery and clear the trims.

If you understand what the ECM is doing with the values, and what it does to control the engine, you realize, just because its 'running fine' doesn't mean its correct and utilizing those mods you threw on.
Hope that makes sense...

Last edited by vmapper; 05-26-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Never heard of the TB causing that problem. I had a MAP sensor problem in my old supercharged 5.0 whenever it got into boost it would cut out and not build any boost.

So here it is: original installer apparently "installed wiring harness incorrectly." This caused wires to rub on shaft, short out and shut down the operation via the MAF sensor. Cost=$200 labor. That's 3 errors blamed on original installer at about $800 total (so far, anyway). Lesson=pick the Magnuson authorized dealer, pay him his mark up (couple grand in this case) and be on my way. Bring it back to him if things don't work right. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

the old saying, you get what you pay for kinda fits here, glad you got it figured out
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hear your car is running great now and pulls hard.. once i get my belt slip issue resolved and meth kit in we should run em.. only thing different on our setups is you have the overdrive pullie where im just running a 2.6 jack shaft pullie..and ill have meth soon..other than that its ls6 vs ls2 with blowers.. should be fun
Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

i hear your car is running great now and pulls hard.. once i get my belt slip issue resolved and meth kit in we should run em.. only thing different on our setups is you have the overdrive pullie where im just running a 2.6 jack shaft pullie..and ill have meth soon..other than that its ls6 vs ls2 with blowers.. should be fun
AS soon as you know who gets his mods together, we could have 3! Hows your gas mileage? I got something wrong, only averaging 10 mgp, not driving too crazy either!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I get a prize since it was MAF related?

Quick Reply: more issues with new Maggie build