Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H&R's lowered rear too much ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

404 - too low not found

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony - Fack me, that was funny ... thanks for the laugh!

Edmund - Any ideas on what we could use for a "spacer" under the rear spring? I'm thinking hockey puck, but larger diameter and a little thinner. I can't come up with what exactly that would be though...

As for cutting, which is still a possibility (unfortunately), thanks for trying clear up which end to cut from Mighty Mouse. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a dummy and I need to confirm which end is the "open end".
Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldn't worry about having to get a spacer. it doesn't look all that close any how. rolling your fenders with the machine i pictured in your other thread should certainly do the trick, or at least would be my first step even before wheel purchase/fitment. many shops carry them now with commercial heat guns.

good luck... 8)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Tony, not around here they don't. Stupid small town. Spent all day going to body shops and ONE guy out of about 10 shops seemed confident in doing the work. Unfortunately, he doesn't have/use that tool. Duct tape and a hammer is what he said he's comfortable using. Hmmm...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

one end is ground flat and one end is an open coil. it will be very obvious once in your hands
Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Like I said previously. 6" X 6" square sheet of 3/8" or thicker rubber that's Shore A 50 or harder. Cut the sheet to a shape which fits UNDER the stock spring isolator pad. That's my preliminary idea. Haven't tried it myself yet, but cant really think of a reason why it WOULDN'T work..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3518
Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i see spring boosters in about every random auto parts store
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i remember using the little ghetto clamps to compress the spring with my first car. lowered it about 2 inches, but jesus christ every bump i hit i was cringing for one to pop and BAM, 3 wheel motion, dre status.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i see spring boosters in about every random auto parts store
May also work. Just need to find one that matches the geometry of the rear spring, and also offers the right amount of height increase. There's a lot of ways to raise the back end.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I saw a bunch of those spring boosters while I was out today. The rubber coil style one is too thick and would raise it too much. The "shackles" just don't seem safe to me. I tried another type they had, but to no avail. I'm pretty confident that stock springs with a coil or less cut off will ride much better than springs with these "boosters" installed on 'em anyway.
Remember guys, I'm not only looking to raise the rear because of the rubbing issues. I'm also not happy with the aesthetics. The "reverse rake" that these springs produced isn't what I want, so even beyond functional reasons, I want the rear to come up a half inch for looks too.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Could just go extra low in the front to reverse the rake.. Haha. Cut half a coil off the front H&R's Get extra low.........
Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

No thanks Edmund. lol I wanna keep the car half functional for daily city driving.
Spoke with Ryan at H&R today. He pulled 3 sets of springs out of their bin and tested them. Said they're doing exactly what they're supposed to, so he doesn't understand how I managed to get a nearly 2" drop in the back. He said he's going to keep looking into it, but that no design revisions have been made since 2004 when they started making these springs.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wes8398
No thanks Edmund. lol I wanna keep the car half functional for daily city driving.
Spoke with Ryan at H&R today. He pulled 3 sets of springs out of their bin and tested them. Said they're doing exactly what they're supposed to, so he doesn't understand how I managed to get a nearly 2" drop in the back. He said he's going to keep looking into it, but that no design revisions have been made since 2004 when they started making these springs.

Interesting.. I'm curious to hear what other feedback they give. I wonder how exactly they're calculating the amount of drop that the springs are "supposed" to provide. Or what their design criteria and methodology are for creating the lowering springs. There has to be some "X" factor that isn't being accounted for in their design, since their testing (whatever that may be) is yielding predicable, repeatable results, while at the same time, you, me, and others also have predictable, repeatable results, but they're not the same as those observed by H&R themselves...

Also, if the guy who you're in contact with, wants to speak to other people to either verify or get more information on this, I'd be more than happy to weigh in, and can forward my contact info through PM if so.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

I'll definitely post back with any happenings. I did mention to the fella that I could easily get a hand full or moreof people to verify the same findings.
He made an attempt to blame the shock spacers, but once I explained that the spacers do not affect the static ride height, he seemed to accept that.
I'd love to know what this missing x factor is as well. Not sure we'll ever know though.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I took a good look at the springs, and I can't tell which end it is that's "open". They both look 'closed' to me, as neither end would 'continue on into space' like 'open ends' have been described to me. lol
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For anyone considering coil spacers, belltech makes them to correct the "chevy lean"

http://www.google.com/search?q=bellt...w=1024&bih=583
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Just installed my H&R Springs with MM Spacers AND....it also lowered my car 2 full inches! I don't have the pictures off the camera yet but it's definetly too low for comfort for me. Something has definetly changed in how these springs are made compared to those who installed sets in the years prior. will post up pics this evening.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I don't necessarily buy that anything's changed with the design/mfg of the springs. From what I've seen H&R's have always had that much drop on the V's. The funny thing that I did notice however, is that until recently (the past year and a half maybe) it didn't seem like anyone ever bothered to even question or check the amount of drop that the springs were really giving compared to what the advertised amount was.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Has anyone tried cutting down the MM spacers?

In theory, if the shock is mounted 1" into the trunk, and if you cut out 1/2" of those spacers, then it should bring the shock down 1/2" closer to its original position. Thus, giving you 1/2" back in height.

It doesnt seem like the cars without MM spacers sit too low...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do cars without the spacers actually get lower?

I bought my car with H&R springs already installed, but no spacers. The rear is higher than the front, which I don't mind. Would I be better off putting some stock springs back in the rear to regain my ride quality?

Quick Reply: H&R's lowered rear too much ...