Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H&R's lowered rear too much ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other way around. I havent installed my spacers yet but depending on the angle it actually sit very high in the rear as the suspension tried to level out. Once I have the spacers in I would think it would sit at the lower position regularly and try and hold that with the autoleveling.

I could be dead wrong.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn
Has anyone tried cutting down the MM spacers?

In theory, if the shock is mounted 1" into the trunk, and if you cut out 1/2" of those spacers, then it should bring the shock down 1/2" closer to its original position. Thus, giving you 1/2" back in height.

It doesnt seem like the cars without MM spacers sit too low...
This has been covered about 1342143 times in 343 different H&R/MM threads. The shock geometry is NOT the primary factor in what determines the "at rest" suspension height of the car. Therefore, if you want to most effectively adjust suspension height, you do it based on the SPRING. Also, there are various swing radii involved in the travel of the suspension, and a .5" height change at the strut location, does not directly translate to a .5" height change at the wheel.

Cars with H&R springs WITHOUT MM spacers suffer from the shocks auto-leveling to what they interpret as sag due to an over loaded trunk/back seat. They raise the back end of the car up after it has been driven around for the appropriate distance. After the car is parked, the shocks eventually settle back to where they were before hand. Depending on when (relative to driving) the car is observed, a car with H&R springs ONLY may be perceived as not being as low in the rear. Additionally, getting rid of the MM spacers will guarantee that you have super shitty ride quality from the rear shocks always trying to pump themselves up while you drive around.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Do cars without the spacers actually get lower?

I bought my car with H&R springs already installed, but no spacers. The rear is higher than the front, which I don't mind. Would I be better off putting some stock springs back in the rear to regain my ride quality?
can you post a pic or even better yet the measurements from the ground to the fender well? That would help determine what change the MM spacers has when the car it sitting still.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Do cars without the spacers actually get lower?

Not really...because the rear has load levelers they will try to go back to a the "programmed" height of the shocks. You will still get a slightly lower look, but it will be nothing like with the spacers.

I bought my car with H&R springs already installed, but no spacers. The rear is higher than the front, which I don't mind. Would I be better off putting some stock springs back in the rear to regain my ride quality?

the ride quality will be better with the spacers and your H&Rs. But it not as good as the stock springs. so, either way with spacers or stock springs, your ride comfort will improve.
see red...if you need stock springs, let me know. i got a set in my attic.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I already ordered spacers. Should fix my bouncy ride.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398
Well, I took a good look at the springs, and I can't tell which end it is that's "open". They both look 'closed' to me, as neither end would 'continue on into space' like 'open ends' have been described to me. lol
Anyone?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

BEFORE:

AFTER: (H&R's w/ MM Spacers)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

And if you dont have rear spacers the rear will sometimes got o stock highet or close to it while the front stays low.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was just cruising the new posts and noticed that the f-body guys were doing what they call the "heater hose" mod to the rear springs, which i believe is slipping some heater hose over the end of a spring to give another 1/8th inch of clearance. That paired with some coil spring isolators may give you some more room.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

It has leveled out a little bit since the install, they are almost even all around now BUT it was still more of a drop than advertised, that is my only real issue. It's just too close for comfort but so far no rubbing.

EDIT: it was the rear driver wheel where it was the lowest, and still is compared to the other 3 corners. I will check my measurements again to tonight.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Well, I took a good look at the springs, and I can't tell which end it is that's "open". They both look 'closed' to me, as neither end would 'continue on into space' like 'open ends' have been described to me. lol
wes, the end in the top of the picture is the closed end, as you see if you cut that end it will not be as small as it needs to be to mount correctly.

the bottom section which is all the same diameter is the end you want to cut just soften the edge good with a grinder before reinstalling.

camn v6 car looks great, nice color!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Mightymouse, thanks for the clarification. Gonna start hackin' and cuttin' tonight. And I agree, camminv6, that's one hot lookin V.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Wes, here are the measurements after a few days of riding around town. The measurements were all taken first thing in the AM with cold tires.

Driver Front - Before - 27 1/4" - After - 25 7/8"
Pass Front - Before - 27 1/2" - After - 25 7/8"

Driver Rear - Before - 27 7/8" - After - 25 6/8" (2 1/8" drop here)
Pass Rear - Before - 27 5/8" - After - 26 1/8" (only 1.5" drop here)

Overall the car sits pretty even, the only place that bothers me is the Driver Rear, that 3/8" difference is the problem I have. Might see if I can adjust the MM spacer any to fix that.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

one thing for certain, nothing different about the mm stuff from left to right, soo = springs
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
one thing for certain, nothing different about the mm stuff from left to right, soo = springs
so, if I swapped the two rear springs in theory I should see those numbers flip flop? I have no problems with your spacers, I just want the car to sit the same on both sides. I don't have any rubbing issues, all I want is for both sides to be equal or at least closer than 1/2".
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I cut my stock springs this afternoon and swapped 'em in place of the h&r's. For those of you saying that the MM spacers were what was making me "too low", can you explain how these 'new' springs now have my rear fenders a 1/2 inch higher with spacers still installed? After cut spring install and a drive around to seat them, my rear fenders are now between 26 3/8" and 26 1/2" off the floor with the cut springs and MM spacers. Half an hour prior, with the H&R's and MM's, my rear fenders were 25 7/8" off the floor.

With cut OEM springs and MM's installed:

What I took off the OEM springs:

Fender measurements were all taken with the OEM wheels and 245/45-18 Toyo Observe Garit winter tires on them. For the last week and a half or so I've been driving around with my summer 'shoes' on the front, and my winter (oem) 'shoes' on the back because of the fitment issues with the LC's (Linea Corse's). As much as I hated to do it, I didn't want to wear down the winter tires any more than I had to. This 80+ degree weather is far from ideal for a winter tire in terms of longevity. lol
So, I didn't take the pics til after I put the LC's back on the back, so I could compare pictures from when I had the H&R's on with them to now.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do we say we consolidate all of your H&R threads into one instead of having 4 threads being open at once?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Unnecessary attitude, dude. And it's 3 topics, not 4. As you can see by the titles, they were all intended to be separate topics (although related, still separate), but they all seemed to meld into one big thread. I copied & pasted a few posts to each thread because those that find themselves searching whichever topic would probably find the info useful.
If a moderator would like to somehow scrunch these 3 threads all into one, that's fine by me.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an attitude, all of your threads have one common issue and it would make more sense to just have one thread or reply to one thread about it. And its 4 threads you started

1.) H&R's lowered rear too much ...
2.) Passenger side trailing arm & fenders rubbing with new wheels & tires
3.) Did your recently purchased H&R springs drop you more than advertised? Please read.
4.) What's the verdict on MAP trailing arms?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe I should start another topic titled "when itsslow98 says it's ok to start a new topic, and when he says you're not allowed... Even though he's not a moderator"...

Quick Reply: H&R's lowered rear too much ...