Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
Thanks for sharing those...pretty awesome.

So the camera looked pretty stable. Guess you got the 8.8 vibs fixed??
It's certainly better than it was before now that I've gone back to the stock driveshaft carrier bearing, but I can still feel a little vibration if I am right at 42-43mph (which was where the vibration intensity was strongest with the poly carrier bearing). I had the other driveshaft checked out and they said they didn't find any issue with the front portion of the shaft (bent tube or input flange off kilter or something like that).

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Pat, anytime you want to do a day at NJMP. Check the drivers club calendar on the site and pick which track/date you can make...
Thanks, I'll almost certainly take you up on that - I still haven't run at either track up there.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a schedule. We can probably have a few V guys come to play...

Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Today I got an email from Chin Motorsports informing those of us that had attended the VIR a couple weeks ago that pictures were now up on Chin's site and on the photographer's site. There was a single sample photo at the top of the email. Out of all of the thousands of pictures that were taken, with Vipers, Porsches, BMWs, a couple open-wheel cars, an Ariel Atom, etc, what was the single photo that was chosen?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha Hell yeah congrats man
Old 06-21-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad there's a giant 28. Photoshop that out, definitely man-cave frame worthy
Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Got to two more events in the past few weeks, both new-to-me tracks.

Sep 2016 @ PittRace with Chin Motorsport:
First up was PittRace, formerly known as BeaveRun, which is about 45min NW of Pittsburgh. In my head I was thinking it would be a long haul to get up there, but it turns out it's about the same time to get to PittRace as it is to get to VIR, so not bad at all. The facility initially opened in the mid '00s, with just a 1.9-mile North Course - obviously, the name implied that there would someday be a South Course, but it took a decade or so for that to happen. They finally made the South Course (I think it opened last year), and although you could theoretically run 2 simultaneous events on the 2 courses, in actuality everyone just does the full course. That gives you 2.8 or 2.9 miles. Unfortunately, the old North Course portion is incredibly bumpy in spots; that's going to be resolved this fall/winter. Despite the bumpiness, though, the track was great - good flow, tons of elevation change, good mix of corners - and I look forward to going back next year when it's all as smooth as the new section is already.

Now, with all that said, I haven't captured a video from PittRace yet. Unfortunately, I had some technical difficulties with the memory card for my datalogger, so all I have is the HD video (no OBDII or GPS overlays). I find my own videos boring when I don't have the cool gauge overlays to look at, so I tend to lag behind on capturing them. I'll see about doing one tonight and updating the thread.

EDIT: Here's a bit over 2 laps from my 3rd session on Saturday. Watching the video now, I'm not sure why I was running the big Esses (from about 1:00 to 1:25 in the first lap) in 4th gear - probably should've gone to 3rd to let me adjust the car's balance with the throttle a bit more. Ah well... next time!

Sep 2016 @ Dominion Raceway with Potomac-Chesapeake Chapter of the Audi Club:
This past weekend I ran at Dominion Raceway, a track that just opened this year right off I-95 between Richmond and Fredericksburg. Very convenient for me - only 75min or so away (assuming I don't try to drive to/from there during peak hours on 95/495). The track was supposed to open in the spring, but due to construction delays (exacerbated by heavy snow in the winter and a wet spring) they didn't hold their first event until late July, I believe. And although the track is open, it's really not done yet - they've only got the first layer of asphalt down (and some nasty depressions/bumps have developed), much of the curbing isn't in the right spots and/or isn't long enough, there are significant drop-offs on the edge of the track, run-off area is limited to non-existent in spots, etc.

It's got a lot of potential, though, and I really enjoyed the course. I look forward to seeing what improvements are made in the off-season to address the issues that all of the various Mid-Atlantic clubs (SCCA PDX, NASA, Chin, PCA, etc etc) have raised.

Here are a few laps from my last session on Saturday:

That session was a lot of fun. The black RS5 let me by about mid-way through the video (so 4 or 5 laps into the session). He then hung around behind me for a few laps, so I let him back by about half-way through the session. He opened out a little, then I reeled him back in, and he let me by again and followed me for the last 7 or 8 minutes of the session. I went and talked to him afterwards - as I approached him in the paddock he was jokingly telling his wife that he had let me by because he wanted to get some footage from my rear-view camera. We talked a bit about how much fun the session was, and he said to me, "You're flogging the **** out of that thing out there!"

I'll have more video to share in the coming days; I recorded with my HD camera stuck to the inside of the windshield, and an SD camera shooting off the trunk, so I need to get some software so I can do PiP like I used to do with 2 SD cameras.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 09-22-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Following up on the Dominion event, here's a clip with the picture-in-picture showing the rearview camera.

You'll note that there's some black triangular masking on the corners of the PiP - that's because I didn't have any way to verify the ChaseCam on the trunk was mounted correctly, and it turned out it was ~110deg off vertical. Oops. I downloaded a trial of Adobe Premiere Pro, which allowed me to rotate the video 110deg (Windows Movie Maker will only do 90deg increments), then put the rotated vid into the PiP. Success!

October 2016 @ Watkins Glen with Hooked on Driving (HOD):
This was my first trip to Watkins Glen since 2001. At that event I was driving my N/A Subaru Legacy, which at that time had a bone stock powertrain, so a whopping 165bhp. I was able to go WOT from turn-in at Turn 1 until I got to the Bus Stop at the end of the back straight. Even with my foot on the floor, the car would literally not accelerate through the Uphill Esses - the combination of the steep climb + cornering forces was enough that it just held speed at ~95mph until I started to unwind the wheel at the top of the Esses. Based on ancient videos (recorded on a Digital8 Sony mini-cam and transferred to my computer via FireWire 15 years ago) my lap times were in the ~2:50 range. Needless to say, the CTS-V was a slightly different story - I haven't gotten through all the videos, but looks like I was routinely in the 2:17s, and there are probably some quicker laps if I ever managed to put it all together for a solid lap.

Weather was cool both mornings, but clear and dry. HOD put on an excellent event, with plenty of track time and Ross Bentley on hand to impart some of his driving wisdom.

Note that the speedo is a bit optimistic, as my track tires are shorter than stock, so the car thinks it's going faster than it really is. But it's still hauling ***! I think the car was capable of going up the Esses without lifting off the throttle, but the virtual tunnel of blue Armco barriers is pretty daunting, so I couldn't bring myself to go flat through there. Maybe next time!

At about the 2:15 point I turned in a bit too early (common mistake of turning in when the car ahead of you does) and came unnecessarily close to the outside wall as I turned onto the front straight. You can kind of hear me laughing at how I almost screwed myself - "That was way closer than it needed to be!" or words to that effect.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing the videos man, addicting to watch. Dying to get my V out on the track again soon.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Another clip from Watkins Glen, this time just the standard def rear-view camera. (As explained in the Youtube description, my windshield camera's battery had died a few minutes earlier in the session.)

Viper ACR (3375#, 645bhp, 295 front / 355 rear purpose-built R-comps, massive downforce) vs 2005 CTS-V (~3750#, ~460bhp, 275 R-comps, no downforce) in the Esses:

Edit: A pic of one of the ACR rear tires vs one of my street rears (275):

That's a lot of rubber!!

Last edited by AAIIIC; 10-25-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

NJMP this Friday? 10/28
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

No, can't do it - I'm already taking time off next week to go to VIR Thu/Fri/Sat. I haven't forgotten about your generous invitation, but the dates haven't worked out with other events I had planned to attend and work obligations.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

My final event of the season, 3 days straight at VIR last week. Thursday and Saturday were on the 3.27mi Full Course, and Friday was on the 4.2mi Grand Course. I have more video to get through, but here's a couple laps from the Grand Course on Friday, trying to chase down a KTM X-bow. The session was cut short so I wasn't able to get the satisfaction of actually earning the point-by, but I think it was coming.

An added treat for this last event of the season was that I rented a session in a Radical SR3 on Saturday. Due to the way the schedule worked out, I ended up going out in the blue/intermediate group, which did detract from the experience a bit due to the more restrictive passing rules. (In my normal run group it's pass anywhere with a point, whereas the blue group only allowed passing on specific straightaways.)

As for the car itself, it was pretty awesome. I wish I had taken my camera over to get some pictures to go along with the video. Motorcycle engine, 6-speed sequential gearbox - I only touched the clutch pedal to get moving (poorly, as you'll see ) and to bring it to a stop at the end. No-lift upshifts, auto-rev-matched downshifts. Shifting around 9000rpm; in 6th I was topping it out and having to ease off a little to keep it around 9k. Afterwards I asked what the top end is and the mechanic said "mid 130s" as it was geared for that event; I told him I was wanting another gear. So, about what the V does on the front straight, and slower than the V on the back straight, but the Radical gets to that top speed way, way sooner - in the V I'm accelerating the full length of the straight until I brake, whereas the Radical was topping out 6th gear by 1/3 - 1/2 way down the straights! Despite that, the acceleration didn't feel all that brisk compared to the V, which was kind of weird.

I think I was working the brakes pretty good (particularly on a couple passes into turn 1), but I'm sure I wasn't even scratching the surface of the cornering performance. Other than karts, which are a completely different animal, I've never driven anything that has so much more grip than typical cars. That made it awfully tough to know how to approach corners. I'm guessing if I had a speed plot of the session I would see that my cornering speeds weren't significantly higher than what I do in my cars. On the couple of occasions when I did yank it into a corner, I just started laughing at the level of grip.

I was definitely left wanting more, but it was a helluva experience, and a great way to cap off this track season.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seemed like that KTM was just stomping the brakes right in front of you. This is why Spy Hunter had machine guns and missiles.

WTF was that at ~3:00? Didn't expect NASCAR to show up so suddenly.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

The KTM wasn't doing anything weird. Much lighter car, so much shorter braking distances.

The stock car is a retired Martin Truex Jr. car, I've seen it out at events a number of times. (I think it's Truex - I remember talking to the guy about it a couple years ago.) Pretty insane. It's a Tracker Boats / Bass Pro Shop car, I think this is about the right body style:

Road course chassis, so it's not driving around with the splitter planted to the track like that oval track car there, but you get the idea.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's like Usain Bolt showing up at the local park to "jog" past the fat guys like me.
Pretty cool to share a track with such a thing though. What would that be powered by if it's "retired?" Would they remove the restrictors and such for fun, or de-tune it?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen a few retired stockers like that over the years. I would assume they're detuned a bit, just for the sake of extending time between rebuilds. They're certainly not lacking for horsepower, even if they are detuned!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome on taking the radical for a session. Even in the top group you need to point by? Most top groups i've been in are pass wherever , whenever.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

The only club I know of that runs that way is NASA, and I don't run with them. Either Trackdaze or Chin (I can't remember which it was) started to go that way, then said point-bys were optional, and has now gone back to pass anywhere with a point.

Honestly, I prefer the point-bys. I want to be as certain as I can be that I'm on the same page with the other driver when I'm passing or being passed. There are a few spots at VIR, for instance, that are great for passing if both drivers are in sync; I would not be comfortable passing in those spots if I wasn't certain the other driver knew I was going to dive inside of them into the next corner.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

It may not be needed but some guys will give a point just out of courtesy.
I'll do it during a race sometimes as well. It may not be as pronounced as a Green group DE point-by but I'll point a finger just so everyone is on the same page (nobody wants to be that guy)
With multiple classes on the track at the same time, I try not to race out of my class and would like the same in return. Now if it's for position then all bets are off...
Old 11-20-2016, 09:12 AM
JDB
Launching!

It appears we keep doing opposite track days, but it's certainly not your lack of attending DEs. I have since sold my V (1/15) and went back to Audi... when I found a very low mileage 2007 S4 DTM. We're moving to VA, so maybe actually get back to the Audi DEs at VIR and Slumit.

If you do get to NJMS, I highly recommend Thunderbolt. I was there with the Porsche club in the Black run group and certainly a much faster group of drivers than many red/advanced groups of other clubs.

And I hope one day to relate to your Watkins Glen experience. Last time I was there, T1 still ended in a sand trap and the signs still said Winston Cup, and I was in my 210hp A4 trying to stay in the 2:3Xs.

Wow, that seat time in the Radical must've been fun. Seeing things like that make me want to just get a track car and stop using a street car.

Quick Reply: An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years