Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

About to install a bunch of goodies on the V... I have some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to install a bunch of goodies on the V... I have some questions....

Well fellas,
Im am getting closer to installing the goodies i just bought for the V.

On the list to install tomorrow...
-Kooks 1-3/4 Stainless headers with catless connector pipes. (I have the high flow catted connectors brand new in box that i am now selling in the classifieds should anyone be interested). Kooks headers came with hardware, cable socks and gaskets from kooks.

-Creative steel motor mounts with heat shields

-Competition Clutches stage 4 street/strip clutch with lightweight billet flywheel. Pretty sure the kit includes throwout bearing and everything else a clutch kit normally includes.

-Swapping another good T-56 in the car because the reverse synchro in my current trans is bad and was bad when i bought the car.

-Red Corvette fuel rail covers

Ok... Questions about current things I'm installing.

~For the headers, are the gaskets from kooks good or should I upgrade the gaskets before install? And are the header bolts good enough or is it worth the $115 for the ARP studs??

~For the clutch... What else should i get or do i need? Slave cylinder? Remote bleeder? Anything else??

~Im also thinking about ordering the trans mount, diff bushing and shifter bushings from creative steel today so i can install them while i'm under the car. Now for the trans and diff, i know i can go creative steel but for the shifter bushings, are the creative steel bushings as good as the UUC bushings? Is like to go CS just so i can order them all at the same time but does anyone have experience with these? What other bushings should i order to replace while I'm under there? Sway bar? Etc? The car has 120k on it now so surely it wouldn't hurt to replace those things. Just don't want to waste money on anything that isn't really needed.

Future plans...

Once i get through this phase of installs, i plan to order everything needed to do a brake upgrade (not calipers... just some nice crossdrilled and slotted rotors and good performance pads), a B&M short throw shifter (since i hate my stock modded one), possibly some fully adjustable coil overs (if i wanna pony up the cash) and definitely a cam kit, custom tune and the hendrix or g-force axels to eliminate the wheel-hop.

Last question at this time...

There are some OBX headers with resonated connectors posted in the classified which was the original set of headers i planned to run. I found the Kooks i have brand new in the box that another member purchased and decided to sell before he got to install them so i got a good deal on them. Question is... Do y'all think it would be worth picking up the OBX headers and selling the Kooks for some money back? Is there really an advantage to the kooks over the OBX? I've heard they are pretty much the same thing so if i can sell the kooks and pay half the price for OBX... Why not?

Would that be a smart move or am i better off keeping the kooks??

Thanks for the help in advance guys!!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

38 views and no replies? lol
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I say keep the kooks, so I will be able to get the other headers next month, LOL. That is a good idea to sell the kooks to save money, but will probably be more of a hassle than anything, because the kooks are not new from the factory anymore, but what every you do, keep us informed of the build.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Yeah... It would be a bit of a hassle for sure not to mention I'd have to find a buyer and deal with agreeing on a price and shipping and all that mess which would also delay the install. I had just heard the OBX headers were pretty much a replica of kooks design so for less than half the price, might be worth running them instead and getting a good chunk of money back. But the kooks have a great fit and finish and have nothing but good reviews! I'd hate to swap em out just to save some money but then deal with the OBX not fitting well, leaking, tarnishing, etc.

Kooks are still brand new and sealed in the box along with both sets of connectors I have for them. Everything is just as it would come from kooks!

I'll def keep everyone updated.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on my other questions? I need to order the other bushings, mounts, etc if I plan to have them for the install day but I wanna make sure I don't spend money on anything I don't need. That always sucks! Lol
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you installing the Header?
I may be free.

Use anti seize on the header bolts.
I went and got the stock GM gasket for my headers.

PB Blaster is a must to get the bolt off easy.
There are the bolts on my car.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GAR-56406-H/

Last edited by Stone17; 06-29-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you $500 for the kooks, go get thos OBX's you want

-meaty
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Stone... I'm shooting for tomorrow if my buddy is free. He has a shop and I've just been waiting for him to get a truck off his lift so I can use it. But thanks for the offer man! Should that plan change, I'll let you know. I plan to pick up the stock gm gaskets instead of using the ones that came with the headers.

Meaty... Buy me the OBX's and give me $500 and we might have a deal... lol
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Stone... I'm shooting for tomorrow if my buddy is free. He has a shop and I've just been waiting for him to get a truck off his lift so I can use it. But thanks for the offer man! Should that plan change, I'll let you know. I plan to pick up the stock gm gaskets instead of using the ones that came with the headers.

Meaty... Buy me the OBX's and give me $500 and we might have a deal... lol
I have one new GM gasket that Im not using. I'll sell it to you half price.
I can help after work.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I might just have to pick that up off you. I assume they sell then individually huh? And sounds good man. Shop is over in Santa fe. I'm waiting to hear back from him so I know if were doin it in the am for sure or not.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might just have to pick that up off you. I assume they sell then individually huh? And sounds good man. Shop is over in Santa fe. I'm waiting to hear back from him so I know if were doin it in the am for sure or not.
Sold individually.
Here the Part # 12617944

Are you helping install them?
Just hit me up tomorrow.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12617944/
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks bro! Yeah... It's a good buddy of mine so were just gonna tackle it together. If ur not busy and u wanna swing by, feel free! I got your pm. I'm just at the gym so I'm kinda half *** on the forum... Lol
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

grab the header studs, the bolts have leaked on mine from day one. I would even suggest the felpro from autozone or advanced for gaskets since they are thicker.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
grab the header studs, the bolts have leaked on mine from day one. I would even suggest the felpro from autozone or advanced for gaskets since they are thicker.
Autozone sells ARP bolts. Check them out.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks bro! Yeah... It's a good buddy of mine so were just gonna tackle it together. If ur not busy and u wanna swing by, feel free! I got your pm. I'm just at the gym so I'm kinda half *** on the forum... Lol
If you want the gasket its $10.
Not doing much good in the tool box.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stone17
Autozone sells ARP bolts. Check them out.
yea its not the brand its just teh fact its a bolt. the studs will definetly hold better and make install much easier since you can hang the headers right on the stud.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Itsslow98... Damn man... Gonna make me spring for those damn studs aren't ya? Lol

Stone... I'll let u know for sure tomorrow on the gasket. I'm gonna wait until I get to the shop in the am and see what my buddy thinks. If I need to pick some up immediately, I'll prob just grab the felpros.

Does autozone sell the ARP studs too?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Itsslow98... Damn man... Gonna make me spring for those damn studs aren't ya? Lol

Stone... I'll let u know for sure tomorrow on the gasket. I'm gonna wait until I get to the shop in the am and see what my buddy thinks. If I need to pick some up immediately, I'll prob just grab the felpros.

Does autozone sell the ARP studs too?
doubt autozone sells the studs. definetly dont use the POS gaskets the kooks come with. And yes the studs are hard to swallow for the money, and i admit i was a jew when i did the install and its kicking me in the *** now since im gonna have to do them all over.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

It shouldn't be so bad the second time around though. The headers are in... Should be able to loosen then, pull them back and down enough to get the studs in and then slide em back on and bolt them up. Shouldn't be anywhere as big of a pain as the initial install. But... I'll see if I can get those damn studs tomorrow. Better be gold plated for that price! Lol

As far as the clutch goes, should I need anything else? And does anyone know if the creative steel shifter bushings are any good? I'd like to order all mounts and bushing that I need in one shot so if the CS shifter bushings are good like the UUC's, I'll just go with them and keep everything on the car CS.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea it wont be as bad this time around ive repalced the gaskets twice already thinking that was the problem.

As far as the clutch goes I highly recommend the remote bleeder, never realized how nice it was till i did one on the mustang and I bled in 1 minute.

Also, I would check your shifter bushings before replacing them. I did UUCs when I did the B&M shifter and my stockers werent bad at all and the UUCs gave not one bit of a difference in feel.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get this too. SLP 160 Degree Thermostat

http://marylandspeed.com/slp-160-deg...228-p-474.html

and this. NGK Iridium IX TR-55IX

http://marylandspeed.com/ngk-iridium...-8-p-1113.html

I have a Skip-Shift Eliminator. You can have it for $10

Last edited by Stone17; 06-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.