Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Staggered Tires + HR Springs + MM Spacers = Rubbing issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Hell, if we're doubling expenses so easily, then we should all just be spending twice what the GC's are worth and getting 'proper' coilovers like KW's etc. Haha JK
I see where you're coming from, but double the price isn't within everyone's idea of a reasonable price for a given mod. H&R and Eibach have been making lowering springs for a long time, and I think they're pretty decent at giving the best compromise between drivability and performance at a relatively low cost. Since I've compared both, proper lowering springs are leaps and bounds better than cut OEM springs at least.
But it's only $500...the extra piece of mind you get with knowing that whatever tires you decide on, you can then adjust the ride height to accommodate them, is easily worth the extra $250, IMO.

If that little extra amount will break the bank on this mod, then you probably shouldn't be spending any money on mods.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

The exact same argument can be said for KW's over the GC kit. It's no different that I decided to spend $250 on springs instead of $500 on the GC versus you deciding to go with the GC rather than KW's.
Personally, the $20 it cost for these rubber spacers to give me the ride height I wanted in the back was better than dealing with the known issues that the GC kit can have.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wes8398
The exact same argument can be said for KW's over the GC kit. It's no different that I decided to spend $250 on springs instead of $500 on the GC versus you deciding to go with the GC rather than KW's.
Personally, the $20 it cost for these rubber spacers to give me the ride height I wanted in the back was better than dealing with the known issues that the GC kit can have.
I disagree about the KWs over the GC kit comment. Aren't KWs almost $1300 for the kit. That is a far cry from the extra $250 I talked about above. Also, the KW doesn't give you spring options (although you do get shocks). Two different situations in my opinion.

To address your other comment, I had to go with the GC Kit because when I decided to lower my car, it was absolutely the only kit on the market (other than just springs), back in spring of 2006. I've had my car for longer than most (I bought it new in 2005) and there were far fewer parts available back then. So, I had no choice.

If I ever have to upgrade, I think I'll go with the LG true coilover kit.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

KW are more like 2K.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'll wish I had some adjustability once the winter comes, but otherwise I'm a happy camper with with what I've got.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Teching In

tweeter81, you actually read my mind. I've been doing a fair amount of research on this topic, specifically what it takes to get the H&R setup to work properly. Here's the cost breakdown as I see it (least expensive prices as I've found them with S/H):

- H&R Springs (TireRack) = $298
- MM Spacers (MightyMouse) = $65
- .375" Rubber Sheets x2 (McMaster-Carr) = $25
- TOTAL = $388

As for the Ground Control Coilover Kit (#2520.01), it is $474 at Group 5 MotorSport.

So we're looking at a whopping total price difference of $88. This seems like a no-brainer to go with the GC kit, unless I'm missing something.

tweeter81, can I get your e-mail?

Last edited by PrelateBishop; 07-10-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Staggered Tires + HR Springs + MM Spacers = Rubbing issues?