Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V vs M5...uh-oh....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they get cross shopped - 2dr or 4dr doesn't really matter to a lot of people that are just looking at cool fast cars within a certain price range. Like my list - includes everything from a 98 STS to a Boxster S/911 to a G35 coupe or sedan to a C5 to a 540i/740i Sport to an XJR to a CTS-V. And that new Mazdaspeed Miata looks damn good for 26K too....

For me, it doesn't have to be a particular size or shape, it just has to be an enthusiast vehicle in some shape form or fasion. It has to have something that makes it attractive from a car nut perspective, be it drop dead good looks, power or handling. All of the above is nice too
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

TTopJohn that's a wide range for you, that's like saying any car that does 0-60 in less than 8 seconds is on your list.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
TTopJohn that's a wide range for you, that's like saying any care that does 0-60 in less than 8 seconds is on your list.
Well I'm a similar situation. I think I would quantify it like this.

I either want (1) car that is most luxury and performance in the $45K-$55K range

or

I want (2) cars, one for me (~$30K) and an SUV for my Fiance (~$30K)

So I'm finding myself looking at a ton of new cars. Thankfully there are lots of choices on the market now both used and news, and I think the dour economy has made the used car market a smart place to shop. conversly I do get a GM employee discount so that makes the CTS-V rather competitive. Funny my two scenarios mean I'm considering both a CTS-V and a GTO...

-Adam
Old 03-13-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
TTopJohn that's a wide range for you, that's like saying any car that does 0-60 in less than 8 seconds is on your list.
Almost - but the cutoff is about 7 seconds. And if it's that slow, it better be REAL good looking(Jag XJ8), handle like a dream(740iL). Really, I'm just looking for anything that makes me think "that's a cool car" for whatever reason. The game is how much fun can you have for X dollars? I think a lot of people look at it this way. I have $X, and I like enthusiast vehicles. What's out there that I simply must experience?
So my list doesn't follow strict limits on what kind of car it has to be. It just has to be between 10K(not so good job) and 50K(great job), have a sporting nature in some sense, and have something cool about it.

Here's the list :

Audi
S8:Big Bad Audi – S55/740i Sport competitor. A8 4.2 is a cheaper, slower option. IR windshield may be a problem
S6: I think it’s Avant only? S8 Engine in A6 package
S4: More civilized than M3, probably too small

BMW
5 Series: Problem areas (also applies to E38): Radiator, water pump, Fan Clutch, front and rear suspension pieces, door seals, pixels, Oil Separator/intake manifold rear piece (needs disassembly and cleaning at high miles) Valve cover gaskets, oil pump bolts.
E39 M5 00-02: It’s an M5.
E39 540 99-03: Faster below 5000rpm than E34 M5, but easier to work on. Wow it drives great! (03 540i/6)
E34 M5: Classic body style, with 310hp. Needs top end rebuild, all suspension pieces, LKM, seat cables, A/C, water pump, radiator, etc…. So look for one that has all that done already
7 Series 99-01
740i Sport
: Sport package means lower gears, Torque Converter, M-Parallels, Sport suspension.
750iL: Sport package just means shadowline & M-Parallels, all 750s have S EDC and Steptronic. Full leather, active seats, power heated rear seats, more wood
740i or il: slower but cheaper option

Cadillac
CTS: Great drivers car, but does it have enough presence? G35 is cheaper, and has more power
DTS: 04 has heated & cooled seats. Night Vision. FWD is a negative, but like the STS it’s cheap compared to everything else here. Limited to 130mph
SRX: A Sport Utility option. Northstar V8 and Ultraview Sunroof
STS: 03 has Magnetic Ride. Performance Algorithm Shifting. Rockin’ Bose stereo, HIDs. Limited to 150mph

Chevrolet
Corvette: 03 or 04 preferred – Mag Ride. The “don’t buy a sedan until you have to” argument.

Infiniti
Q45:Low mile 1st Gen, or a 3rd Gen
M45: Not the best looker, but 340hp in smaller package than Q, and CHEAP to buy used. Heated & Cooled seats. However – why not just get the XJR instead?
G35: Could get a new one of these for the price of other used stuff. The Practical Choice – Others look better, have more “special” interior touches, but this one drives as well or better than all of them, has plenty of room and luxury features, and every piece you come in contact with to drive the car is high quality.

Jaguar
XJR: No sedan looks better. The Look. That’s it. Game over. 2001 or newer to avoid Blower Whine, 2000 or newer to avoid Nikasil & Timing Chain Tensioner issues. some 2001s have problems with fading wood trim – avoid unless you can verify that wood was replaced. 03 has sport tuned CATS. Sapphire Blue - They exist, saw an 01 on cars.com
Super V8 / Vanden Plas Supercharged: XJR Power, comfort tuned CATS, and VDP luxury & more rear legroom
XJ8: Lower powered, slower, but great value. Can get a 2000 – because with no blower, there’s no blower whine. But do you kick yourself every time an XJR passes by? And pass they will, with 80 more horsepower.

Lexus
SC400: 1998-2000 Classic coupe shape looks so good it survives the ill advised move by Lexus to ugly it up with ground effects and a grill. 99+ has three spoke steering wheel. I6 twin turbo not an option too much $ and no cruise control
GS400/GS430: Not a stunning looker, but good handling and acceleration in a roomy, reliable package. Japanese 540.
IS 300: Cheap – 31K sticker for a stick shift with Alcantara. Solid feeling, great to drive. Sort of ricer looking

Maserati
Coupe: Resale is dropping, will be in the 50K range soon. Ferrari with a bigger V8 & a back seat

Mercedes
C230 Sport?: Enticing – new Benz for $35,000ish msrp. But too much $ for too little car. 189 horsepower? Screw that, get a New 260 hp G35 or a 2002 275hp E430 for same $.
E430: Roomier than the 5 series, Has some problem areas, but no more than the E39. Crank Pullies, Tranny(valve body & control unit updates), sunroof rattles, Motor Mounts, Evap temp sensors(A/C), Front lca bushings, fuel tank sending units, front seat frame(rock).
E55: 99-02
E500 93-95: but maybe the 99-02 E55 is a much better idea? Does the much talked about “feels more solid” characteristic of the W124 platform make up for the extra 4 to 9 years of age? I think not. But those flared fenders do look cool. And it is assembled by Porsche. So I would have a Porsche and a Mercedes ;-) 2003+? Not likely, too much $.
S500:00 or 01 doable
S600/CL600:Old body style

Pontiac
GTO: LS1 RWD. Drives great. Great interior. Bland looks, no sunroof, no HIDs, etc... But a great car nontheless.

Porsche
Boxster S: 2003+ for glass rear window. but it’s not a 911
911: Cobalt Blue

Volvo
V70R: 300 Horsepower, 155mph Wagon. Heh Heh, heh heh. S60R Sedan version is nice too

Quick Reply: CTS-V vs M5...uh-oh....