Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Funny "is that a V" moment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I get more comments about having a 6speed manual then a vette motor crammed under the hood...
to be honest....... me too
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant say I blame him for not knowing since it was debadged. I mean think about it, how many people come in here almost daily and ask, "tell me what i need to know......or.....whats the difference between 04-05 and 06-07"?

People have no idea.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swiss
Not that one, buuut....

1) Forgot his name but I think it had "Photography" or something in it. The wheels are Vogue CV7s; Vogue is a company Cadi used quite a bit to option up some cars. The CV7s are a popular rim choice, and guess what... They look like chromed versions of the V1 stockers! [gasp!]
2 & 3) o3CTS's 3.2L car. Supercharged then changed to a turbo setup. Again, I remember reading threads about guys doing V1 bumper swaps for ~5-600 bucks. It's a starting mod for a lot of people. The V & non-V models share the same body, so guess what? EC markets that hood to both the V cars & the non-V cars. [shocking]
4) TommyComptons old car.
5) Jon04CTSV's car -- he also had a blue C6, and a Black 04 V. I think his silver car was a 06?
6) Don't recognize this car.

Ironic that even the V owner didn't recognize that the cars were V6s.

Hmm...
Originally Posted by wcryan
you would have to be a complete retard to not know the difference between a cts and a cts-v.

And if your a gearhead or car guy you should definately be ashamed of yourself not to know the difference.

*edit*
fun info I just remembered existed, from the old FAQ:

Originally Posted by http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/production.html
MY 2004 CTS-V total = 2461 (retail = 2454, fleet = 7)

MY 2005 CTS-V total = 3508 (retail = 3483, fleet = 25)
^^ take that, and distribute it among 50 US states, Canada, Europe & Asia.
And I remember hearing a statistic way back in 2007 that over a quarter-million V6 CTSes were produced.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 08-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

v6's with sportmode........ I'm scared of those things
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Honestly, you blame him for not knowing the minor body differences between the v6 and v8 CTSes?

The car was de-badged, and he clearly knew of the Vs and had an appreciation for them if he gave a **** enough to come over & check it out.

So, he didn't notice that it's a 6 lug vs a 5 lug, or that calipers, or the extra line in the rear bumper. But among the V6 CTS crowd, a mess grille & V-bumper were a *common* and essential upgrade.

As far as he knew, it was a de-badged CTS with wheels & a grille; A "wanna-v," if you will.

As far as V8 rumble, the Magnaflow in the lower RPMs isn't that loud. You could see how someone unfamiliar with these cars could disregard it as a V6 with say a Flowmaster or soemthing.

I think he had an appreciation for the V-series, and probably would have shot the **** with you about the car and stood there drooling if you told him it was a V or popped the hood for him.

this is true
Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
I actually atleast find this funny. I am getting RATHER tired of sayign the following line......

NO THIS IS NOT THE SUPERCHARGED ONE! adn then i just get sad inside.
yeah lets be serious.... 99% of people dont know about the V series. M yes, amg sure, but V only put out one serious marketing push and it was with this current cts-v platform. and thats fully warranted for what it can do.

our cars will forever get mistaken for being supercharged... and once the new crop of V vehicles come out it would get further less noticed.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to get the "Is that the supercharged one?" with my V1 and I thought that conversation was over once I picked up the V2. But, low and behold, I was at the local gas station and a GTP full of 20 somethings asks me, "V12 or V10?" I told them it was a supercharged 8 and the guy simply states, " you should get on the pre-order list for the new V12 ones but yours is still a nice car." There is always someone out there with some off the mark comment
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

just tell him the list was too long
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Not me. Im married and my wife is NOT impressed with my car. To her its somethign I spend money on instead of her or the house. My wheels/headers/cam should have been her island/counter.
+10000000000000000 -
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

But you gota love em.

This morning she found a stray dog as we left the house. So all morning was spent taking the dog tot he vet and then putting up posters. I was close to just saying keep it.

BTW little 7.8lbs chiuahua..

OWner called 10 minutes after we put up the posters.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcryan
the regular cts is for some reason, very ugly compared to the V
This thread is pretty weird...

But anyway, I think the CTS is still a great looking car, and as stylish as it was when it first debuted almost 10 years ago. The only thing that looks a bit dated is the wheels. Some clean 17-18" wheels and the car would look like it could be a brand new model.

Originally Posted by HeavyH20
I used to get the "Is that the supercharged one?" with my V1 and I thought that conversation was over once I picked up the V2. But, low and behold, I was at the local gas station and a GTP full of 20 somethings asks me, "V12 or V10?" I told them it was a supercharged 8 and the guy simply states, " you should get on the pre-order list for the new V12 ones but yours is still a nice car." There is always someone out there with some off the mark comment
I don't understand the V12 thing, what are people confusing it with? I was parking at work and a guy came over to ask me about my car. He just bought a gen 2 CTS, and was excited about the "V". He asked me if mine was a V12 as well, and I told him no, Cadillac never put a V12 in a CTS. Then he said "Oh, it must be the new ones", which I told him were supercharged V8's. I sort of wanted to ask him why he thought any Cadillac had a V12, just to understand where it comes from. But I didn't know the guy, and figured he might take it as me trying to belittle him or something.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I had the hood popped once and was showing a few guys in my unit under the hood when one of them walked up and said, "yeah too bad it's an automatic." I told him it wasn't so he peeked inside and was in complete shock.

Before I moved to TX I had VA vanity plates that said PSYCHO V. It was starting to get irritating explaining to people that it meant "V" and not "five".
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed about the V12 crap! Where in the heck do people get that from? Perhaps a lack of motor knowledge and when they hear "V" they think of the biggest engine size they have heard of... Weird indeed.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha... i tell people all the time its a V6.. but no one believes me

also i like freaking people out at stop lights.. i'll let off the brake and roll back towards them. no one expects a 6speed cadi
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I've tried the whole "It's a V6 with a body kit and exhaust" thing myself.... Back in the day when I had 2 15" subs, people would ask "What kind of system you got in there?", I never would offer anything but "It's 2 6x9s with a WalMart amp"
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
The Roman Numeral V=5...I assume that's what he is referring to.
Yep ... and it took me a minute when asked.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Take badges off car...get offended when someone doesn't know what it is...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Not offended that they didn't know. A lot of people won't know. Just the obvious arrogance to not ask and assume he knew enough to out and out claim what it was/is.

People will get it wrong. His arrogance is what was amusing. People ask me about the car all the time. And I answer them each time. But this guy was just arrogant that he knew for a fact mine wasn't a V
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have noticed here the ratio to V6 CTS's to "V's" is quite astounding.

I see CTS's everywhere I go. Not just one or two, but TONS. I used to think I was blending in when I was driving my Miata, but now I see what it's like to have the Honda Civic of Cadillacs lol

Picture attached for reference... I was at Walmart the other day, me and two other CTS's.

At least it's nice to have the "Civic SI" of Caddy's

-meaty
Attached Thumbnails Funny "is that a V" moment-walmartcts.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

without the v6 version there would be no V
Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meaty-

Isn't that one on the right a STS? (Note the sidemarker in the rear bumper...)

Quick Reply: Funny "is that a V" moment