Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A short video shot by my brother on his phone during the event at VIR a few weeks back. This is on the long back straight - he was standing in the South Paddock.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

OK, 7 months later, another clip from that event @ VIR back in November. First, there's nobody in the car with me - I can't tell what the hell I'm talking about, but I'm just babbling to myself. Second, the GT3 brakes after the first turn into the Uphill Esses, which is a very bad place to brake if someone is following you. A bit of a pucker moment for me. Third, he fails to lift after giving me a point-by, prompting my frustrated comment. And fourth, I was determined to take the point-by on that straight and went waaay deeper into that braking zone that I normally do - but I pulled it off!

I should have some video up in the next day or two from the event I did Memorial Day weekend at PittRace up by Pittsburgh, just gotta peruse some video and find some decent clips to upload.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a clip from Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Some pretty impressive hardware out there - Ferrari 458 Challenge car, Porsche GT3 Cup car, Viper Comp Coupe, plus some other "normal" cars.

PittRace is a very fun track, and they resurfaced the older 1/2 of it over the winter (the north course portion), so it's much better now than it was when I ran it for the first time last fall. Despite being on less sticky tires (Nitto NT01s this time vs Hankook Z214s last time), my best laps were ~4 seconds faster - greater familiarity with the course, grippier surface, and no need to compromise the line in a couple of spots due to the nasty bumps in the old asphalt.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 06-13-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

On Sat/Sun of 4th of July weekend I was down at VIR, running the full course with Chin Motorsports. Here are a couple clips from the last session on Sunday. For that session I re-positioned my 2nd camera from the trunk lid (looking back) to the passenger side rear door window (looking at the driver). It's been a while since I've shot any video that actually shows me.

The first clip is just a few good laps.

The next clip has a little more to it. Same session, just a few minutes later. First, I was experimenting throughout the weekend with trying to get a bit more rotation into turn 3, the left-hand turn known as "NASCAR". This time I gave it a bit too much gas, so the *** end came out a bit. Just as I caught it and was thinking I had done so nice and smooth, the right rear got to the rumble strip, and the rear stepped out again. Whoops!

Right after that I let one of the multiple 911 GT3 Cup cars go by (I think there were 4 at the event? Maybe 5). Those things were ridiculously fast!

Last but not least, a demonstration of the different strengths and weaknesses of different cars. Around the 3min point a Miata lets me by on the back straight and I go blowing by with probably a 30+mph speed differential. By the time we get to the bottom of the "roller coaster", 5 or 6 turns later, he's on my bumper (actually, he was probably on my bumper about 1/2 way down the hill). If you watch at about the 3:30 point you'll see the flagger on the right show me the blue passing flag. That's why I flashed the as I proceed onto the front straight, just to say, "Hey, nice driving, and thanks for being patient through this section where you're faster than me (but now I'm going to disappear due to my 300hp advantage)."

Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How's the shifter working? Any clutch issues? Looked good from what I could see.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

All seemed well. Checked the clutch fluid level a couple times during the weekend and it was staying where it should. Shifter is definitely notchier than the old UUC, to the point I shorted the 3-4 shift a couple times because it doesn't just slide right into gear, but that's just a matter of getting used to it.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
All seemed well. Checked the clutch fluid level a couple times during the weekend and it was staying where it should. Shifter is definitely notchier than the old UUC, to the point I shorted the 3-4 shift a couple times because it doesn't just slide right into gear, but that's just a matter of getting used to it.
Yeah, I noticed you were fighting the detent there, but chalked it up to the same everyone has mentioned. Is Brian making offset adapters with a 0.5-0.75" height increase yet, or is the **** direct to the shifter base? A little bit of height makes a big difference in getting through that particular shift.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely shorter than the UUC. The V2 **** on the modified lever doesn't sit as low as the Hurst ****/lever combo does (based on pics I've seen), but I still think I would prefer if it was a bit higher. Something like this would be great, although I think that one is too tall.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*cough* It's time for a head and neck device: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...special-price/ *cough*
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

More to the point, it's time to start wearing the Simpson FIA Hybrid that I bought over a year ago. I've worn it a few times, but haven't made it a habit.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always. Love the videos.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

I've been delinquent in getting videos captured. I ran at Summit Point back in August, still haven't really done anything with the video from that day. And then I ran 3 days at VIR in November, and I'm just starting to work on those.

The one video I have gotten from the Summit Point event:
Found out the hard way that I hadn't done a thorough enough job bedding in my new pads. Oops! I was a good 20+mph too fast at the point where I normally turn in.

And a video from the November VIR event:
First session of the second day, which was quite wet, as you can see. Who was the first guy to line up on the grid at the Audi Club event? Yeah, that's right, the idiot in the 400rwhp Caddy on R-comps.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Any idea what your current best time around VIR is? I only ask because I just saw the 2019 ZR1 time haha
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for posting all your adventures. Love the colorful commentary to that yellow GT3
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Any idea what your current best time around VIR is? I only ask because I just saw the 2019 ZR1 time haha
I dunno, probably about the same as whatever a '19 ZR1 runs. Fastest I've ever done was a 2:13 flat. Pretty sure I was on Hankook Z214s for that. I should be faster now, as they've repaved and the new pavement is supposed to be faster, but the last few times I've been have been on slower tires (NT01s or Maxxis RC1s).
Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That is faster than the ZR1 as it went I think 2:37 so.....ya got that! haha unless there is different course length options?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

There are multiple configurations at VIR. My 2:13 is on the Full Course, which is the one most commonly used for track days. There's a longer Grand Course, which is what Car and Driver uses for their Lightning Lap issue. Presumably that's the configuration the ZR1 was running.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Finally got out to my first 2018 event last weekend, an HPDRE @ Dominion Raceway. It was hot and humid, and I was a bit lazy, so I never got around to installing my Chase Cam setup to log GPS and OBD2 data. And I didn't even get the HD camera set up on the windshield until my final session of the day. Here's a few laps ...

Old 06-24-2018, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

The lack of runoff on that track, especially after the long straight, is a little disconcerting. Would've loved to see you huck it at that left hand corner in the S's (e.g. 4:35).
Old 06-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed! The exit after the tunnel w/ jersey barrier to the right looks interesting. I see a donut on it and can only image the type of adjustment that would do to my car.

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The lack of runoff on that track, especially after the long straight, is a little disconcerting. Would've loved to see you huck it at that left hand corner in the S's (e.g. 4:35).

Quick Reply: An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years